PDA

View Full Version : J & J Habitat Report and issues...lol.....pics

Cane Pole
09-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Got the goodies and found them very simple to assemble. I was missing a few of the plastic pegs thanks to the delicate shipping and handling via UPS. I used plastic tie wraps to hold the "branches" in place. This works good as the pegs, just ain't as purdy. Didn't want to bother anybody about missing parts, especially when it was a gift.

Put a green habitat out and marked it with GPS. Went back and cound not find it. I wasn't about to loose this baby, so I rounded up my old faithful Grappling hook. I thought sure I could grab it with this hooker. Not so. I found the habitat and could feel the hooker grab it, but it wouldn't snag the plastic. Just kept sliding off the hooker. Well, after about 15 minutes of screwing around with the hooker, I went for a swim. Yep. I tied a rope around the bugger and pulled it up. I was not gonna loose this thang.

I took it back to the house and placed some wood strips inside the pvc branches. I put it in the top 4 pvc pipes, drilled holes in the end, and placed tie wraps to secure the wood in the pvc. Next, I haulded it back to the same spot marked on my GPS and sank the rascal again. I ran over it several times making sure of my GPS mark. It looks like submerged floating debris. This worked for me. Maybe my depth finder ain't worth a crap. I don't know.
I tried all the settings out on my finder (sensitivity, speed, water clarity, etc), but until I put the wood in the pvc, nothing showed up.

I placed it adjacent to an existing brushpile that has dwindled down to a lump. I expect to have fish hanging out this coming weekend, algee or not.
We will see.

Honey cleaned up my mess from ripping the wood...lol

1weezer
09-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Good job Cane Pole. Now give me the way point and I will let you know if I catch any fish off of it. LOL

anchorpuller
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Honey should get first dibs on fishin it since SHE cleaned up da mess! :p

crappieseeker
09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks like you got several of those things. I need to get mine in the water.

chef
09-07-2005, 08:30 PM
If Anybody Got Any Samples That Were Missing Parts, Let Me
Know And I'll Send You Some Replacements. It Seems Like The
Shipping Company Has Been Especially Hard On The Last Group Of
Stuff We Sent Out. I Have Not Had Anyone Report Actually Finding Our Fish Habitat On A Depth Finder. Some Have Spoken About How They Should Be Found But I Dont Think The Average Fisherman Has Been Able To Find Them In A Normal Day Of Fishing.

I Especially Got A Kick Out Of Cane Pole Going In The Water
After His. One Of The Difficulties We Have Had With Our Products
Is Convincing People That The Habitat Will Be Very Difficult
To Find Once It Is In The Water, And They Really Need To Mark
The Spot Well. I Use A Gps, Pictures And Triangulation To Find
My Stuff. It Is Amazing How Much The Looks Of The Lake Can
Change With Different Water Depths And Seasons.

Best Regards
Chef

1weezer
09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Russ and I are going to do a TV show the 22nd and 23rd of this month and will show how to put these things together and drop them in the water. We will also show how to set your depth finder to show them on the screen. Should be an interesting show.

chef
09-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Tom:

A 3" or 4" fun noodle will fit inside the pipes and should make the one top end float. That will make them stand up straight and not fall over on their sides. I am wondering if the wood inside the top few cross branches will make that part of the tree float or sink?

MOOSE

OUR STUFF SHOULD STAND UP PRETTY STRAIGHT WITHOUT THE NOODLES.
THEY ARE DESIGNED TO USE THE BOUYANCY OF WATER AND DONT DO
THAT WELL LEFT STANDING ON DRY GROUND. THE GREEN PLASTIC MODELS ARE MADE OUT OF A PLASTIC THAT FLOATS, SO WHEN IT IS SUBMERGED IT PRETTY WELL STANDS UP STRAIGHT WITH A WEIGHT
IN THE BOTTOM, BUT IT WILL NOT LOOK THAT GREAT ON LAND. THE
WHITE PLASTIC MODELS HAVE LIMB PLACEMENT WHICH HELPS THEM
STAND UP OR ACTUALLY LEAN SLIGHTLY, AND AGAIN THEY USE THE WATER.
WE RECOMMEND THAT THE HABITATS BE ASSEMBLED ON THE WATER
AND NOT AT HOME. ONE FLEW OUT OF A TRUCK BUT SURVIVED. ITS JUST A LOT EASIER TO ASSEMBLE THEM IN THE BOAT AND DUMP THEM OUT, RATHER THAN HAULING AROUND AN ASSEMBLED ATTRACTOR.
THE NOODLES WOULD CERTAINLY HELP, BUT I DON'T THINK THEY ARE A
REQUIREMENT ON OUR STUFF.

BEST REGARDS
CHEF

1weezer
09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Hey Chef.
Have you decided if your coming to the TeeZur tournament? We would love to see you there. I promise we won't pick on you too bad. LOL

chef
09-07-2005, 09:00 PM
My Wife And I Will Be There, We Already Have A Room Reserved. She
Won't Let Me Go Anywhere By Myself After I Started Out For Kentucky And Ended Up In Illinois. The Woman Won't Let Me Forget It. I'll See You
At The Tournament. We'll Arrive Friday Evening.

Best Regards
Chef

crappieseeker
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Mine was shipped in a box and was very well secured. It had all the parts.

CrappieHead
09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
If you use fun noodle to help float your trees only use a few inches of one. Them sucker sure float good. Floated my trees and a 5 gallon bucket filled with 80-100# of quickrete last year. That was one heck of a job pulling that up.
I set out some home made trees this summer that I made with 5 gallon buckets & old milk crates with 1" PVC arms. Use rope it hold them to the bottom also used SS screws and cable ties to hold the arms in place. Hoping the fish will have a place to hide within the buckets and crates. Each bucket and crate has a 1" peice of fun noodle on the inside top with the rope going through the middle.

I have another one ready to go in next trip.

chef
09-08-2005, 04:57 AM
(no text)

gooch
09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Cane pole you need to donate that saw to the Smithsonian. How old is that thing?

gooch
09-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Moose

The fun noodle will not work for long.

I have tried a number of them and they are not made to stay in the water long at all. I used them as floats in my live basket in my boat stall and I have to replace them every year. I dont know why but they just get water logged and just dont provide any bouancy after a few months in the water.

Try a 20 0z soda bottle and a 3 inch sheet rock screw to keep it in the pvc and save the cap for another invention.

Bubba60
09-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Chef,
Mine was received intact. I still haven't decided just where to locate it. Thanks again

Cane Pole
09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
The wood was placed inside the pvc, then cut so not to extend beyond the pvc. It is inside the pvc pipe, not sticking out the ends!!!! I thought my directions were simple. Stick it inside the pvc. Cut the wood off, not to extend beyond the pvc limbs. It is inside the pvc. No hang-ups if inside the pvc and not protruding. Me, personally, I don't give a d**n if someone finds the stuff. More power to them...lol

This stuff is stealthy, no doubt in my mind. Good stuff Chef. Don't worry bout missing parts Chef. Folks should be appreciative, not "wads". I truly appreciate your generousity.

Richard, I guess you need to show me how to use me own sonar...haha

Will see.................

Tom

CrappieHead
09-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Moose I used a end cap on my PVC trees once and drilled 2 holes in the top and tied my rope. I ran the rope through the first hole then back through the second and tied it to the main rope in a slip knot and pulled them tight. I used 2 small SS screww in the side of the end cap to hold it to the PVC Piping. SS screw will not rust underwater.
I would cut that 6" fun noodle in half and use it. PVC trees are not heavy.

Now I tied some old fishing line to the top of mine and used a slip bobber and a small slip shot on the end so when I sank it the bobber would mark it on the top of the water and I could get my GPS locked in and make a note in my head to find it when I returned. After I marked it I cut the fishing line and took my bobber.

duane

I may need to borrow a swimming pool to test out how much fun noodle and concrete I will need to get the tree to stand up.

Chef said that one of the pvc tree's plastic is actually boyant. That I didn't know about.

I was wondering how much fun noodle I needed. I have one 10ft long fun noodle that I cut into 6" long sections to use for making buoys. I tied about 60 ft of string around the short fun noodle and then a 6 oz lead weight to the other end of the string. I added two long 6" nails along the long axis of the fun noodle on one part of the outside edge of the noodle. That makes one side of the noodle heavy and will prevent the string from coming off the noodle when the lead weight unwinds and fianlly hits the lake bottom. I found out that these buoys don't work as well as I would have liked so I am sticking to the retail "H" shaped plastic orange bouys that I got at Wal-Mart.

So I have a few pieces of the fun noodles left that I never made into bouys.

Do you think that a 6" long x 4" diameter fun noodle would float the 4" diamter by 2ft long section of PVC pipe willed with Quickcrete? I need to figure out how much a short pipe section filled with concrete weights.

A swimming pool that is about 12ft deep would be a perfect test site.

I just had a brilliant idea. Using two of the pins that Chef provided me I can easily drill holes in a 4" pvc cap and then into the top of a 4" pipe and use the pins to secure a cap to the top of the pipe. With the pins the cap can be removed and then I can experment with different lenghts of fun noodle until I get the bouyance just right. If I need to add more fun noodle all I'll have to do is pull the pins out and remove the cap and add another short section of fun noodle and then put the cap and pins back in place.

boat49
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
1weezer, about the tv show, I'm in Oklahoma, will I be able to see the show? Now for the rest of you guys, wow, lot's of good information on how to rig the attractors. This will be my first attempt at putting anything in a lake. Hoping I get it right and can get back to it!!!....good luck and good fishing

DENNIS BOWERS
09-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I"m geting ready to place mine[had all the pins].Learned a lot from every ones posts!!I like the bobber idea,think I"ll try that till I"m sure I can find em! Thanks Again Chef!!!!

chef
09-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I"m geting ready to place mine[had all the pins].Learned a lot from every ones posts!!I like the bobber idea,think I"ll try that till I"m sure I can find em! Thanks Again Chef!!!!

Your welcome, I hope the attractors work for you. one thing we have been
doing is fishing at night with submersible lights for crappie. i fish over
plastic and once i get set and the rods out i usually don't move except
to go home. a new twist we are trying is that before i anchor or tie up
we have been throwing out jugs for catfish and leaving them in place until
we head for home. we make our "jugs' out of plastic kids swimming
noodles that some of the guys have been talking about. we bait them up
and throw them out in a cove, using weights to hold them to the bottom.
after we are done crappie fishing we cruise around and look for the floats.
sometimes we catch none, two or three or four or five, you never know.
it doesnt take long to do and it adds a nice twist to the night, especially
if the grandkids are along. they get a kick out of bring the noodles in.
i have a tape showing how to make the noodles, but in the tape they
werent weighted to the bottom. i tried it but it didnt work. we now weight
ours and they work a lot better. you may not be interested in fishing
with a noodle but i thought i would mention it to you, and some of the
other guys may piok up on it.

DENNIS BOWERS
09-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Several guys here on the Wolf River end of the Hollow set out noodles like that for cats. Seems to work real well -have seen several unweighted ones swimming!!!I helped chase one for an older fellow about a month ago.Finally caught it , LOL ,about a 3 ft gar!!! Dont think he was impressed after all the work!!

chef
09-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Several guys here on the Wolf River end of the Hollow set out noodles like that for cats. Seems to work real well -have seen several unweighted ones swimming!!!I helped chase one for an older fellow about a month ago.Finally caught it , LOL ,about a 3 ft gar!!! Dont think he was impressed after all the work!!

THE FIRST TIME I USED THE NOODLES,AT NIGHT, I DIDN'T ADD ANY WEIGHT
AT ALL, THE WIND CAME UP AND MY NOODLES WERE ALL OVER THE LAKE.
WHILE WE WERE LOOKING FOR THEM A STORM CAME UP AND WE HEADED FOR
THE DOCK. I GOT MOST OF MY NOODLES, BUT IT MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF
ME THAT A GUY NEEDS TO USE WEIGHTS AT NIGHT.

BEST REGARDS
CHEF

anchorpuller
09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
We tried the noodle thing and caught several nice cats on them.
One tip we figured out was to put a piece of reflector tape or a glow stick on it to find it easier at night.
We put out 8 of them one night and after about an hour a pontoon boat came by and hit one of them... oops. I was trying to figure out how to run on water as I heard it and he stopped. In a few minutes (me holding my breath) he started back up and went on, so it must not have hurt anything.
I found the noodle later and the metal bar was bent and the line and hook was gone. I'm sure glad it didn't hurt the guys boat.

chef
09-11-2005, 05:52 PM
We tried the noodle thing and caught several nice cats on them.
One tip we figured out was to put a piece of reflector tape or a glow stick on it to find it easier at night.
We put out 8 of them one night and after about an hour a pontoon boat came by and hit one of them... oops. I was trying to figure out how to run on water as I heard it and he stopped. In a few minutes (me holding my breath) he started back up and went on, so it must not have hurt anything.
I found the noodle later and the metal bar was bent and the line and hook was gone. I'm sure glad it didn't hurt the guys boat.

DID YOU USE WEIGHTS OR NOT? IT SOUNDS LIKE WHATEVER YOU DID
IT WORKED PRETTY WELL.

CHEF

anchorpuller
09-11-2005, 06:07 PM
DID YOU USE WEIGHTS OR NOT? IT SOUNDS LIKE WHATEVER YOU DID
IT WORKED PRETTY WELL.

CHEF
Oh yes, We weighted them down with (trying to remember what weight) Seems like it was some one ounce weights we had left over from croaker fishing.