Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Went fishing today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Went fishing today

Finally got a chance to finally go fishing in my boat. Had the thing for like 3 months and been buisy working on the motor and my old truck. Went to a small lake close to town. Not allot better than the lake in the morning. One huge sheet of glass while the suns comin up.

Backed the boat down the ramp, launched, and tied it up on the dock (1 shot attempts dont happen with me, im a boat backin newb, but perfect today).

Clutch dog is shot in my old johnson (1959 10hp) but, when it wants to run, i can get around good enough.

A new dam was built a few years back and the water level was raised here so, there are old and new trees in the water everywhere. It really looks nice fishing wise.

Once again, I threw about everything I had in my tackle box, but everything is dead. Coverd allot of the lake. Was a really good time though.

Heres where the fun starts.

I call it a day after about 5-6 hours or so. Back the trailor in the water (not so perfect this time) and finally get the boat kinda on the trailor (no side guides 15' vbottom john pain to get on the trailer) Put truck into 1 (low) and it dies. Start it back up, down to 1, dead....

Dies as soon as you try to give it gas. This is going to be really really bad.

Died another 4 times or so,, and im running out of ramp quickly. Back tires are in the water.

Desperation time. Foot on brake, shift to neutral. Rev'er up, bomb into drive. I cannot explain to you the feeling I had when the tires finally hooked up in th water.

:D

Any other ideas on what to do in this situation ?

Post Thanks / Like

Pray!!!
    I was putting my boat in yesterday when a guy pulled up and started backing down the ramp at a rather brisk pace. He had an older Ford truck with the big grabber tires on it, with an old what I called a speed boat. Fiber glass an very heavy. He was all over the ramp and I got rather concerned when he started getting close to my truck. He finally slams on the brakes and then straightens it out and backs the boat in the water, and then slams on the brakes again. I felt sorry for the girl that was holding on to the rope,because it just about pulled her into the lake, when he launched the boat off of the trailer. Now he throws it in forward and tries to burn out pulling out of the water. He can't move with just the trailer. He had to stop and they had to engage the wheel hub locks in so he could pull an empty trailer out of the water. I would have liked to have see him try to get the boat out of the water if he couldn't get the trailer out without the assit of 4 wheel drive.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have seen the shift dog recut where it goes into the gears . and work fine .some times the ajustment gits off and not putting the shift dog all the way in . some shift into gear easy you should go in gear with a snap . as far as the truck it may just be cold natured if manul choke you might have to choke it a little . the automatick choke might need a little ajustment
    Last edited by papasage; 09-10-2005 at 04:24 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

some don`t realize that when you break traction all you will git is spinning tires .i have a dodge vann i use and it will pull my boat out with the weight it will hold better than a pickup . when it starts spinning just stop and ease the power to wheels and it will pull .
    retired and now i will always fish

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

The clutch dog can be recut with a high speed drill and a sharp bit. I don't know how exactly but a mechanic from one of the other boards I frequent has the gearcase that goes on my '67 18hp E'rude, and is doing just that for me. I was hoping I could watch him do it so I would know how for future reference but he was busy working on big money work, so I left it with him.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.