Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie "After Dark" During Spawn!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie "After Dark" During Spawn!!

Do crappie remain in the shallows after dark during the spawn and can they be caught?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For nightstalking during the spawn I set up in the 15' depth and fish 2' to 6' deep.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

During the heat of the spawn I do believe the male will stay on the bed to protect it as long as necessary (over night) if his offspring have not turned to fry and left the bed. The reason I believe this to be so is you can go out just before first light (still almost dark) to a known spot where crappie are bedding, pitch a jig and catch them. Catching during the night hours, I don't know. I do know if you can see a bedding male, he can see you and won't bite. Pitch a jig right over his bed and he'll just push it off with his nose. Go back the next day and stay way back. Pitch a jig or minnow under a cork over the bed and he might hammer it.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I regularily fish Lake Guntersville in Bama at night using glo sticks on our floats so we can see the strikes and have done quite well in fact my best catch so far this year come at 2 to 5 am. in late march of this year when me and a friend both got our limit which here in bama is 30 fish apiece.
    Last edited by sommfshmn; 05-29-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    Wishing ya`ll hard strikes and heavy stringers and slay those slabs