PDA

View Full Version : How would you mount a bow-mount troller on this?

SkyChimp
09-10-2005, 05:25 PM
I gotta come up with something to raise a bow-mount trolling motor so it can make it over that gunnel? Some sort of pedestal. Anyone have any ideas?

http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/gunnel1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/gunnel2.jpg

papasage
09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
you might go to a dealer and see how they mount them . they usealey have one on display .

SkyChimp
09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
They use a welded on pedestal. I'm looking for an alternative to that.

rango
09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
They use a welded on pedestal. I'm looking for an alternative to that.
i made one for mine out of two short pieces of 2x8 trimmed to go from the deck to the top of the gunnel, laid a piece of plywood on it and mounted my troller to it. works great. heres a photo of it. pardon the mess, its a fishing boat and not for show :)

Tarpon
09-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Ive got one on my 8 ft jon boat. All it is is an L shaped piece of metal. It is welded onto the bow.

Shellback
09-10-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd go with 2 pieces of aluminum channel and stand them on edge. The width of the channel would be determined by the height you have to raise to clear the gunnel. Maybe something like a 1" x 4" channel would work. Use some self tapping screws to mount it into the deck, and bolts with elastic lock nuts for the top. My local Agway can order steel and aluminum, and that's where I get my material. You could also check with local welding shops.

SkyChimp
09-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

slabbandit
09-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Hey there SkyChimp, All you need is a flat bracket that mounts on the flat part of the front of your boat. It extends back 18 to 24 inches and then turns down and mounts on to the floor of the deck. Then the trolling motor of your choice could be mounted on top of this bracket. The brackets are usually 5 to 6 inches wide.

I have seen both store bought and homemade designs. I would mount the bracket so that the trolling motor, when down in the running position, would be right in the center of the bow. I would also mount the bracket angled to the right side as it comes back on the deck. This way when the trolling motor is up in the stowed position, it will lay along the right side contour of the bow. This will keep the trolling motor out of the way and it won't take up much space on the deck.

Hope this helps! :)

SkyChimp
09-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Any idea where you saw the pre-made one? I've been looking on the net but can't find one.

One thought is had was to build a second deck out of 1/2 (or 3/4) plywood that simply lays across the front of the boat on top of the gunnel - trimmed, of course, to match the front contour. I could carpet it and it would be a handy deck for the motor and a fish finder. Something like this:

http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/gunnel1_mod.jpg

slabbandit
09-10-2005, 07:04 PM
No Sky Chimp, I've just seen them already mounted on boats. I believe you could get one made at any sheet metal shop but I would check with some of your local boat dealers first.

They are probably built to fit just about any make of aluminum rig.

slabbandit
09-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Forgot to mention that I really liked your idea. If you don't find a bracket that works I think you should go ahead and build the deck that you've described.

Good Luck!

Shellback
09-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Hey Skychimp, that's a good idea with the second deck! Probably have some room under it to get an anchor and lines under it too.

Boatman
09-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Here is how my transom mount is mounted on front of my boat. I know this is not what your looking for, but I thought I'd throw it in. I built the mount out of Aluminum, its removeable and the base can pivot 90* both ways by lossening one screw. Very sturdy also.

Eager Beaver
09-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Any idea where you saw the pre-made one? I've been looking on the net but can't find one.

One thought is had was to build a second deck out of 1/2 (or 3/4) plywood that simply lays across the front of the boat on top of the gunnel - trimmed, of course, to match the front contour. I could carpet it and it would be a handy deck for the motor and a fish finder. Something like this:

http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/gunnel1_mod.jpg

That will work but just use a marine plywood. You could use a 5/8 plywood, just be sure you support it under where the motor mounts and where you mount the depth finder. Dress it up with some carpet and it will do nicely. You can get a little creative and block the front leaving a small opening and using underneath for extra storage.

Eager Beaver
09-11-2005, 07:42 AM
I would put carpet on the front deck before you add the second deck for the trolling motor to help with sound transfer. Just a suggestion.

mikeg
09-11-2005, 07:44 AM

Make you a little box like the one above, you can have the bottom edges flared out saye 1 or 2 inches where you can bolt it to deck are weld it, you can make it flush with the side of your boat or let it go below an 1" or two. Make it out of aliunum Looks like you have a nice boat dont jerry rig it.

mikeg

Boatman
09-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Is that Roughneck brand boat??

mikeg
09-11-2005, 11:45 AM
You can get you a piece of aluminum use a metal break and make you a three sided box, make high enough for it to come to the top of your boat and where it is going to be mounted on your boat turn out about 2" on both sides on the bottom, where you can bolt it to boat. Mount your trolling motor on top of it.Just get some good measurments and it will work fine. Looks like you have a nice boat so you want to keep it that way.

trolling motor will mount on top of this box

SkyChimp
09-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Is that Roughneck brand boat??

It's a Tracker.

---

I have another idea now that I've thought about it some more.

I could take a piece of 15/32 plywood and put a layer on top of the deck. I'd have to remount the seat pedestal on top of the plywood. Of course, I would carpet it it first. The 6 screws holding the seat pedestal would help secure it. (Red outline).

Or I could just place a piece on the front half of the deck. (Green outline.)

Either way, I could build a box and secure it directly to the plywood floor. (Blue outline.) I'd mount the motor base on that.

http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/gunnel1-mod2.jpg

I actually like this idea better than my first idea of making another deck on top of the gunnel. I want to minimize the amount of drilling I have to do on the boat itself. This way, everything would mount to the plywood floor

410MAN
09-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Skychimp, It looks like you have the same problem I have, people drive buy and throw empty beer cans in my boat

J White
09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Skychimp, It looks like you have the same problem I have, people drive buy and throw empty beer cans in my boat
I think that was Rango's with the cans in it - looks like mine with a few
more leaves. I've got two trips worth of Mountain Dew cans to clean out
before next time. It's about time for my once-a-year boat wash too -
the bathtub ring is getting pretty severe :) Just another reason I don't
need/deserve a "pretty" boat! I don't like bare aluminum floors, but I'm
gonna do SOMETHING different besides carpet next time - my daughter has
spilled so many drinks in it, it's getting pretty sticky. Have any of you got
the spray-in bedliner type stuff? I've seen it advertised in some of the
SeaArks. Either that or the vinyl flooring like in a WarEagle.

rango
09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
the red with the blue is about like i have mine set up. the pic i posted is the only one with the litter and cans in it. the litter is from some brush we sunk. the cans, well that about par for the course on the beast. at any given time you could probably find enought aluminum to reskin a 747

stray
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I think that was Rango's with the cans in it - looks like mine with a few
more leaves. I've got two trips worth of Mountain Dew cans to clean out
before next time. It's about time for my once-a-year boat wash too -
the bathtub ring is getting pretty severe :) Just another reason I don't
need/deserve a "pretty" boat! I don't like bare aluminum floors, but I'm
gonna do SOMETHING different besides carpet next time - my daughter has
spilled so many drinks in it, it's getting pretty sticky. Have any of you got
the spray-in bedliner type stuff? I've seen it advertised in some of the
SeaArks. Either that or the vinyl flooring like in a WarEagle.

I havenít tried it myself, but a co-worker did when a salesman came to the shop selling Rhino bed liners. He has an old small john boat that had started to leak, when the salesman said it was water proof, he asked about doing a boat. When it was done the co-worker said it was the best idea he had ever thought of. It sealed the leaks, was nonskid, and indestructible. Now I donít know how bad the leaks were or exactly how they applied it to the boat (I do know that they sprayed the inside of it), all I know is he was very satisfied with it.

Eager Beaver
09-12-2005, 07:51 PM
SkyChimp
I still like your first Idea better. It would be easier to add different things on the deck if you needed to, like your depth finder, your running lights, if you are going to be out after dark, or and anchoring system. If you were to set up for spider fishing It would give you a place to mount the holders. Just my thought. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

crome
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
war eagle sells the trolling motor bases fab out of alum.