Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated!

please bare with me on this: Kind of long.
    First of all I am 33 Yrs old and live in Texarkana TX. As a boy growing up I fished with my father every chance I got. While fishing with my father I soaked in alot of fishing knowledge techniques on Wright Patman Lake. At least one out of every 3 crappie fishing trips we would catch a pretty good mess. Some of the best times of my life. About 10 years ago me and my father no longer fished anymore due to my father being diagnosed with cancer. He passed away shortly after. I have hardly done any type of fishing since the passing of my father. I am currently now the father of 2 boys an 8 and 9 year old. Early this spring my 9 year old got to do some fishing while at Boyscout camp. He caught his first fish (a nice Crappie) and he was hooked. As my son came home to tell me about his first fish I was reminded of my days fishing with my father. All he could think about was me and his brother doing some fishing. It prompted me to buy a very nice fishing boat, re stock on poles, supplies, and tackle. I was just as excited as my boys. The first trip out brought back all the good times on the lake me and my Father had when I was a young boy. Our first trip we boated 0 fish and both of my sons were disappointed. I explained that sometimes the fish win and there are good days and bad days. After that trip I began remembering all the spots and methods me and my father used to use to find the crappie. I have taken advantage of every day off of work to fish. We have fished for Crappie, Bream, catfish, and pretty much anything that would bite for the past 2 months. Sad to say our luck has been less than terrible. No Crappie, a couple of drum and a few fiddler catfish. This past weekend for the first time both of my boys did not want to go fishing. They said "we never catch anything" I realize I have been out of the saddle a while but the fishing has been horrible. Deep water trolling, mid water jigging, the shallows, you name it I have attempted it just like my father taught me to. I have been from one end of the lake to another. It has been very frustrating. Talking to fellow fishermen and locals some claim to be doing real well and have offered advice, but no luck. Has fishing seriously got so difficult since I was a boy? Most people tell me the lake is just to high. This maybe so, but I can recall catching fish in this lake while fishing from flooded public roads. It seems Wright Patman is not the fishing lake it once was. I have kept promising the boys we'll get'em next time but next time has not come and now it looks like my fishing trips may have actually caused my boys fishing desires to deminish. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Find yourself a crappie guide on Wright Patman that will put you on some fish and show the lake. Yes, lake levels are high and yes things have changed alot in the past 20 years. If he's worth his salt it will be the best investment you ever made toward your fishing future.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

well i would ask a few people whats working on the lakes your fishing at, bluegill are always a easy catch along weedy shore lines with worms. One thing i always try to do when the bite is off is mix it up some, i try to make it a fun trip buy stopping along shoreline some were and go for a nature walk in the woods or just play around in the water, either way your time with your kids will be a life long memories

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

It is not all about catching fish when you are out with the kids. sure it is nice to get on them some time. What I do when I am out with the kids and the fish are not biting is find some where in the lake that there is not much traffic and teach them how to drive the boat ( you will see some of the biggest smiles you have ever seen on there faces when they do this) or let them operate the trolling motor ( you will get a kick out of this watching them try to get it) .Just make it fun and the will be looking forward to going back out. but most of all just enjoy your time out with them and if you just want to catch fish do what Darryl said you will not regreat it

Post Thanks / Like

do what Darryl said
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,you have a chance to learn with the boys,which they will remember learning and teaching each other and dad.....life doesn't any better then this.

Alot of things could be the reason for no fish,the weather plays the biggest part in and how fish will bit in lakes.River fishing is diffferent from lakes when the pressure is low and dropping,you can catch fish even on low pressure days in the rivers not the lakes.

Crappie still eat the same things you and your dad used when fishing together however some new things have came out that will help even the oldies lures.

Let the boys read this site and others to find out all they can on what when where to catch crappie.On your next outing let them pick and chose what when and where and if it was me I'd pick up a tube of crickets.Bass,bream,crappie love crickets and a big old bull bream may be your ticket to stardom.Best of luck to you and your boys.......

Post Thanks / Like

You should stop lake hopping, and do a little research. I am not familiar with the lakes in your area, but I would find one within reasonable distance, that has the fish you are after, and take your time to learn it. The only way to go right to honey holes and catch fish all day, is to know where they are. The more time you spend on a body of water throughout the seasons, the more you can learn about it. Fish are the same, no matter where you fish, you just need to know where they are, and how to catch them. Once you learn a lake, you can eliminate unproductive water. I have lakes and spots I have fished for years, and still get skunked some days. Thats why they call it fishing!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

U will learn 10x more 10x's faster with a quality guide,, and ask a lot of questions about seasonal patterns bait fish etc. Be sure to take kids with also.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

these guys are right on with hiring a guide to help out, i have also learned alot from the guys on here, especially the ones in my state, keep up with the posts and try some things they do, wish you luck

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, there's a bunch - Wright Patman Lake, Sabine river (Paris, Mineola) Fishing charters and fishing guides So, I definitely do some research and get local recommendations.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast