Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some people still amaze me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some people still amaze me

A buddy and I went fishing for bream in the Savannah River today. As we were headed up river I spotted a couple of older gentlemen in a jon boat anchored along the bank. I slowed down to idle speed to go past them without causing a wake and messing them up. One gentleman waved and yelled "Thank You". I waved back and tipped my hat.
    On the way back down river we encountered them again in a different spot. Again I slowed down to idle speed. Now I was more than 100 feet from them and did not have to do this according to law, but I felt it was the right thing to do. I did not want to have them fighting my wake to stay on their spot, as I hate that happening to me. Again they waved and yelled "Thank You". I then heard them say something else but could not understand them over my motor. I shut down to hear them and they were asking me about my fishing. I had caught a few I kept but not a lot. They then offered up their catch to us so I agreed to take it. As we were side by side we struck up a general conversation. The part that got me was when they said they were giving us their catch because we were so considerate and did not come blasting by them. I thought that was real nice of them and was honored to accept their gift.
    It just goes to show a little courtesy can reap great rewards. Where I barely had a meal I caught with my buddy ended up turning into a small feast due to the kindness of strangers.
    Last edited by hunt4crappie; 06-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"I've always relied on the kindness of strangers."
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Post Thanks / Like

The world needs more people like ya ll , I am so disappointed in the way people act these days! What is this world coming to? A little courtesy goes a long way. Thanks for sharing.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunt4Crappie, you have now been tasked to pass it on yourself. I'm not telling you what to do or how to act, but as you have enjoyed the kindness of others it's now your turn to pass it on. We, as active sportsmen have an opportunity to enjoy our time and reap a harvest in the process. There are many among us who have less opportunity and it's our job, as sportsmen, to give to others what was once given to us. On several occasions people have taken me, in their boat and at their expense, and taught me how to improve my catch. It would be selfish of me not to pass along some of the benefits. I'm not a hard core religious person, but somewhere in the Bible it says something like " as you do unto my brother, you do unto me" . We even get to do a little of Gods work, and don't have to dress for church. Sorry if I seem to preach.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kinda nice to see some good in people.

Kinda makes ya wonder why so many people have to go around with a bee in their britches when doin' what ya'll did makes everybody feel so much better. Good for you, Hunt4.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see others do the same thing I do. I'm usually on a guide trip and it's the client's dime and time. But no matter, I still purposely go out of my way not to wake folks. Maybe one of these days the favor will be returned. More importantly I hope it really catches on and our lake gains a reputation for being the friendliest around. Time will tell.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

great stuff hunt, the other day I was fishing my home lake Falls in Raleigh, had a great morning that produced some real nice slabs, was there also 2 days before with a nice bucket full. as I was putting the boat on the trailer, there was an older couple fishing the bank there. we started talking and they had been there all morning without a nibble.
    I showed em my fish and I could see it in there eyes that they were hungly for some,

so I said get your bucket and gave em all my fish. Hey it feels so good to help people out. I got more then they did forsure.

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Hunt!!!!!! My nephew USED to be one of those that would blast past people that were anchored until I chewed his butt out for it. He's finally learned the basic premis of good boatmansship (go ahead laugh at my spellin).

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

my favorite creek is pretty narrow and i always slow down in the tight areas. It makes me feel good. I usually get a nod or a wave. I also like talking to the older folks that are fishing. Last week was my first time pulling cranks. I could not keep the blue cats off of them but was throwing all of them back. Early in the day i ran into an older gentlemen and i asked how he was doing. He did not have any fish and indicated that he was fishing for anything but really wanted some catfish. I told him to check with me throughout the day and that i would start keeping the cats for him. If i had fish when he came by i would wave at him and he would come over to my boat. Those of you that pull cranks know that once you get everything out its kinda hard for someone to approach your boat. He came in three times and i bet i gave him close to 20#s of catfish. He was happy and i made a knew friend.
    Brush Buster

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done hunt4crappie!!!! I fish that river also, my hat is off to you!! Most will try to turn your boat over as they go by. If you see me on the water stop and talk.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast