Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is as close as I got to a four pound crappie

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is as close as I got to a four pound crappie

June 8, 2009

It was about 94 degrees outside yesterday when my wife and I decided to go for a drive to scout new fishing areas. We ended up at Weiss Lake Lodge and Weiss Lake Marina in Centre Alabama. The lodge opened up in February 2009 and is a place we will visit often.

Take a good look at these two four pound crappies caught at Weiss Lake. Needless to say that got our attention real fast.

After we spent the night we got up to do a little bank fishing. Caught no crappies over the 10 inch limit. They were all dinks we caught. We were told the bigger crappies were deep and we needed a boat. The best times for bank fishing were February and March or September and October. We will be back. Those slabs have a date with Danger!

Last edited by shipahoy41; 06-10-2009 at 07:34 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is a Crappie. I have the same problem. I need a boat. Since the spawn I'm having problems catching keeper crappie. I have caught a few but mostly dinks. I can find deep water from the bank but no structure. I catch a few in the morning feeding close to the bank but one here and there. All the bigger crappie I catch are black crappie and on some structure in about 6ft of water. Never catch over 2 or 3 and then have to move on.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Man [O] Man what a pair of crappie---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

In the top photo...do I see one of your jigs in its mouth. :D Yup.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Heck buddy up here in Vermont If I ever got a 2.5 I'd probably get it mounted but for you folks down south those are normal sized fish.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

hey ship I think you're lucky to have a wife like you got!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait View Post
    hey ship I think you're lucky to have a wife like you got!!!
    We have been blessed to have been married 40 years. She does not fish and will not get in a boat but she does not want this 64 year old man fishing alone. She will go out and spend about an hour or two hours on the fishing bank but that is about her limit. After that it is shopping or going out to eat etc. Once a month I take her somewhere on a one tank trip. (Every other month there are fish nearby!):D:D:D

Fatman 2 lb fish are very common at Weiss and Guntersville. Up in Ohio we were elated if we caught an 8 inch crappie. Now do you see why I moved? No snow, huge crappies = no brainer.

Arkie John, like the terminator, "I'll be back" in September when I can reach them from the bank of the Weiss Mart Marina. There will be some Danger in the mouth of those crappies. When I went up on March 27th and was at the alabama Belle motel we had to dodge tornadoes for two days. Monday we were sweltering in 94 degree heat.

Costal bend, being on the water catching dinks is better than staying home and mowing the lawn. I promise you.:D:D:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmm

Those are some nice fish.
    I just pulled up a map and that's only a one hour drive from Cartersville.
    Hmmm..
    We may bump into each other in September
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Fla_Inshore View Post
    Those are some nice fish.
    I just pulled up a map and that's only a one hour drive from Cartersville.
    Hmmm..
    We may bump into each other in September
    -Sean

Cartersville?????????????// hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I have relatives there.:D:D:D:D:D It is about a 2 hour drive from where I live, but it is worth it just to have the chance to catch the fish of my lifetime.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ship. You would do well to talk with Terry Whaley on the Alabama forum. He is a local guide that lives just down the street from Weiss Mart Marina. He did a great job for my brother and I last March, and we dodged bad weather too. Even if you don't hire him he is a wealth of info and is quick to help you find fish. Having lived there since before the lake was formed he has the "home court advantage". I don't think you could go wrong. Good luck and tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast