Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flat heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flat heads

What is the best bait for Flatheads?I know that they only eat live bait but what is the best for them?I am thinking about using bream or shad.I am kinda new at this catfishing thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bream are the best or cut up shad/any type of cut up fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Use live shad ,flatheads are a predator fish,bigger the bait the bigger the fish,,

Post Thanks / Like

The bigger the bait the bigger the fish... You need to know the size class of fish that swim in the waters you fish and adjust the size of your bait accordingly. The bigger the bait you use will mean that you will more than likely catch less fish as far as numbers go but the ones that you do catch will be the ones that you can brag about...:D:D Whatever bait you use needs to be live and frisky on the hook... Bream are an excellenct choice because they are tough and will stay alive on the hook. Shad are really good bait because they are usually a primary food source for the cats but they tend to die much faster on the hook. I have also used large goldfish as well as jumbo minnows with some success but I have found that if you use bait fish that are naturally in the body of water that you are fishin' you will have much better luck. As far as cut bait goes... for flatheads it needs to be as fresh as possible IMO. With cutbait (large cut up shad) I tend to catch more blue cats than flatheads but that doesn't mean that the faltheads won't bite it... Good luck to ya and I hope you catch some big ones!!!:D:D
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to give it a shot tommorow night with shad and bream.I would love to hook up with a big one but I don't really have the tackle for it yet.I will be using my old all star classics with ambassadors with 15# big game but when I get back from vacation I am going to be investing in some bigger rods and reels.I am going to try and find some reasonable priced salwater rods while I am at the beach next week.

Post Thanks / Like

What size ambassadors do you have??? I like the 6000, 6500, 7000, and the 9000. If you want some good catfish rods at a low price... check these out...CatfishConnection Click search and type in item number PHNS7... they are American Spirit 7' MH Nite Sticks... They have a sturdy butt to give you leverage and a fairly soft tip...
    I really like these rods... Here's a pic to prove it

Blake

Post Thanks / Like

BC,that is one fine looking setup you have there!
    The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... A buddy and I designed it for catfishing in the James river here in VA... but it works good in any body of water... It also works great for long line trolling for crappie:D:D:D
    Blake