Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flexible snake weights

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flexible snake weights

Thought I would start a new thread to answer some questions asked by Bottomline about the rig I use...so that I wouldn't be highjacking the thread originally started about the capps and coleman rigs...

I found a flexible fishing weight sold by Cabelas....ordered some..and like I always do...I tore 'em apart to see how they were made.....lead shotgun pellets inside parachute cord with half a swivel crimped onto each end....from Cabelas they are 3 for $3.97...I figured I could make 'em cheaper than that...

I took a regular crane swivel, cut off one end, and punched the hole out larger using a nail punch...tedious but it can be done....

Then i feed the paracord into the swivel hole and crimp the swivel using a 4 prong electrical crimping tool.....the weights from Cabelas are crimped using a single prong crimping tool...I just happen to have a 4 prong crimper...

Then I feed the shotgun pellets into the paracord and crimp another crane swivel on the other end.....

I'm using 15lb Berkeley Big Game in florescent green as main line and leader.....I 'very' seldom break off and I actually think the florescent green attracts the fish somewhat....

Thanks for asking bottomline....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask what is the benefit of using something like that and how do you fish it? I am always interested in new things too.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    May I ask what is the benefit of using something like that and how do you fish it? I am always interested in new things too.

Skip
    I mostly spider rig and find that I can fish closer to the brush with fewer hangups because there is nothing in my rig to get hung except for the hook...

I have found that other type weights will get hung in the fork of brush limbs....whereas this flexible weight snakes right thru...

I also like my hook on the bottom because I feel the fish will see my bait before they see any terminal tackle attached...IMO
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post

Skip
    Skip.

Up here in Central New York, we've been using those style weights for 25 years but mostly for steelhead fishing and some walleye use.
    We call them "Slinky Sinkers" up here.
    As far as rigging, we use them a little differently than what was posted above.
    Main line gets tied to a 3 way swivel. A length of your favorite leader material whether flourocarbon, mono or braid gets tied to the other end of the 3 way swivel.
    On the bottom loop of the 3 way, we tie a short dropper line of about 3 to 6 inches and connect the Slinky to that using a snap swivel. Make sure the dropper line is about 1/2 of the test of your main line/leader
    This allows us to drift a bait over rocks/snags with few hang ups as the Slinky glides over the rocks instead of getting wedged between them like lead sinkers or split shot. If by chance you do get hung up, the lighter dropper line will break but your rig will be saved.
    I use this rig while trolling the rivers for crappies in the summer months. Works great !

Making the Slinky Sinkers is very easy. Tools needed are a candle, a small nail, a pair of pliers with smooth jaws, a pair of good scissors and a small funnel that will fit inside the parachute cord that you're using and a scale to figure out how many BB's weigh out the weights you want to make. Once the number count/weight is figured out, make a note and put the scale back on the shelf.

For example, we'll start with a 1 oz Slinky using 00 buck shot. It takes 15 BB's of 00 shot for an ounce.
    First, cut about a 4 inch length of parachute cord. heat one end over the candle until it starts to melt a little. While it's hot, squeeze the end with the smooth jaw needle nose pliers. It should leave you with about 1/8th inch flat hardened end. Now, put the funnel in the other end of the cord and drop in the shot. Sometimes a small piece of coat hanger or welding rod comes in handy to ram the shot into the cord. Once the cord is full, heat the end you just put the shot into and then squeeze that end to seal it off.
    From there, heat the small nail over the candle and punch one hole through the flat melted ends of the Slinky. That's where you add a snap swivel that your dropper line will tie onto.
    Once you get all the weights and lengths figured out, you can cut hundreds of lengths of cord in advanced and count out the shot and put them in an ice cube tray or a similar box with compartments.
    I used to make them while watching TV ! Just put a TV tray across your lap with all the tools and candle and proceed to stuff the cords while enjoying your favorite shows on the tube !

I'll take some pictures of the Slinkys that I make and post them tomorrow.
    They're very effective and they save your rigs when used in any style of fishing ! Oh yeah......they cast like a bullet !

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take some pictures of the Slinkys that I make and post them tomorrow.
    They're very effective and they save your rigs when used in any style of fishing ! Oh yeah......they cast like a bullet ![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Saddle Tramp; 06-10-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

The 'funnel' I use to get the lead shot into the paracord is a doctors ear canal light inspection disposible funnel attachment....wow...what a mouthfull....

You'll see them in your doctors office hanging on the wall in a clear plastic dispensor..... the doc will attach one of these disposible black funnels to his pocket light that he sticks into your ear.....

The only diff in my weight and Saddle Tramp's is the swivels I crimp onto each end of the weight....Saddle Tramp's method would definitely be much quicker as I have to prepare the crane swivel to accept the pararcord and crimp them on.....but, I make them in my spare time at work so I kinda get 'paid' to make em......
    Last edited by rnvinc; 06-12-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    ------------—————