PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Slider Grubs

ready2fish
06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Been using some of those Charlie Brewer grubs and would like try different ones and don't feel like doing the trial and error thing and would like to know from the ones that use them what if your favorite top 2 colors of choice.
Mine so far have been

1- cotton candy
2- smoke bluegill

thanks

foul hook
06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I have several boxes of grubs and jigs. Different brands and colors. I catch more fish on a Jiffy Jig than anything else. I fish it more often , therefore I catch more with it. I believe the color and presentation makes more difference than shape and size. Find one that you like and give it an honest shot. If it dont have some green in it you might be missing out on something good.

slipbobber
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Number 1 for me is "wildcat", smoke glitter, and anything with a chartueuse tail, if you want to make them even better add a spinner to the hook similar to the Whirly Bee.

ready2fish
06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks so far

what i meant by trial and error is I'm just trying to narrow some other choices down to a narrow margin before i end up spending to much, of course it stands true that what works for you might not me and there is always will be some testing

Brush Buster
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
My old standbuy for sliders is Black/chart tail or June bug/Chart tail. I have been trolling a junebug/chart on a 1/8 or 1/16 once chartruse Road Runner all spring with good success. I work in Lawrenceburg Tennessee and that is the one and only place that the Slider is made. Its great becasue we can go over to the factory and look at all of their jigs and plastics. They are great and always willing to give out free samples with each purchase.

BB

ready2fish
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
My old standbuy for sliders is Black/chart tail or June bug/Chart tail. I have been trolling a junebug/chart on a 1/8 or 1/16 once chartruse Road Runner all spring with good success. I work in Lawrence burg Tennessee and that is the one and only place that the Slider is made. Its great because we can go over to the factory and look at all of their jigs and plastics. They are great and always willing to give out free samples with each purchase.

BB

it is better to look and buy in person, i called there place today and asked about a few colors i use and wondered if they changed, she said it was the picture, I also asked her what the number 1 color was that they sold and i would like to see how many her mention it and see if she wasn't just blowing smoke at me

ReelfootYankee
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
it is better to look and buy in person, i called there place today and asked about a few colors i use and wondered if they changed, she said it was the picture, I also asked her what the number 1 color was that they sold and i would like to see how many her mention it and see if she wasn't just blowing smoke at meI would say JUNE BUG If i was to guess but i fish one color and have for years and there is no CHART. in it what so ever and it is my go to and if a spinner is added its all over:).
I think with water clariety/and the body of water you are fishing and all the above its up to the lake and the individual/persistencey and a whole lot more,but for me it works! Just my opp.
What lake do you fish and what are the lake colors on your lake ? Much like bass fishing alot of lakes have lake colors wheather it being for Bass Pan fish,small mouth Northern pike etc...
If i start to fish a new lake i hit up the local bait shop and "pick their brain" and the locals but the main Q is what are the lake colors then that is were i start! Some ask that for the mere purpose of not useing them colors,WHY? becuase everyone else has been useing them for years and something differnt might work!Like i said this is just me good luck friend RFY!!

ready2fish
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I would say JUNE BUG If i was to guess but i fish one color and have for years and there is no CHART. in it what so ever and it is my go to and if a spinner is added its all over:).
I think with water clarity/and the body of water you are fishing and all the above its up to the lake and the individual/persistencey and a whole lot more,but for me it works! Just my opp.
What lake do you fish and what are the lake colors on your lake ? Much like bass fishing allot of lakes have lake colors weather it being for Bass Pan fish,small mouth Northern pike etc...
If i start to fish a new lake i hit up the local bait shop and "pick their brain" and the locals but the main Q is what are the lake colors then that is were i start! Some ask that for the mere purpose of not using them colors,WHY? because everyone else has been using them for years and something different might work!Like i said this is just me good luck friend RFY!!

junebug has been mentioned now twice and thats what she said.

For the later part of your reply i understand threre are many factors and thats why i asked for a couple of go to first choice colors

good reply
thanks

Uncle BS
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
It really depends on the time of year. In the spring I too like junebug/chart., bubble gum/chart, black/chart, sourgrape,& Tenn. shad.

Redy2Fish
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
White w/chartreuse tail, JDG, black w/chartreuse tail. Just be sure to fish it slow, the crappie will do the rest!

ready2fish
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
White w/chartreuse tail, JDG, black w/chartreuse tail. Just be sure to fish it slow, the crappie will do the rest!

you know for the past year since i been using sliders i also found the secret was a slow retrieve , when i troll i always have my speed set correct

good point

Redy2Fish
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
My favorite grub is a white with chartreuse tail Southern Pro Triple tail, anything in this color combination works great where I fish. The other day I put my last 3X tail on and my fishin' buddy pilled out a package of white with chartreuse tail Sliders. I put one on and it worked just as well. Fished it th same way, slow, they hit it the same way as they hit the 3X tails. The Sliders are quite a bit softer and don't seem to hold up as well as the Southern Pro and other soft bodies. I don't do a lot of trolling, love to cast jigs, so, I do a lot of line watching. Works for me, catching quite a few down here!

redear
06-02-2009, 12:49 AM
my favorite is the black body with a whitish color glow tail. I used to put this on a northern tackle jig spinner jighead in chart. or orange, and it would catch anything, including big shellcrackers. they changed that jig spinner tho and now it doesn't work for me on that head. the baby bass color I have tried too and it also gets alot of strikes in clearer water. grizzly jig has the best selection of colors.

smashdn
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
tennessee shad - very natural for clear water
black with chartreuse tail - most all other conditions

Nine times out of ten I catch them on one of those colors. You didn't ask for a third favorite but it is junebug with a chartreuse tail.

I fish them all on the weedless crappie slider head. Black was my favorite color head but i can't find it ever in any stores, so now i use chartreuse 1/8 oz. I fish them steady retrieve slow. Just fast enough to make the tail wiggle.

Opie1
06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
My favorite slider is the white grub w/ blue tail.

Where did you buy these in Michigan? I found them in a baitshop in Tavares Florida and I am almost out.

I caught and landed a 25lb flathead on the blue and white slider with a 1/16oz jig while walleye fishing in early May this year.

ready2fish
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
My favorite slider is the white grub w/ blue tail.

Where did you buy these in Michigan? I found them in a baitshop in Tavares Florida and I am almost out.

I caught and landed a 25lb flathead on the blue and white slider with a 1/16oz jig while walleye fishing in early May this year.

d&r sport center in Kalamazoo, its owned by Randy Van Dam - pro bass fisherman

Every time i go by ther its a must stop, they have a very nice selection of all sporting goods

bama7x57
06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
junebug with a chartreuse tail is our favorite color

bc1448
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
When I use Sliders I use the black/chart. tail or the junebug/chart. tail... These two colors work the best for me. Sliders used to be the only type jig that I used but I have started using Klain's the past couple years and I have had a lot better luck trolling with them than I did with the sliders but that is just my opinion...
Blake

ready2fish
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
When I use Sliders I use the black/chart. tail or the junebug/chart. tail... These two colors work the best for me. Sliders used to be the only type jig that I used but I have started using Klain's the past couple years and I have had a lot better luck trolling with them than I did with the sliders but that is just my opinion...
Blake

I'm interested in what and why it worked better ?

i do know after using them now for a while that they are soft and tear easily

thanks

bc1448
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I tend to have my best luck trolling between 0.95-1.05 MPH... The Kalin's Triple Threat grub has a lot more action that the sliders. I have had my best luck on John Deere green, blue & silver, black & silver, and popsicle... Trolloing around 1 MPH if I am using a slider I have started tipping it with a minnow and have noticed a big difference in my catch rate.
Blake

coastal bend
06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
The three that I like are black chartreuse, junebug and the blue ice. This spring the junebug wroked good in the back of creeks where the water was a little off color. the blue ice was better in the clear water. Red chartreuse is good to. When I buy now those are the colors I get. I really like the blue ice.

abarkley
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
blue ice/ chartreuse
junebug/chartreuse

slabbandit
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
My favorite is a Junebug/Chart. tail with a Red 1/8 oz. slider head rigged weedless.:)

ready2fish
06-07-2009, 07:43 AM
got to the store yesterday and stocked up on some more sliders, they had the junebug ones so i picked up a bag to try, hope they work well up north here in the lakes i fish

macon123
06-08-2009, 06:53 AM
motor oil with orange tail works wonders at times

yankee doodler
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Now I know what your "secret" is Jim.

tenncrappie
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Blue/Chart and Chart/Glitter

yankee doodler
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
got to the store yesterday and stocked up on some more sliders, they had the junebug ones so i picked up a bag to try, hope they work well up north here in the lakes i fish

Got on the web and went to Charlie Brewers site and did a search for dealers in Michigan. Shows 0. Was trying to see if there was a dealer closer than D&R. Guess can't trust their dealer listing.

ready2fish
06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Got on the web and went to Charlie Brewers site and did a search for dealers in Michigan. Shows 0. Was trying to see if there was a dealer closer than D&R. Guess can't trust their dealer listing.

Don,

i always look every place around here i go and the only place as you said is d&r, you could go her and order

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company Inc. - 1-800-762-4701; 931-762-4700 (http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/Details.tmpl?ID=95686825145080&Cart=1224983377130168751)

Bass pro Carry's them but i believe the selection is limited

possumcop
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I know Mr. Brewer personally and I have fished with him. As far as I know every jig he makes is a good one. I have caught fish on multiple colors of his. The best thing you can do is buy his big jig package that he sells and you have all the good colors. I am on his pro staff and will help Mr. Brewer any way I can. He is a super nice guy all the way around.

ReelfootYankee
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
d&r sport center in Kalamazoo, its owned by Randy Van Dam - pro bass fisherman

Every time i go by ther its a must stop, they have a very nice selection of all sporting goodsI was up there a several mo. ago poor old mom passed:(:(:(:(:(, i sure miss her dearley but i had a chance to buy my bud west tenn a keven v d. shirt ! I grew up their hunting most younger years!
Got 20 acre's 4 "S" prime deer turkey fish bout 15 mins away! Shoot me a P

jeepguyjames
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I found some made by yum at the local wally world (wal-mart) that looked just like the Charlie brewers, only bought 1 package just cause I wasn't sure how they would do. The were a whole 97 cents. They swim good and I have caught some decent slabs with them on a road runner head. I have purchased more of them after my initial trail of them. Just my experience, God bless.