Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do you find the bed's

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you find the bed's

i can find the fish in the summer but not the spring time. what is the best way to find the spots where the crappie make their nest for bedding?
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

There are may factors that can affect this. Knowing the lake, the cover, ect. helps a lot. When all else fails, I look for a bank full of about quarter size or smaller rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

When the water temp. reaches around 52 degrees look for a area that is about 2 to 3 foot deep,the crappie should be in the process of moving up in the shallows for their annual spawing run.Down here in Bama we also look for a area that has either small rocks or mussel shells,that is where you will find the beds and the crappie will be nearby or on them depending on the water conditions.
    Hope this helps.
    Wishing ya`ll hard strikes and heavy stringers and slay those slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default The bottom will tell ya in the shallows.

As was said, look for small rock or sand in the shallows. You won't find many nesting in any muddy areas. If the water is a bit murky, you can use a pole or look for a thin bottom line on the finder. A wide bottom line means soft, muddy bottom, while a thin line means hard rock or sand bottom.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Don't know about the other states waters ....

Quote Originally Posted by fish-wva View Post
    i can find the fish in the summer but not the spring time. what is the best way to find the spots where the crappie make their nest for bedding?
    ... but, for Ky - Tn - Ala lakes that I've fished ... I look for "WOOD" more than bottom composition. Nothing more than a branch or two, submerged and lying on the bottom, can be a big drawing factor to a bedding Crappie.

The bank should be sheltered from strong currents & wind. White Crappie prefer wood, and Black Crappie prefer weeds ... but, either/both will make use of whatever cover is available, if their preferred cover isn't. Case in point ... I've known Crappie to spawn in standing tree branch V's, and even on outboard motor fins.
    Pea gravel banks are good spots to try, as well.

Here's an In-Fisherman article, that may also provide some insight : Finding Crappies Fast | In-Fisherman

... luck2ya ... cp