Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help making jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help making jigs

I am interested in making my own jigs. I don't know much about the process, but I know that it there are some initial cost. I need molds, hooks, paint, thread, hair, vise .......

Where is a good place to purchase these items. I am open to books for starters too. Any tips, suggestions, or off the wall comments are welcome.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville last month. They had the Molds and hooks.
    I imagine that had the other items as well .
    Try There.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shop and or Cabela's!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

You need to check out some of Labills post on the subject. He was kind enough to send me a few of the jigs he has made and they look great. I think I remember seeing his jig tying setup somewhere on the board if you need a visual.

Post Thanks / Like

to tie your own jigs you can either buy the jig heads through cabelas, or you can pour your own. if you are just going to be doing a few and don't know if you want to tie very many jigs i would recommend just buying the heads, if you do want a mold i recomend buying them through http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...=1450&CATID=59 i own the first mold listed that has one cavity of every size, i buy all of my hooks from barlows as well they have the best prices i have found. If you do pour your own jigs, let me recomend using powder paint, i tried many other types of paints and nothing compares to the ease, consistancy, and efficiancy of powder paint.
    As far as purchasing the vise, thread, and feathers/ bucktail Bass pro sells a jig tying kit which is what i first bought when i started tying. It has more than what you need however it is a good price and through it you can see what you like to use, it also comes with a video that was very helpfull in learning how to tie the jig.
    i hope this was some help, i haven't been tying for as long as many others on this board but i have been tying alot, feel free to ask any other questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

I am going to make jigs for my personal use and I don't plan on selling them. I think I would like to pour my own jig heads. Even if I end up not tying jigs, I could still use the jig heads. I will look into barlowstackle, I was on their site yestarday and all the links had errors.

Thanks again!
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    If you do pour your own jigs, let me recomend using powder paint, i tried many other types of paints and nothing compares to the ease, consistancy, and efficiancy of powder paint.
    Except for using on plastic weedguard style. The heat that you have to apply, will distort the plastic making it look like a flower blooming. I have try many ways to get this way to work, and have yet to find a way. I even tried they way that is on there directions and still no good. But if you use regular head the powder is the way to go.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Most any feathers you want ... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20431

Thread?... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20431

Tools? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20431

Lessons and the like? Click on "basic fly tying"... http://www.f-deans.freeserve.co.uk/

More... http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Make sure you get the right kind of tools like Whip Finishers!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Hope the links help.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I used powder paint for the first time yesterday. I poured a 100 1/32 oz jigs, and painted them all. The side of the paint container says to heat in oven at 350 degrees. Then dip the jighead into the powder, shake off excess and bake for 15 minutes for extra gloss look. This did not work as the jig would cool too fast to accept the powder. I ended up lighting a candle, heated the jighead for about 3 secs, dipped it, then BEAT off the excess. I then hung it on a wire I had strung between the edges of an old retangular baking pan. After I had done this to several jigs, I stuck it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. They were dry, glossy, and some had big drips that needed trimmed. I am now looking at building a small booth to powdercoat electrostatically. That is what professional powdercoaters do, and it is almost perfect every time.

One of the cheapest ways to start tying your own, just to see if you like it. Buy a decent vise, thread bobbin, flyhead cement, and your choice of maribu or bucktail. Chenielle for the body and your set. You can start with prepoured jig heads. You can find them for about $3 more than buying just 100 hooks. So, you have 100 already poured jig heads for around $10.00. Saves time. I do this on bigger sizes that I use on occassion vs. buying a $35 mold. One hundred jigs will last a long time, allowing you to lose several before you have to restock.

The Bass Pro kits are a good starting point.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    I used powder paint for the first time yesterday. I poured a 100 1/32 oz jigs, and painted them all. The side of the paint container says to heat in oven at 350 degrees. Then dip the jighead into the powder, shake off excess and bake for 15 minutes for extra gloss look. This did not work as the jig would cool too fast to accept the powder. I ended up lighting a candle, heated the jighead for about 3 secs, dipped it, then BEAT off the excess. I then hung it on a wire I had strung between the edges of an old retangular baking pan. After I had done this to several jigs, I stuck it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. They were dry, glossy, and some had big drips that needed trimmed. I am now looking at building a small booth to powdercoat electrostatically. That is what professional powdercoaters do, and it is almost perfect every time.

I hope you cleaned the eyes out before you baked them, I bent one eye buster trying to clean eyes out. That stuff bakes on rock hard.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast