Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: capps and coleman rig questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default capps and coleman rig questions

Kinda liking this slow-trolling/spider-rigging business. Really like the coleman rig, however, i have had massive troubles keeping it from twisting up, either the top or the bottom lead getting tangled. Only been running them 6-12FOW, and normally .01-.03MPH.

So is this normal(i would expect it to tangle once in awhile, but not twist up), maybe im tying it wrong, would this happen if either of the leads were to long? Could my weight be to heavy or to light? I usually like to use high quality swivels, but i cant find any better quality 3-ways other than the normal brass ones, im using a size 6.

Any insight here guys, rather scary how many fish im catching fishing like this, just hoping to eliminate some problems now.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Only problem I have with tangling, is when a fish, usually catfish or white bass, hits one of the baits really hard and doesn't get hooked. Comes up in a wad of twists and knots.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I know there are as many rigs as there are ways to fish them and there is no doubt the capps and coleman rig will catch fish...but...I use only one hook per rig just because of the very reason you mentioned....

IMO when I'm watchin 10-12 poles.... the less I have to untangle.... the more I can have my baits in the water....where the fish are...in the water....but that is just my personal preference...

I also notice when I try using a double hook rig that when I catch a fish on the bottom minnow and lift the fish out of the water....the fish will thrash and throw the top hook minnow off wasting even more of my "bait in the water time"....of course jigs would eliminate that problem but I like minnows better...again a personal preference....

www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Default C/C Riggs

This is what I do..I don't use the 3 way swivels at all. I just tie a short leader in the main line with a over hand knot about as long as your index finger with
    a hook or jig.
    It won't get tangled at all, and works just fine catching crappie.
    The 3 way swivel deal to me is a waste of money and time, the way I just told you will do the same job with less hassle and saves money.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

C Cowboy, you're right to some extent. But I have lots of free time working shifts at the fire dept. I tie lots of rigs and wrap them around a piece of foam noodle. When I want to change to a different bait setup, I can just open a snap swivel on my line and hook into the three way. Lots easier and faster than tying leaders while trying to fish.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do any slow trolling so I don't have any personal experience with it. However, when I was working the Grizzly Jig Co. spring tackle show I got a chance to listen to Steve and Ronnie's seminar. They spoke at length about their new rigs sold through BnM - BNM Fishing and they did say the placement of the weight and the length of the leaders was key.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The following pic gives you the exact recommended distances from Capps & Coleman as quoted in Tim Huffman's book "Winning Crappie Secrets".

I do have problems with my top jig (usually put minnow on bottom) tangling around the swivel. I've gone to a higher test line with hopes that the stiffer line will tangle less. Nothing like catching two crappie at the same time with this rig.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default C/C Rigg

Quote Originally Posted by Filletfrier View Post
    C Cowboy, you're right to some extent. But I have lots of free time working shifts at the fire dept. I tie lots of rigs and wrap them around a piece of foam noodle. When I want to change to a different bait setup, I can just open a snap swivel on my line and hook into the three way. Lots easier and faster than tying leaders while trying to fish.
    Yea I do that to but, without the 3 way swivel. I also tie 'em with the jig already on ready to go.
    Filletfrier one of these days I'm gonna stop by the station and meet ya, my daughter lives just east of town there, I go by the new fire house often.

Good Fishing Filletfrier...............crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

I use 15# test Ande to tie my rigs, have no problems with line twist.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

If you speed upp a little, it might help keep the top line out of the main line, and prevent tangles. My opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast