Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about crankbaits

New member, frequent reader, first post.

Read alot of info on here about pulling crankbaits. I grew up trolling jigs/minnows on Kentucky Lake -Big Sandy. I have never fished crankbaits, see where the Bandit200/300's are the most popular choice.

My question is how exactly do you fish them? Do you long line them behind the boat or can you troll straight down without taking out a lot of line, much like you would with jig/minnow trolling rigs? Not sure how I could get my crankbait down to proper depth that way. I would like to learn from anybody out there willing to share. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

most guys longline back of the boat 50 to 100 feet. 10 lb line mono,control depth with lure choice and speed is very important. try something in the ranger of 1.5 to 3 mph (gps) keep changing till you start gettin fish. start out with 2 or 3 rods till you get goin to keep tangles down. learn this simple method first , then you can always expand to boards,snap weights, down rods,lead core, lots of ways to troll crank baits.

good luck and let us know how you do.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yodibuzz View Post
    most guys longline back of the boat 50 to 100 feet. 10 lb line mono,control depth with lure choice and speed is very important. try something in the ranger of 1.5 to 3 mph (gps) keep changing till you start gettin fish. start out with 2 or 3 rods till you get goin to keep tangles down. learn this simple method first , then you can always expand to boards,snap weights, down rods,lead core, lots of ways to troll crank baits.

good luck and let us know how you do.
    Very well said and excellent suggestion.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

sakedog,
    Welcome to the site from Louisiana.
    Go to this address for complete Length/Depth low down on Bandits:
    Precision Angling - Home of Precision Trolling the Trolling Bible by Mark Romanack
    1perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard from Vermont!!!!!!! Go through and do a search on crankbait fishing and read everything and if you have any more questions the guys can help you.

Fatman

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A big consideration in trolling cranks/jigs is getting it back where it was without a line counter reel. I will be trying this tomorrow if y'all haven't already done it. Drop your bait in the water and let it start to work, then turn off the anti reverse and backreel a given number, reset A/R and experiment til you produce. Redneck technology?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

You can also measure off spots in the yard and walk out your line and use different color Sharpies for different lengths. One bad is that the color will wear off pretty quick.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    You can also measure off spots in the yard and walk out your line and use different color Sharpies for different lengths. One bad is that the color will wear off pretty quick.
    Thats what i did marked off a 100 foot mark and slid one of those bobber stops on my line the string type pull it tite and it wont slip. Good starter point.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER