Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Melvern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Melvern

Fri 5 June fished mud flats for walleys caught 6, 3 keepers largest was 23" also caught half dozen crappie 3 legals largest 13" crappie were along the drop off at the state park boat ramp cove about 8-12 ft. Didn't really focus on crappie but caught them on jigs with minnows/worms. Wasn't bad for a 4 hr trip.

Mon 8 June Put in at Turkey fished 7 hrs. Tried for eyes for the first 3 hrs around the Turkey creek area, trolled and drifted, couldn't give a worm or minnow away. Switched to crappie fishing around the old rock house. caught 8-10 fish only 2 were legal one 11''. Slow troll using red/chartruse most fish seemed to be 8-12 ft deep, probably should have focused on structure and brush. There will be better days.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report DanH.:D:D. When you are after the crappies, try the standing timber too. I also catch them on flats pulling crankbaits with a bonus walleye or two. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

HA chat I was at pomona june 5 &6 the crappie were on the face of the dam.
    caught 38 keepers all over 10'' on the 5th and we had 35 on the 6th. If you get back up there u should give it a try.
    Late Joe

Post Thanks / Like

DanH, have you ever tried drifting the 3" GULP minnow grubs? I have used them side-by-side against crawlers and minnows, and GULP won every time. I haven't drifted a worm for two or three years... Whenever I drift for eyes, I use a jig and 3" GULP minnow grub. If you can find them, they make a 4" also, and it is equally deadly.

It's just an idea. Beats the heck out of hot, gooey, crawler smell. I still occasionally fish with guys that bring crawlers to tip their jigs, the GULP bite is equivalent or better. And NO, I'm not sponsored by Berkley(I wish:D).
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hey thanks, I'll have to check that out. Had another friend tell me he swears by Macks smiley blades with a crawler and slow troll about 1/4 to 1/2 mph. He dosen't focus on the mud flats as he dosen't like to fish where its crowded. The other day everyone else was out on the humps by Eisenhower and I caught the largest walleye in at 4-6 ft. closer to shore on jig and minnow.