Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer maintenance question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer maintenance question

I have a 2005 Trailstar trailer (without brakes) from Tracker. The wheel hubs have grease fittings behind rubber caps. The dealer stated they only need to be greased once a season. I've been greasing them about every other time its been in the water. Each time I take a rubber cap off after a trip, there is about 1/2 of a thimble full of water in them. These caps are clearly not designed to be water tight, and look like they are there to keep the dirt out. I've been pumping in new grease (and flusing out the old grease). I know water is not getting into the hub or bearings since the grease flushed out is not water contaminated.

So, how ofter should I grease my hubs? I think I'm doing it too often, but once a season seems too infrequent.

Thanks as always for the help!
    Regards,
    Rowland

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a set of bearin buddies. Best investment you can make for a trailer.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Then top them off with the bras
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL

Used properly, bearing will last just about forever.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, take a hub cap with you to be sure you get the right size.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If you are greasing them every other time you are taking it out, the back seals are probably blown. Bill is right about the bearing buddies. But you can put in too much. If the back seals are ok, greasing them twice a year should be fine. I always touch the hub after traveling a few miles to see if they are hot. If they are hot, you don't have enough grease in them.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I already have something like that. In fact, the dealer explained that the fittings on the trailer "are just like bearing buddies." I think all new Trailstar trailers have them

Here's a pic I just took:

If you look at my hub, there is a rubber cap that you pull off. Behind the cap is a grease fitting. You pump grease into the fitting and an overfill system allows grease to flow back out around the from around the bearing. The cap I was referring to is sort of like the ones you linked to.

It's a really nice system.

My concern is how often should be greasing them. Once a year doesn't seem like enough.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    If you are greasing them every other time you are taking it out, the back seals are probably blown. Bill is right about the bearing buddies. But you can put in too much. If the back seals are ok, greasing them twice a year should be fine. I always touch the hub after traveling a few miles to see if they are hot. If they are hot, you don't have enough grease in them.
    I have the Trailstar equivalent of bearing buddies. If I overfill the bearing, the grease flows out of ports in the front of the bearing. It has an over-fill avoidance system, just like bearing buddies. The dealer told me its virtually impossible to blow out seals with this system. In fact, he told me when servicing them to pump in the grease until it flows out the front. That's what I have been doing.
    Last edited by SkyChimp; 09-06-2005 at 07:00 PM.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the twice a year comment...the dealer I bought my trailer (rigged with bearing buddies) from claimed over greasing can cause increased pressure in there when the bearings get hot (while towing)...that's when the grease could expand and blow a seal. He said you only need to grease them far enough so the plunger "begins" to move...don't fill it to overload.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    I agree with the twice a year comment...the dealer I bought my trailer (rigged with bearing buddies) from claimed over greasing can cause increased pressure in there when the bearings get hot (while towing)...that's when the grease could expand and blow a seal. He said you only need to grease them far enough so the plunger "begins" to move...don't fill it to overload.
    That is true but you may have to do it a little more often at first until all the air is worked out. It doesn't take long.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    I can understand an increase in pressure in a sealed unit since there is no place for grease to escape. Essentially what you do there is pump grease into a area that can't expand or vent off excess grease. Heat will build increasing pressure until something bursts.

But bearing buddies (and my bearings) have overfill protection that prevent overfilling with grease. Pump too much in and it simply squirts out the overflow holes (or whatever they are called). Wouldn't that also prevent a build up of pressure? It seems to me that there is just no way to overfill these since excess grease just squirts our the overfill ports. In fact, the dealer advised me that when servicing the bearings I should pump in grease to get the old stuff out and replace it with new grease.

Thanks for the comments.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree...And after doing mine I have seen the overflow leak out on mine like you say yours do. That's just what the dealer said...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast