Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Failures of Boating Courtesy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Top 10 Failures of Boating Courtesy

I saw this article on lake-link.com . I thought is was good enough to pass on.

Top 10 Failures Of Boating Courtesy
    Author: Ted Peck
    June 2009

Nothing puts the pin in a fishing party hog faster than being forced to contend with discourteous boaters. Natural Resource organizations in many states-Wisconsin included-require young boaters to successfully complete a boating safety course before piloting a watercraft. I think all boaters should be required to show proficiency in boat operation. Further,
    "If I am destined to an eternity of hell and damnation, my time will be spent at a boat ramp."course content should include information on boating courtesy beyond what is required by law. Some discourteous boaters are simply ignorant of unwritten rules out there on the water. Some are aware but operating on their own agenda. A few are intentionally obnoxious .
    If you're a new boater and really want to do the right thing, please read on. If you are one of those folks who belongs to the other two groups, may your rude behavior come back at you from those of the same ilk every time you leave the ramp.

Following is a look at my "top 10 boating faux pas" list , ranging from the mildly annoying to what it would be like to lose salvation and end up in hell.

10. THE PLOWING WAKERS: Most folks know that you should slow down when passing between a group of other boaters. This means leaving no wake as you pass. Slowing down just a little so that your boat "plows" thru the water is more disruptive to somebody who is trying to fish than flying past with your boat on plane and leaving less wake.

9. BOZO BANDLEADERS: If the music of nature isn't good enough for you, fine. But please don't enlighten me with your musical tastes or sports updates. Voices carry over water. Radio and CD noise carries even further. If you MUST bring canned noise along , how 'bout playing "Here comes the Clowns" so everybody knows what's coming.

8. TUNE CHANGERS: The first boat to arrive at a fishing area gets to dictate how others arriving later should fish. If the first boat starts trolling counterclockwise, you should too. If the first boat anchors up, back off a respectable distance and drop the hook. The only excuse for anchoring in the midst of trollers or trolling among boats anchored is if nine out of 10 voices in your head agree that its your world and all others are just living in it.

7. SHORELINE SNEAKERS: If anglers in another boat are obviously working a stretch of shoreline or reef , pass by behind their backs without leaving a wake . Navigating between somebody's boat and where they are casting is something an Illynesian would do.

6. SHORELINE HOPPERS: Bass tournament anglers are famous for sliding in to fish a shoreline just ahead of your boat , even though a deployed trolling motor and being clearly underway indicates your intentions. If you must work a given stretch of shoreline, go to the far end of your chosen course and come back towards the other boat, taking care not to be a "shoreline sneaker" when meeting and passing the other boater.

5. DOGGERS: With time on the water its easy to recognize a guide who is fishing with clients. He is working . Persons are paying for his expertise . Give this boat a wide berth . Better yet, fish elsewhere until the guide boat moves on.

4.PRO-ANGLER WANNABES: Boaters who excuse rude behavior with "I'm in a tournament " know better and are just being jerks . Unfortuantely, too many tourney anglers think being a jerk is part of being a tournament angler.

3. JET SKIS: Too bad the DNR will never go along with my plan to treat jet skiers like upland game with a limit of three daily with no weapon larger than a BB gun, Dardevle spoon or slingshot.

2. LITTERBUGS: Virtually everyone knows littering is wrong . Why are our waters and and shorelines still covered with litter ?

1. RAMP CAMPERS: A boat ramp is for launching a boat . Not rigging a boat for launch, loading gear or casual conversation. When boating alone your rig should occupy the ramp site for no more than three minutes. When boating with a buddy, no more than one minute….same goes for taking the boat out of the water.

If I am destined to an eternity of hell and damnation, my time will be spent at a boat ramp. A boat ramp is for launching boats. Period.

- Ted Peck

Cap'n Ted Peck has over 30 yrs. guiding experience, specializing in multi-species fishing on Pool 9-10 of the Mississippi from Genoa, Wi. to Prairie du Chien. Cap'n Ted is a pro staffer for Lund, Lindy, MinnKota, Lindy-Little Joe and Cottonmouth Lures. When not guiding Cap'n Ted communicates the outdoors experience via newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and through seminars. This work has taken him all over the midwest, Canada and beyond... but he always returns to the upper Mississippi which he considers the most diverse fishery in North America. Click here for more info on Ted's guide service.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with #1. I can launch or load by myself faster than a lot of boats with 2 people. Hate when people sit in line and park on the ramp to prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Parking lot PIGS were omitted. I agree with these, but, usually attempt to help the dummies out and attempt to be courteous to them. emphasis on usually and attempt!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=hunt4crappie;815483]I saw this article on lake-link.com . I thought is was good enough to pass on.

June 2009

1. RAMP CAMPERS: A boat ramp is for launching a boat . Not rigging a boat for launch, loading gear or casual conversation. When boating alone your rig should occupy the ramp site for no more than three minutes. When boating with a buddy, no more than one minute….same goes for taking the boat out of the water.

A ramp is for launching and retrieving.There are many places that I cannot launch,find a mooring and then walk back and get my transportation out of the water in 3 minutes.Same goes for retrieval.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=RAMMIE;815519]
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt4crappie View Post
    I saw this article on lake-link.com . I thought is was good enough to pass on.

June 2009

A ramp is for launching and retrieving.There are many places that I cannot launch,find a mooring and then walk back and get my transportation out of the water in 3 minutes.Same goes for retrieval.
    Yep, I think it depends on the ramp conditions. I hurry as much as possible, but I am not going to sacrifice my equipment or myself to get launched to please everyone. Patience is the key at any ramp.

I sat at a ramp one time watching a gentleman and his wife having a terrible time backing down the ramp. Instead of getting mad at them I offered my assistance and backed the vehicle and boat down for them and launched their boat. They were new to this and really appreciated the help. On the other hand I have had bad days myself. Just recently as I was loading my boat I had a hard time. A young guy asked if I needed help and I accepted. I allowed him to get in my truck and help me get the boat off the ramp.

Yea, I know some guys take their time just to tick everyone off, but we have to be able to tell the difference between those people and the ones who are new to the boating world and really need help.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good point hunt4crappie...thanks for bringing it up.

Post Thanks / Like

11. BOAT BUMPERS will see you're catching fish while you're anchored, come from out of nowhere, then anchor close to you and try your tactics. They might spot you using binoculars. Once that happened to us crappie fishing on Watts Bar. We were using slip bobbers fishing about 14' deep a good 60 yards from the bank, catching plenty of crappie and white bass. These wise fishermen in the other boat didn't know we were using slip floats. You know how a slip float works, you reel in, your float comes all the way to your sinker, and you can cast with a foot or less line. These jokers were fishing a foot deep (they thought we were) using minnows. I heard one of them cuss and they got the %$^ out of Dodge. Fishing a foot deep in the middle of the lake?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I printed this and will make copies to put on windshields when a bass tourney is going on. Can't get in the parking lot for all the trailers, maybe some will take it to heart.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharin'...
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of ramp courtesy...turn yer headlights off when yer backing into the water. you dont need em,yer backin up. and you blind everyone else at the ramp. And while we're at it. keep hold of yer younguns.I have seen way to many children{not to mention the drunks} barefott running thru the parking lot,not paying attention because their feet are on fire from the hot asphalt. and if you really wanna git nit picky. dont leave yer wife{sorry ladies} with a vehicle she cant drive or park.be it the boat or the truck and trailer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast