Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It got Hot Today

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation It got Hot Today

After having .. High Winds ... Hi Water for the past couple of months I made it out today 1st time in about 10 days .. water still to high for good Brim Fishin so went looking for a few bigmouths (Did catch 3 legal size and 2 small) but the main thing was that I let the HEAT (1st day at 90 degree) get to me started at 7 knocked off at 11 .. I got the the trailer a little off level at the landing and got a little frustrated ... hot ... had to go sit down in the shade for about 45 mins before I could get everything straighten out with some kindly help ... spent the rest of the day trying to get over it .... That Ol'Bear that has tapped me on the shoulder before all most knocked me down this time ... I don't call myself Old .. just gettin Older ... gotta watch it the older U get the worse it is.

Take care out there this Summer ..

JSC
    :o
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel. Saturday, I was shooting the rest of some 2 x 6 rafters on a 26' x 30' carport roof. Earlier in the week I had tossed up 20 sheets of 7/16 OSB and spread them out to have a safe walking area while working up high. I started fairly early, got the final 27 rafters shot in and was having early signs of heat exhaustion. I had already downed 4-20oz bottles of water and the sweat was just pouring off me. I took a break and caught my breath and made an attempt to cool down. I gave it 20 minutes, got up and measured and cut all my bridging material. I was going to get it nail on and had it all topside. That last trip up the ladder I felt the first dizzy spell. I decided to just pull the nailgun down, lock things up and call it a day. I was so beat from it, I left hand tools out, hoses, cords, levels, and anything else that was less then $50. I got the heck out of there and downed two more bottles of water on the 20 minute ride to the house.

That night, about 30 minutes after I went to bed, I had another 30 minute bout of muscle cramps. It was all I could do to try to stand up and walk them off as I was shaking uncontrollably. My muscles finally calmed down and gingerly laid back down.

I'm in my early 50's, but it's the first time that I've ever experienced the dizziness and cramps from the heat of the day. I reckon I ought to realize I shouldn't be trying to do things that once came with ease. I'll be pacing myself from here out.

Glad you were able to get cooled down!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot Today

I know where yall are coming from on the heat. I've had 2 heat strokes myself, one in Viet-Nam and one about 6 years ago while fishing
    Let me tell ya I thought I was gonna die, I was seeing those heat monkeys.
    You better take care of yourselfs in the heat, work with lights at night if you have to.
    After the heat strokes I can't take any kind of heat. That's why I don't book any fishing trips in the summer time, just fall, winter and spring for me now.
    Yall stay cool..............crappie cowboy
    Last edited by crappie cowboy; 06-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Temp has finally risen in Alabama and all the rain has stopped. My favorite fishing area is the Alabama River, so I went yesterday. I was actually getting depressed and could not figure it out until I was on the river and my mood took a turn for the better, much better. OK, the river was running too fast to do much good fishin but it's a start.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am almost 60 and am carrying around about 30lbs extra that I need to get rid of. I got out today and cut my grass with a push mower in all this heat and then went fishing for awhile. What I did while working out in the sun was take a break about every 30 mins for water and some sit down time. Got all my work done with no problem. Be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 26. Heat don't bother me.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot Today

Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATEjiggy View Post
    I'm 26. Heat don't bother me.
    That's the same think I thought at 19 when I had my first heat stroke in Viet-Nam. Take precautions there superman, sheet happens.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Can get anyone

The heat can get to any one if you happen to be in the right physical condition (and age comes in here) ... how much you exert your self & etc.

If I had gotten the boat on right the first time I think I would have been OK .. but ... got a little frustrated and I think that was the final blow .. And I am closer to 80 than 70 So I have to stop and think about that once in a while ... don't like to but ....

Keep the water handy .. but as CrappieReaper said he had been drinking some and it still got to him.

Be carteful out their

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electrolytes

Do not forget to add a good electrolyte to all that water. I spent 15 months in Iraq and know about some heat. Too much water can be a bad thing too. It can wash all your electrolytes out of you. Take some oranges or something like that with you and even try some of those Powerade Zero's... they are not as sweet as the regular ones which is better cause the sugar is bad. Also try some Smart Water. It is supposed to have electrolytes added into it. You sweat out more than what water can just put in. I am not saying its bad to drink alot of water in heat but your body needs more. I like to take some Power Ade Zero's with me and drink one of those every few hours or so along with my water. And yes take frequent breaks. There were many times where we would come in from patrols and lay around and get IV's to get back into shape better and quicker. When you are going like that we needed them. I wish I could get the supplies to do IV's... they are awesome for hydrating you quickly. We had a medic that would get a bunch and after a night of drinking everyone would sit around the next morningand get a bag. :D

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing the Weather Channel and all the heat that's going around everyone BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!! We don't want to lose anyone.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast