Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing "the flats"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing "the flats"

When some of you guys fish "the flats" for those post-spawn or summer-pattern crappie, WHAT exactly are you looking for (on your fish-finder)?

An elevated plateau away from shore? A flat off the end of a point with deeper water on either side? A flat area beside a river channel? Any level spot in the lake bottom that has structure?

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on it. Frankly, because a lot of the time we fish with kids, we've always caught most of our fish by jiggin' straight down near structure (either trees showing above the waterline or structure graphed underwater) and preferably somewhere in a transition area (from deeper to shallower water). Kind of ridiculous to always expect that pattern to work, so I'm trying to learn a few "new" ways.

Ralph
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Version Of A Flat

Of Course If It Is By The Channel Be It Main Or Creek All The Much Better........ There Are Several Summer Flat Patters, Start In 15'fow And They Will Usually Be 6 To 8' Down And Will Hit It On The Drop Watch The Line Close..... Or U Can Go To A 4' Flat And Do The Same Thing, But Still Try To Find Flats With Lots Of Structure Showing And Not Showing On It......... Just Fish Like He77.........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good One

Good one Ralph. I'm also anxious to hear the responses.

Good seeing you this weekend by the way. Thanks for the text.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

when I fish the flats, I usually look for the flat befor a cove, creek channel, or off a big bluff, if there are visible trees ok, if not I look at the bank, what the bank looks like up a few feet is probably what the bottom looks like several feet out in the water. I like to work 25 feet of water and fish 12ft. down. I dip trees but mostly slow troll, I like a little mud and shallow water dont bother me a bit, I learned from Ed,Duncan,and Hogster that shallow water is not to be ignored, so if you get the chance to get a map and check out some of the shallow areas close to deep water, good luck hope this helps,

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you asked for the rest of us. I know we just had this conversation and it would be good to shed some light on the topic.

Side note: I used the night lights (and baited the area) this weekend and it worked perfectly. I attracted tons of crappie, too bad they were all 4-6 inchers....:p

Give me a call if you want details.
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants