SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HELP! Transducer location

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default HELP! Transducer location

    Hey guys, just mounted a total scan transducer on my boat, have not got to water test it yet, but how does the placement look to yall? will i be able to get good readings?

    Name:  20190221_070600.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  324.6 KBName:  20190221_070603.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  311.0 KBName:  20190221_070549.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  172.5 KBName:  20190221_070542.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  277.4 KBName:  20190221_070538.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  156.1 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would want it a little higher, if you run in waters that have standing timber. Just above the hull bottom is fine. Those things aren't cheap, would not want to break it off.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thanks for the input! luckily there are no holes in the boat, only the jackplate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Benton
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
    I would want it a little higher, if you run in waters that have standing timber. Just above the hull bottom is fine. Those things aren't cheap, would not want to break it off.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

    That boat looks like a duck hunting boat. I used a "portable transducer bracket" for the transducer on my duck boat, it gives me the ability to raise and lower the transducer easily, or simply take it off completely if I'm going to be getting into the really thick stuff.

    Just go to the Cabela's website and google "portable transducer bracket" and you'll find it. I've got the standard one, it's all aluminum, and costs $42.99

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thanks for the idea, i will defiantly look into these, do you think that where it is on the boat will be suitable? other than it being a little low?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Benton
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    thanks for the idea, i will defiantly look into these, do you think that where it is on the boat will be suitable? other than it being a little low?
    I don't think the being a little low would be an issue, but I do wonder how close your motor's lower unit will get to it with it being such a long transducer. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.

    I like your pods. Almost looks like a transducer mounting plate on the starboard one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    thanks for the idea, i will defiantly look into these, do you think that where it is on the boat will be suitable? other than it being a little low?
    Unfortunately it usually boils down to trial and error, since every hull is different.

    Best to rig up a way that allows you to move it without drilling new holes in the boat every time, whether that be with an over-transom device, or a chunk of plastic bolted to the transom that you can attach the transducer to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I don't think the being a little low would be an issue, but I do wonder how close your motor's lower unit will get to it with it being such a long transducer. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.

    I like your pods. Almost looks like a transducer mounting plate on the starboard one.
    thanks for the input, the motor is on a 10" jackplate and clears the transducer by quite a bit. Thanks i mounted the pods myself and it made a world of difference, especially duck hunting. I did have a DSI transducer mounted there, it worked good but i broke it off a couple of times and did not get good readings when on plane. i am hoping that where i have the new one mounted will keep it protected.

    thanks for the help!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP