Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bullet Bobber?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bullet Bobber?

Has anyone tried these for trolling for crappie? A friend gave me one and I hope to try it out this weekend, but if anyone has used them before, I'd like to hear any tips for using them.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    Has anyone tried these for trolling for crappie? A friend gave me one and I hope to try it out this weekend, but if anyone has used them before, I'd like to hear any tips for using them.
    Never had the occasion to use one..........looking forward
    to your results
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

I have used them for trolling and dont really like the results. I think the work better for casting. Cant elaborate more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's their web site <center>Pro slip-rigging FLOAT & FLY</center>
    seen their post on couple other sites asking questions about using it etc. Infomercial type post???? who knows it may work????
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I've gotten is printing off the specs to make a few with. Looking forwards to hearing how they work myself. Be sure to post your results.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    seen their post on couple other sites asking questions about using it etc. Infomercial type post????

Bingo!

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine it'll catch a fish or two. Let us know how you do with it.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy got one free when he bought their double fin planer boards. I hope to give it a try over the weekend - will review it here for y'all. Who knows, if I end up liking it, I've been thinking of getting back into whittling

Post Thanks / Like

Well... gave it a try, and it's pretty cool to be able to troll a 1/8 oz jig planer-board-style. Only problem I had, is that the bullet bobber I have (4") is really too big for such a little lure. There isn't enough weight/drag from the bait to keep it running to one side of the boat, and it's difficult to give a tug to change directions. I tried with a medium-sized crank bait and it worked like a charm.

So - I'll review it like this: Works as advertised, however make sure you choose the right size for the bait you're using, or it won't work quite right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    Well... gave it a try, and it's pretty cool to be able to troll a 1/8 oz jig planer-board-style. Only problem I had, is that the bullet bobber I have (4") is really too big for such a little lure. There isn't enough weight/drag from the bait to keep it running to one side of the boat, and it's difficult to give a tug to change directions. I tried with a medium-sized crank bait and it worked like a charm.

So - I'll review it like this: Works as advertised, however make sure you choose the right size for the bait you're using, or it won't work quite right.
    Thanks Joe,

I admit they aren't “one size fits all” or “plug and play” and they are more like a PC than MAC. But if it was easy it would have been discovered long ago.
    The tricks to trolling are using the right size and trolling very slowly to let them do their thing. They will run from side to side up to 10 times faster then your boat speed. You can troll faster if you just want them to run your bait out to the side but you will need to cast out to the side and pull up the slack quickly. When they are out to the side they are only taking a glancing blow of the waters force and can hold position but then if you flip them they will not recover and need to be recast.

Having them run from side to side can get fish to hit but it does limit how many lines you can run without creating a big mess. I have run three lines from my canoe by putting them out different lengths. I ran the trolling motor with one hand, had a rod in the other and my buddy had a rod in each hand. We really covered the area with all 3 baits cutting back and forth across the wake and could set a rod down anytime we wanted and they would resume a slow trolling style.

I wrote a technical paper for shore fisherpersons and hope you all will give it a read. Why use a BulletBobber?

Best Regards,

Paul & Kathy Lieb
    BulletBobber Enterprises
    3586 Wadsworth Rd.
    Norton, OH 44203 USA
    The Dualfin
    Castable planer boards fishing floats with directional control