Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: killin catfish tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default killin catfish tips

anyone got a good fast way to kill cats, I hate cutten em up alive, man are they tough hombres. I read someone uses a spray bottle with vodka, spay the gills a bit, and out they go, wow, if that works, I'm sold lol

I fed some to the kids the other day. and now they want more.

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

I take my cleaning knife and crack them over the head with the back of the blade. On fish 5lbs or bigger I use a solid hit with a hammer.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

hit them right at the back of the head with a big hammer, it breaks their spine and makes cleaning thm easier:o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albiechaser View Post
    I read someone uses a spray bottle with vodka, spay the gills a bit, and out they go, wow, if that works, I'm sold lol

I fed some to the kids the other day. and now they want more.

I would not give my kids vodka !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my Grandfather used to make a small cut at the base of the head and then would run a broom straw down their spine and they didn't move at all. Worked real well and only took him a few seconds to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a better way I learned for a guy that catches catfish for his living and he catches a lot of cats.

He brings them in alive in a big huge plastic tub in his boat. Then moves them to another tub nect to his cleaning station. He then has a electric wire with a big washer on one leg and a nut on the other, but I don't guess it matters much. He plugs that wire in making sure to to let the two end get together (one is a good bit longer than the other). Then he drops that in the tub of water and catfish and after just a few seconds you have fresh killed catfish to clean.

Oh and I have used this method too and works like a charm.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

If them cats came out of a muddy river, I would let them swim in that tub of clean water for a day or so, water will get dirty but cats will get cleaner and taste much sweeter/milder meat. Similar to what lots folks do with their live crayfish soak them in clean made saltwater overnite(while alive) much better tasting crawdaddy. Nothing better tasting than a catfish caught thru ice on a frozen north lake, water under ice is clear, all dirt has settled out as lake water is one big still bowl of water under ice, & no run off from shore.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    hit them right at the back of the head with a big hammer, it breaks their spine and makes cleaning thm easier:o

+1 that's what I do. On anything over 10 lds I hang them and bleed them out. I take my knife and make a cut by the tail

Post Thanks / Like

At the back of the head there are 2 soft spots. 1/8th to 1/4 diam. When you find those on the fish you can stick a wire in one side and wiggle it. Kills em quick. Wire, ice pick, or small screwdriver all work, With a hammer or hatchet hit the same area and it takes them out. I was shown this trick by a commercial fisherman.

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Got a better way I learned for a guy that catches catfish for his living and he catches a lot of cats.

He brings them in alive in a big huge plastic tub in his boat. Then moves them to another tub nect to his cleaning station. He then has a electric wire with a big washer on one leg and a nut on the other, but I don't guess it matters much. He plugs that wire in making sure to to let the two end get together (one is a good bit longer than the other). Then he drops that in the tub of water and catfish and after just a few seconds you have fresh killed catfish to clean.

Oh and I have used this method too and works like a charm.

Skip

That sounds very dangerous. Are you saying you are putting 115v to the tub, or is it a lower voltage?

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast