SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Comní Cali Crappie guys, there is no need to be shy!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Im pushing 40 to, lol. Ive fished indian but since the lake got so low alot fewer crappie. Ill be in nor cal fishing all spring. yell if you want some company. rob
    ever try bullards bar for crappie?
    Hi Rob, I was at Indian Valley Res two years ago and caught a bunch under 10 inches and didn't keep any. Wanted them to grow out but we had a horrible drought last year and haven't been back. As you know, the dirt road to reach the ramp isn't the most kind especially hauling a 17 footer behind.

    Never fished for crappie at bullards. Heard about it though. I took some Boy Scouts camping out there one year and way too many day boaters.

    I've tried Collins one summer night and only one male crappie. No hope at all. Collins doesn't put in the effort to grow out crappie. However, lake is infested with stock trouts from private companies and if your lucky, free ice cream.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    39 here. I absolutely love crappie fishing! Unfortunately I have really only done it in Louisiana (Cross Lake) and Arkansas (Nimrod & Ouchita) when I have gone back there to visit grandparents. Here in California I have caught white and black crappie in the Delta sloughs and black crappie in the dredger ponds along the Feather River between Gridley and Oroville. I really need to start Crappie Fishing more here in Nor Cal!

    Oh my pic is of a 5lb Drum I caught out of Nimrod Lake in Arkansas while Crappie fishing. I was hoping it was going to be a monster Crappie but wasn't the case!
    Last edited by BPcrappie; 02-01-2015 at 02:22 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPcrappie View Post
    39 here. I absolutely love crappie fishing! Unfortunately I have really only done it in Louisiana (Cross Lake) and Arkansas (Nimrod & Ouchita) when I have gone back there to visit grandparents. Here in California I have caught white and black crappie in the Delta sloughs and black crappie in the dredger ponds along the Feather River between Gridley and Oroville. I really need to start Crappie Fishing more here in Nor Cal!

    Oh my pic is of a 5lb Drum I caught out of Nimrod Lake in Arkansas while Crappie fishing. I was hoping it was going to be a monster Crappie but wasn't the case!
    Hello BPcrappie, thanks for the information. I had a feeling there would some crappies in the Dredger ponds, always wondered about it when I passed by to Collins Lake.

    I got the opportunity to spend a week in the midwest a few years ago and learned how to spider rig. It was fun and effective, but too bad we are limited to two poles out here. The upside is that it is so peaceful fishing for crappies in Cali because no one seems to go for them. I was at Stonyford Reservior one early summer and hit a pod of crappies in some 20ft laydown trees. The two of us limited out in an hour keeping all over 10". This bass guy pulls up and asked how I plan to cook those CARP. I kept secrets in the cooler and said, "probably fry em". He responded, "good luck with the smell buddy!" We all laughed together, but what he did not know was that we were laughing at him. That evening, I took some fried crappie over to his camp and he was shocked how good the CARP's tasted. That just tells you how much most fisherman in Cali do not know about crappies out here.

    Sorry for the long winded reply. Just too many funny fishing stories over the years of lonely crappie fishing in CA.
    Likes Scouts Out, BPcrappie LIKED above post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mitchell, AL
    Posts
    1,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    lol11. 44 years old here, moving to California this summer so I've been watching your State's forum. Thanks for the post. Been trying to Googlemaps all of the lakes you mentioned to see driving distances. I'm from Tennessee (spiderriger mostly except bobbers in the spring). Live in Kansas now 10 minutes from the ramp, mostly spiderrig and dip trees, but gonna try this long lining thing this year as my lake is really clear here a lot until I move. Guess I gotta figure something else out for your 2 pole limit. Look forward to reading your posts. Brad
    Name:  spider rig from dave boat.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  41.3 KB
    Last edited by Scouts Out; 02-03-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    Likes BPcrappie LIKED above post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lol11 View Post
    Hello BPcrappie, thanks for the information. I had a feeling there would some crappies in the Dredger ponds, always wondered about it when I passed by to Collins Lake.

    I got the opportunity to spend a week in the midwest a few years ago and learned how to spider rig. It was fun and effective, but too bad we are limited to two poles out here. The upside is that it is so peaceful fishing for crappies in Cali because no one seems to go for them. I was at Stonyford Reservior one early summer and hit a pod of crappies in some 20ft laydown trees. The two of us limited out in an hour keeping all over 10". This bass guy pulls up and asked how I plan to cook those CARP. I kept secrets in the cooler and said, "probably fry em". He responded, "good luck with the smell buddy!" We all laughed together, but what he did not know was that we were laughing at him. That evening, I took some fried crappie over to his camp and he was shocked how good the CARP's tasted. That just tells you how much most fisherman in Cali do not know about crappies out here.

    Sorry for the long winded reply. Just too many funny fishing stories over the years of lonely crappie fishing in CA.
    Haha....your story definitely gave me a good laugh. If I had a boat I would fish for them more often but I did just buy a fishing kayak so I can get out there at least now. I'm probably heading to New Melones for my first time ever this Saturday. I've heard it's a pretty good Crappie lake as you also mentioned in your post on the various lakes.

    @Scouts Out - Hey Brad...where in Cali are you moving to?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Im pushing 40 to, lol. Ive fished indian but since the lake got so low alot fewer crappie. Ill be in nor cal fishing all spring. yell if you want some company. rob
    ever try bullards bar for crappie?
    Hey Rob...what Lakes you mostly going to be fishing this spring? Brent

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mitchell, AL
    Posts
    1,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPcrappie View Post

    @Scouts Out - Hey Brad...where in Cali are you moving to?
    Brent, I think ya'll call it southern California?...Fort Irwin. Only been there once, but flew in, flew out. Never seen anything else in California, but looking forward. Hope i can catch some of them CARPs! Brad

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPcrappie View Post
    Haha....your story definitely gave me a good laugh. If I had a boat I would fish for them more often but I did just buy a fishing kayak so I can get out there at least now. I'm probably heading to New Melones for my first time ever this Saturday. I've heard it's a pretty good Crappie lake as you also mentioned in your post on the various lakes.

    @Scouts Out - Hey Brad...where in Cali are you moving to?
    BPcrappie, I am going to send you a private message. I am no pro but thought I would give you my 2 cents on that lake. Been there a few times.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouts Out View Post
    Brent, I think ya'll call it southern California?...Fort Irwin. Only been there once, but flew in, flew out. Never seen anything else in California, but looking forward. Hope i can catch some of them CARPs! Brad
    Bummer. I haven't done any Crappie fishing in So Cal Lakes but you will still have some options I'm sure.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lol11 View Post
    Now, now, Iím nearing my 40ís and fished Crappie in Nor Cal most my life. I know there are a lot of dedicated crappie anglers in California so lets talk and share ideas. I have spent a few summers chasing crappies in the Midwest and the crappies here seem to migrate a little differently. Anyways, weíve probably crossed each other on the water and even said hello. In my experiences, crappie anglers are the best because we donít have to deal with ďfish on, so reel your line or Iíll fight you!Ē You California guys know what I mean.
    Here are the waters I have personally pulled crappies out of in the past 3 years and my opinion of them:
    San Luis Reservoir: Big crappies but have to find them.
    Don Predro Reservoir: Big crappies and an abundant of them.
    New Melones Lake: Big crappies and an abundant of them.
    New Hogan Lake: Sad lake for crappies. DFG stock stripers and they have overtaken the lake. If you do catch a crappie, I assure you it will be a 2 pounder. I pulled three out on the northeast coves 05/2013. All were 14-15Ē and that was the day.
    Camanche Reservoir: Average size and an abundant of them. Just got to know where to look.
    Pardee Reservoir: Small to average size and not many. Live minnows or baits not allowed.
    Lake Amador: Ridiculously expensive entrance. Lots of hybrid stock troutís. Some average size crappies.
    Discovery Bay and all the sloughs from Rio Vista to Sacramento: Lots of crappies, some big ones and very scattered but I would not eat them. Just my opinion.
    Lake Berryessa: Lots of big ones, but have to know where to look.
    Folsom Lake: Small crappies, so donít your waste time.
    Lake Natoma (American river): Surprisingly lots of small crappies. Kayak/Canoe only.
    Camp Far West Lake: Eatable size crappies but not thriving.
    Englebright Lake: Lots of decent size crappies.
    Collins Lake: donít waste time. I used to catch a ton of them. Crappies are not thriving. Famous for ice cream troutís if you know what I mean.
    Lake Oroville: Lots of big crappies, but have to know where to find them.
    East Park Reservoir: Lots of big crappies and thriving due to good cover and lots of threadfin shad to feed on.
    Stony Gorge Reservoir: Large crappies but not abundant. Weird when East Park actually flows into this lake. Also has shad.
    Black Butte Reservoir: Big crappies but not abundant anymore. Again, very weird as Stony Gorge flows into this lake with no shad at all! Crappies here feed on ghost minnows. Lots and lots of ghost minnows. Water is very dingy here.
    Indian Valley Reservoir: Decent size crappies depending on the past rainfall otherwise, donít waste your time. Road access is horrible.
    Clear Lake: Lots of big crappies. Have to know where to look though and water is choppy.
    Lake Berryesa: Abundant and big crappies.

    That pretty much sums it up. I fish crappies year round and catch them year round. While everyone is out hunting, Iím pulling in big crappies. Let me know your experiences on these lakes and how you catch them.
    I lived in the bay area for many years was in a club North bay. Bass men. Benicia once while bass fishing Berryessa on the west side and north of goat island drought years we were fishing dart heads with smoke grubs my old buddy who has passed on hooked what he though was a big bass had one of the biggest crappie I ever seen,owe. Had two more over 12 inches I loved that lake it's been 16 years since I was there now I'm back in tenn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP