Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rods and Rod Techniques

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods and Rod Techniques

There is a great discussion in an earlier blog on lures anglers are using: http://www.crappie.com/crappie/misso...ig-colors.html

How about we start a new blog on how you fish with your lures. I've noticed that a lot of anglers have posted questions on how people fish for crappie. So, with the lure part being discussed. Lets see how you fish your lures.

For me, I'm a tube jig angler exclusively. I would use a 7' light action rod with two jigs tied 12" apart and different colors, cast past where I wanted to fish, count down till I hit the depth I wanted to fish and reeled in my jigs. This tactic worked great when the fish were actively biting, but when things slowed down I wouldn't get any bites. This year I purchased a 12' ultra-light dipping pole and I'm hitting structure. This new technique has improved my fishing. Check out the YouTube video: YouTube - Crappie Fishing Ray Roberts Texas Timber
    Last edited by APKape; 06-03-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

apkape - I can't get on youtube at work so I'll have to check the video tonight, but I agree about the performance of the longer poles. Don't have a 12' but I enjoy my 10' pole very much and may get a 12' in the near future. I just love flipping those jigs and hardly ever having to even use the reel. You can pitch it out far away from the boat and keep tension on the line through the entire drop and retrieve right underneath you again. I've been doing a lot more flipping since I've gotten a longer pole, it may not be more effective all the time but it is fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CallWhy816 View Post
    apkape - I can't get on youtube at work so I'll have to check the video tonight, but I agree about the performance of the longer poles. Don't have a 12' but I enjoy my 10' pole very much and may get a 12' in the near future. I just love flipping those jigs and hardly ever having to even use the reel. You can pitch it out far away from the boat and keep tension on the line through the entire drop and retrieve right underneath you again. I've been doing a lot more flipping since I've gotten a longer pole, it may not be more effective all the time but it is fun.
    It sure does make it more fun. With a 12' rod, each time I hook a fish it feels like a 5 lb crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 10 ft for vertical jigging and the 7 1/2 for casting. I have a 5 1/2 set up for dock shooting, but I have not had a chance to use it much. Hope to fish the Gravois soon and give it a work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apkape View Post
    It sure does make it more fun. With a 12' rod, each time I hook a fish it feels like a 5 lb crappie.

Then when you get a white bass it feels like a 10 lb crappie :D. Everytime I hook one I start making a scene like it's a huge crappie and telling people to get the net and then that dang bass comes up. Can't complain though, I love catching any type of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes i like to cast past my spot and slowly retrieve with double jigs 18-24" apart, or work a slow troll, and sometimes i like to use a single lower weight jig head and drop it slowly and watch the line for tension, especially in brush. i just love it when they hit it on the way down!
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 11ft. dipping pole, nothing like the slam,swim away of the smack on the drop. every day I learn more and more and know less and less, but this dipping I like, not as much as slow trolling but I like it, I keep a 7 1/2 ft. rigged up for pitching trees and bubbles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CallWhy816 View Post
    Then when you get a white bass it feels like a 10 lb crappie :D. Everytime I hook one I start making a scene like it's a huge crappie and telling people to get the net and then that dang bass comes up. Can't complain though, I love catching any type of fish.
    Funny that you said that, becuase I caught a 14" or so largemouth dipping some trees in shallow water. I though my pole was going to snap.

- Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Great Statement Beagle "learn More And More And Know Less And Less"

It's Hard For The Youngn's To Understand That One.

We Love Dipping W/ A 10' Rod. I Have A 14' Rod But It's Heavy. Take The 10 Anyday.

I'm Gonna Try Flipping More W/ A 10' This Year. I'm Liking It.

I Like To Reach Up Just Ahead Of The First Eyelet And Pull The Line Back Taking Up About 6' Of Line, Like Fly Fishing. Then Drop The Tip, Wait Till The Bait Starts To Swings Forward, Raise The Tip, Then Let Go Of The Line. Easy And Accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Dipping 90%. Sometimes dead sticking or a little jiggin some times the other 10% what ever it takes. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast