Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dead Lake Question

iwatkins Guest

Default Dead Lake Question

Okay, the lake is not dead but it might as well be. I went to Jordan Lake, NC where I usually go and my goal was to fish for crappy. Usually I submerge a light which attracts bait fish.. etc.. and then I can catch crappie. However, last night there were NO fish to be found... NOT EVEN bait fish.

I put my light in the water in some submerged stumps... nothing.
    Went to the bridge pilons..... nothing
    Went to the boat dock and did the same... not a SINGLE bait fish.

It was a beautiful day last night clear skies... about 70 something degrees at night.. but unlike any other night.. we didn't see signs of any fish. The only fish I caught were with my cast net when we first arrived..

Has anyone experienced a situation like this.. when all the fish including the bait fish seem to disappear? How do you find fish in a situation like this? I tried a few coves, points, fallen trees... but there were no fish to be found..

I know they are in there.. I just need to learn how to find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you fishing an area fairly shallow? Surface temps may still be too high in that area to be comfortable for the fish. They could be a bit deeper.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

iwatkins Guest

Thinking back.. the water around the bridge pilons was about 25 feet. And usually crappy could be found there. However, in the other spots... it wasn't deep.

Post Thanks / Like

I've hung lights many times and not caught fish. Any baitfish you did attract could have been below the surface a bit. Try slow trolling some steep points in about 16'-20' of water. Use minnows if you like, hooked through the eyes. Start in the 10'-12' depth area. Make a pass, then adjust one shallower, and the other deeper. Make another pass. You will eventually catch a Crappie, and that should give you the depth they are holding. Depending on where you are located, the Crappie could be from 1' - 16' deep. But, you can bet, there are some in the 8'-12' range right now.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Alotta times when nightfishing i hardly ever see bait, but when i pull the ligths up the go crazy jumping all over the place.
    What's worse, to be in church wishing you were fishin' or to be fishin' and know you should be in church?