Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you mount a bow-mount troller on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you mount a bow-mount troller on this?

I gotta come up with something to raise a bow-mount trolling motor so it can make it over that gunnel? Some sort of pedestal. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
    Rowland

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you might go to a dealer and see how they mount them . they usealey have one on display .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

They use a welded on pedestal. I'm looking for an alternative to that.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkyChimp
    They use a welded on pedestal. I'm looking for an alternative to that.
    i made one for mine out of two short pieces of 2x8 trimmed to go from the deck to the top of the gunnel, laid a piece of plywood on it and mounted my troller to it. works great. heres a photo of it. pardon the mess, its a fishing boat and not for show
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rango; 09-10-2005 at 06:19 PM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got one on my 8 ft jon boat. All it is is an L shaped piece of metal. It is welded onto the bow.
    What's worse, to be in church wishing you were fishin' or to be fishin' and know you should be in church?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with 2 pieces of aluminum channel and stand them on edge. The width of the channel would be determined by the height you have to raise to clear the gunnel. Maybe something like a 1" x 4" channel would work. Use some self tapping screws to mount it into the deck, and bolts with elastic lock nuts for the top. My local Agway can order steel and aluminum, and that's where I get my material. You could also check with local welding shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there SkyChimp, All you need is a flat bracket that mounts on the flat part of the front of your boat. It extends back 18 to 24 inches and then turns down and mounts on to the floor of the deck. Then the trolling motor of your choice could be mounted on top of this bracket. The brackets are usually 5 to 6 inches wide.

I have seen both store bought and homemade designs. I would mount the bracket so that the trolling motor, when down in the running position, would be right in the center of the bow. I would also mount the bracket angled to the right side as it comes back on the deck. This way when the trolling motor is up in the stowed position, it will lay along the right side contour of the bow. This will keep the trolling motor out of the way and it won't take up much space on the deck.

Hope this helps!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea where you saw the pre-made one? I've been looking on the net but can't find one.

One thought is had was to build a second deck out of 1/2 (or 3/4) plywood that simply lays across the front of the boat on top of the gunnel - trimmed, of course, to match the front contour. I could carpet it and it would be a handy deck for the motor and a fish finder. Something like this:

Last edited by SkyChimp; 09-10-2005 at 06:51 PM.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

No Sky Chimp, I've just seen them already mounted on boats. I believe you could get one made at any sheet metal shop but I would check with some of your local boat dealers first.

They are probably built to fit just about any make of aluminum rig.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast