Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: illustration of deep water rig

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default illustration of deep water rig

This is my illustration of a deep water rig I love to use. You can substitute jigs or hooks on the loop knots. Many times I put Danger! Danger on the bottom loop and a jig or a hook and minnow on the top loop. I can now fish differing water depths with different color combinations until the fish tell me what they prefer that day. Hope the drawing helped somebody.

Last edited by shipahoy41; 06-07-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice illustration, thanks any special length U make them loop knots from main line?
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    Nice illustration, thanks any special length U make them loop knots from main line?
    1/2 to 3/4 inch works for me. Thanks.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's how my long poles are rigged for spider rigging.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing...except I don't use the swivel at the sinker...but its a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I use same setup vertical fishing from boat for crappie, when crappie are deep in winter time. Shore fishing for catfish and trout I use the same setup with nightcrawers as bait. Have used this same set up fore fifty years. Shiahoy41 knows what he is doing. Congratulations for letting the others out there know about this great seup. I use a bell sinker with a snap swivel or just tie it on my main line.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok shipahoy, got some questions...
    First off, the only time i have ever used this type of rig(we'll call it a KY rig from here on out) was for catfish, and i was never fond of it at all, so i never really used it much.
    Now that i have been trying new things(mighty hard for a hillbilly), i just got the hang of the capps and coleman trolling rig, im ready to try this set-up out. so here are my questions...
    1 if your fishing this on the bottom, do you use different weights for different depths, in other words, deep water heavier sinker?
    2 for an all around depth(say 10-15 feet deep) what size weight would you recomend?
    3 i dont typically fish on or close to the bottom, normally several feet up, is there anyway to make this rig workable to keep the baits higher in the water colum?
    4 is it possible, or should i say recomendable, to fish this rig "in space"(not on the bottom) for suspended fish? it would obviously swing directly under the boat in this fashion.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Question one other question

Mr. Ship I would like to hear the answers to hillbilly's question as well plus this one, do we have instructions on the double loop knot anywhere. I will check in archives!
    PAC
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

its a good rig, try it out, and you'll answer your own questions.
    I like it for night stalkin,
    for question 1 yes for deep water go with 3/4 to an ounce. but it also depends on your rods. 3/8 to 1/2 for shallower water. stay heavy for drifting and on windy days.
    question 2, 3/4oz works for me, and I use lite rods.
    question 3 yes reel it in some lol sorry or use a single hook c-rig setup.
    question 4, yes its deadly at night. but also works in daylight,
    for that rig, Ive had my best results, dropping it strait down, find the bottom. then 2 turns on the reel.
    and then crack a cold one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly910 View Post
    Ok shipahoy, got some questions...
    First off, the only time i have ever used this type of rig(we'll call it a KY rig from here on out) was for catfish, and i was never fond of it at all, so i never really used it much.
    Now that i have been trying new things(mighty hard for a hillbilly), i just got the hang of the capps and coleman trolling rig, im ready to try this set-up out. so here are my questions...
    1 if your fishing this on the bottom, do you use different weights for different depths, in other words, deep water heavier sinker?
    2 for an all around depth(say 10-15 feet deep) what size weight would you recomend?
    3 i dont typically fish on or close to the bottom, normally several feet up, is there anyway to make this rig workable to keep the baits higher in the water colum?
    4 is it possible, or should i say recomendable, to fish this rig "in space"(not on the bottom) for suspended fish? it would obviously swing directly under the boat in this fashion.

HB

Well if this was for channel cats in a river....then the sinker would be a 1 ounce "Flat" no roll sinker and the hooks would be 2/0 or something.

For perch, and sometimes crappies, I would be using a 1/2 ounce sinker with #6 and #4hook and minnow combinations

For most on my crappie deep water I find that a 1/2 ounce egg sinker worked well enough for me. Sometimes it is a hook on top and a jig on the bottom loop. Sometimes it is a tube jig on top and a hair jig on the bottom. Sometimes I'll put a tube on the top and Danger! Danger! on the bottom loop.

This setup has such versatility....long line trolling, tight lining,,, differing depths, color, lures etc. I'll fish this setup in water 6 feet deep through 30 feet deep. It is a way of keeping bait 2 and also 3 feet off the bottom no matter how deep you are fishing. You can also hang it over the side of your boat, wait till it touches bottom, reel it up four cranks and put it in the rod holder.

Now suppose you are fishing a slip bobber setup in 10 feet of water, and you have your stop knot set so you are fishing 7 feet down. Technically your offering and the offering(s) on this setup are fishing the same water.:D:D:D

To have your baits "Higher" in the water column just tie your loop knots higher say........4 feet from the sinker for your first one and 6 feet from the sinker for your second one.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 06-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast