Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question for the experts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default question for the experts?

i have fished a somewhat private lake near Pleasant Hill, MO for years now. It seems like all the fish are 5-6 inches long, and there are tons of them. had more than one day where we caught 300-400 and only one or two had any size. no foolin

this lake has no size limit and they encourage all anglers to keep their limit of 30 per person.

is there just too many fishes, or is this just small fish genes?

when bass fishing, i have hooked into some hogs there, easily over a pound on a crank bait but ripped their lips off tryn to set the hook on a heavy rod but could see the fish right beside the boat.

so i know there are big en's in there, but only smalls get caught when crappie fishing.

anyone have any insight???
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

overpopulation is what i have been told kellog lake in carthage is the same way kids have a good time though

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep your 30 every time you go. Even if you do not clean them. I have fished some lakes like that around here. Lack of fishing pressure in small lakes is not always a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Keep your 30 every time you go. Even if you do not clean them. I have fished some lakes like that around here. Lack of fishing pressure in small lakes is not always a good thing.
    The same here at State School lake in Marshall, the MDC guy said don't throw them back even if your going to fertilize your garden with them. I am tired of cleaning small fish, but I do keep them and eat them.
    Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Fellows Lake Down Here In Springfield Is Like That. I Can Clean Small Fish If I Am Hungry For Crappie. I Don't Like To Do It But Hey I Understand Over Population And I Can't See Throwing Food Away.

Post Thanks / Like

Default i'm the same way

i just don't have the heart to catch 30 fish just to kill them without feeding myself. and i don't like to clean them tater chip sized fillets. got a freezer full of regular limits.

i may take some advice and keep the 30 and then release them somewhere else... maybe a nearby pond or river. at least give them a fair chance.

love to see some bigger fish out there, which could only mean that the population would be closer to the amount of available food for the fishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camo_boat View Post
    i just don't have the heart to catch 30 fish just to kill them without feeding myself. and i don't like to clean them tater chip sized fillets. got a freezer full of regular limits.

i may take some advice and keep the 30 and then release them somewhere else... maybe a nearby pond or river. at least give them a fair chance.

love to see some bigger fish out there, which could only mean that the population would be closer to the amount of available food for the fishes.
    SO TRUE BUT I ALSO HAVE OLDER FRIENDS WHO WOULD KILL FOR A MESS OF FISH NO MATTER WHAT SIZE THEY ARE. MOST ARE TOO OLD TO BE ABLE TO FISH ANYMORE. SO I ALWAYS TRY TO TAKE SOME TO SOMEONE WHO COULD USE A GOOD MEAL IF I HAVE EXTRA.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh i keep grandma and grandpa well fed on fish. they just can't get out anymore, but are always happy to see a nice bowl full of fillets. of all the things i like about fishing, that is one of my favs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camo_boat View Post
    Oh i keep grandma and grandpa well fed on fish. they just can't get out anymore, but are always happy to see a nice bowl full of fillets. of all the things i like about fishing, that is one of my favs!
    YEAH WIFES FOLKS ARE LIKE THAT. HER MOM IS IN A WHEEL CHAIR. SHE CALLS ME ONCE IN A WHILE AND TELLS ME GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GO CATCH SOME FISH AND COME AND HAVE A FISH FRY! I ALWAYS TRY TO KILL HER WHEN I FRY FISH BECAUSE I WILL FRY UP ABOUT 50 CRAPPIE FOR THE 4 OF US AND PUT ALL OF THEM IN FRONT OF HER! WE LEAVE THEM ALL THE LEFT OVER COOKED FISH, PUT THEM INTO BAGS FOR THEM AND PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER. THEN THEY TAKE THEM OUT AND REHEAT THEM AND EAT ON THEM FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS.