Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: artificial minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default artificial minnows

anyone ever tried those Berkley Gulp Minnows that come in little buckets? cost about $20 per bucket which has about 20 pieces.

This year especially, grubs have outfished minnows for me, and i don't want to buy minners if i don't have to but, because of my father, i am kinda married to minnows. slowly breaking that habit.

i have tried some Uncle Josh's minnows in a little jar and never caught anything, even when minnows were HOT.

looking forward to hearing what you all have tried and what works and what does not work.
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

Camo,

I Have Never Tried Them But I Have Always Wanted To Try Them. Bp Was Out Of Them This Spring When I Was Stocking Up. I Am Like You I Keep Minnows For My Wife. So I Just Got A Stock Tank Put It In The Back Yard And I Now Buy My Minnows By The Pound Instead Of By The Dozen. I Did Pickup A Storm Lure The Other Day At Wally World. Its Called Wildeye Live Minnow And It Is The Closest Thing To A Live Minnow Besides Berkley Gulp That I Have Seen Yet. I Have Not Had A Chance To Try It Yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught crappie fishing with them on a dropshot rig. Jared has tipped 3" jigs with them in the Summer and caught some nice fish. That's about all I can tell you. Try them....you might like them.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had the ones in the bags. A little cheaper than the ones in the bucket. But I think the bucket would be handy to dip other jigs in. I have never used them just on a hook or a plain jig. Always tipped them behind a tube or slab slayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    I just had the ones in the bags. A little cheaper than the ones in the bucket. But I think the bucket would be handy to dip other jigs in. I have never used them just on a hook or a plain jig. Always tipped them behind a tube or slab slayer.
    I'm not familiar with them, what is in the bucket a scented liquid?
    I have some of the wild eye minnows that dmw mentioned, I tried them this winter, casting and retrieving and tried slowly vertically jigging them up and down, they sure wiggled like a real minnow, but I never caught anything with them. I will try them again where I have caught fish on real minnows.
    And another note on the real minnows. I caught 8 decent fish today with jigs in about 45 minutes and all of the people fishing with minnows were having little or no luck
    Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried the Berkley Gulp Minnow, but they do look good. But I just came off the lake-- had good luck with catching white bass and a few hybrids late last week.--crappies are tough right now at least for me. Anyway, I had some Storm Wildeye Swim Shad that I had never tried before in my box, so I tried them and caught several 17 to 19 inch hybrids. The ones I caught really nailed this bait, so think I will start using them.

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck