Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A question for those pulling crank baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question for those pulling crank baits.

I'm considering getting a new boat and since I enjoy pulling crank baits I'd like to continue doing so. For those that are pulling them, do you have a tiller or center console? I don't see how I could pull by myself with a center console so I'm leaning towards a tiller motor. (which is what I currently have) Anyone pulling them with a center console? If so, can you manage by yourself?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping JWhite woulda hopped on this one. I consider him our Resident Crank Pro. As for Tiller vs. Center Console? Billbob trolls alot of cranks and he has a tiller on his boat, but I don't know whether he uses his gas motor or trolling motor for it. I have a Tiller, (Billbobs old motor) and I sit in the back using my 55AP MinnKota to troll my baits. I never turn it off unless I get hung up and need to turn around. I can sit in the front seat, or back seat to troll at speeds of 1.7 to 2.0.

I just started trolling for cranks within the last month and have been using Bandit 200's and will switch to 300's once the water temp gets to 80 degrees. I have been using tandem 1/8oz jigs and Roadrunners with weights on my lead rods, and a couple of cranks on the next two rods, one rod being a 10' and the other a 6' for separation. So far, the jigs have caught the crappie vs. the cranks, 10 to 1 hands down.

Tiller vs. Center console.

A Tiller boat gives a lot of room for the rest of the boat making it easier to walk around and have quick access to things.
    The downside is it needs to be manned constantly.

Center Consoles are great in my mind and still allow access to both sides of the boat, a hands free operation when needed, but at times creates an obstacle to get around when needing to get from back to front or vice versa fast. Most do however have a windshield which is a big plus during cold mornings.

I guess that in the end, it should be a personal preference on the style you prefer.

I know that when I place my foot control in the back, I don't even need the front seat in the boat and most everything is within reach. If I decide to change locations that aren't that far away, I won't even pull in the TM. I'll fire up the 60hp and ease over to the next bank I am going to troll. This way, I can leave my poles in the rod holders while underway, and re-deploy once I shut the big motor down.

Keep us posted on your progress!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I pull off the rear of a 20' pontoon. I like it because you can get under the bimini top out of the sun. The hotter it get the better the bite here in Arkansas.:D Also gives you plenty of room.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I troll with cranks from the first of May until ice up and do it with a tiller. A tiller will be more responsive when you are following a contour. If your just open water fishing and not paying attention to whats under the boat, such as a large flats, than go with the center console.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had tiller boats since I been doing this, but thought real serious
    about a center console bay boat last time I traded.
    As long as you're steering with a powerdrive, autopilot whatever on the
    front I reckon either one of 'em ought to work.

If you're using the gas motor to steer, I'm not sure what would work best.
    I used to bump the tiller with my knee to steer when things got busy
    on my old boat, but use the ap trollin motor and a remote now.
    I steer with the electric and set the speed, do most of the pushin with an
    8 horse gas motor on the back.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lancer Crappie Boat

Check out center console Lancer!

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bay Boat

Quote Originally Posted by J White View Post
    I've always had tiller boats since I been doing this, but thought real serious
    about a center console bay boat last time I traded.
    As long as you're steering with a powerdrive, autopilot whatever on the
    front I reckon either one of 'em ought to work.

If you're using the gas motor to steer, I'm not sure what would work best.
    I used to bump the tiller with my knee to steer when things got busy
    on my old boat, but use the ap trollin motor and a remote now.
    I steer with the electric and set the speed, do most of the pushin with an
    8 horse gas motor on the back.
    Jeff I met a really nice couple this weekend at Sardis that had a center console bay boat and man that thing was sweet. How hard is it to handle a deep V boat when fishing by yourself? I don't care much for getting my feet wet when loading or unloading in areas without a dock especially when its cold. You could use their boat to troll for Walleye, Stripers and Crappie without compromising on anything.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers