SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Question: Dock shooting jig head weight

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use 4# test with 1/32 with plastics. Hand ties of the same weight work great and will fall faster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also need advice about rod, I have been practicing with the 6.6, medium power graphite rod and 6.6 medium power carbon fiber rod. Graphite rod is lot easy to work with, so will buy another graphite rod. What power and action graphite rod should I get?

    Thanks.

  3. #13
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    20,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Also need advice about rod, I have been practicing with the 6.6, medium power graphite rod and 6.6 medium power carbon fiber rod. Graphite rod is lot easy to work with, so will buy another graphite rod. What power and action graphite rod should I get?

    Thanks.
    I use a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod ... and especially like it because of the extra fast tip action. I've shot docks with everything from a 5' UL to a 8' FnF rod to a 6' heavy action rod .... settling on the 6'6" ESP after all was said & done. Oddly enough, my dock shooting "mentor" used a med action 6' Bass outfit .... but, that was mainly because he already had them & saw no reason to buy anything "specifically" designed for shooting docks.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Also need advice about rod, I have been practicing with the 6.6, medium power graphite rod and 6.6 medium power carbon fiber rod. Graphite rod is lot easy to work with, so will buy another graphite rod. What power and action graphite rod should I get?

    Thanks.
    I have a few 5.6 ultralight action rods I use. They work great. Longer rods work too, but if you are close to your target the short rod works better I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I use a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod ... and especially like it because of the extra fast tip action. I've shot docks with everything from a 5' UL to a 8' FnF rod to a 6' heavy action rod .... settling on the 6'6" ESP after all was said & done. Oddly enough, my dock shooting "mentor" used a med action 6' Bass outfit .... but, that was mainly because he already had them & saw no reason to buy anything "specifically" designed for shooting docks.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I have a few 5.6 ultralight action rods I use. They work great. Longer rods work too, but if you are close to your target the short rod works better I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Are you guys using graphite or fiberglass rod?

  6. #16
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    20,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Are you guys using graphite or fiberglass rod?
    Graphite ... and in the case of ESP rods it's 40 ton High Modulus IM6 Graphite (blank & handle).

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Graphite ... and in the case of ESP rods it's 40 ton High Modulus IM6 Graphite (blank & handle).
    Thanks.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    11,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i would start with a cheap stiff rod until you master the technique .
    that way when you SNAP it in half you wont cry near as bad .
    just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes John Doe, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Are you guys using graphite or fiberglass rod?
    Fiberglass. I have an H&H and ACC dockshooter


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use a 5.5 BnM Sharpshooter rod when 4lb test. I like a 1/32 jighead with a size 4 or 2 hook. The jig fall rate is crucial when dock shooting and you want it to fall as slow as possible.
    Likes John Doe LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP