Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramp close to Talala Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ramp close to Talala Creek

Crappie Reaper,

I met you Sunday afternoon in Talala Creek. My wife and I were in the Triton. What is the closest ramp to Talala Creek besides the one in the creek. The dust all over my boat from the gravel road was too much. I don't mind a run across the lake to get to the creek. We ended up with 8 nice keepers. Thanks for all the tips on Talala Creek. I will be back early Tuesday Morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the nearest ramp would be right there by the wiganon bridge or spencer creek across the way but be very careful that lake up that way is very dangerous and I know what ya mean it was hard to swallow putting a high dollar boat in right in the creek . How did you catch the fish jigging trees?? and what is the water clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Closest Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Hef
    Crappie Reaper,

I met you Sunday afternoon in Talala Creek. My wife and I were in the Triton. What is the closest ramp to Talala Creek besides the one in the creek. The dust all over my boat from the gravel road was too much. I don't mind a run across the lake to get to the creek. We ended up with 8 nice keepers. Thanks for all the tips on Talala Creek. I will be back early Tuesday Morning.
    Spencer Creek is right across the lake. Or, you can go to sunnyside ramp which is just North of Goose Island. It's not the best ramp on a windy day. I think Sunnyside is all the way East on Road 340. You will see a couple of trees in the middle of the lake just NE of Goose Island. Man and wife fishing Talala yesterday said they have been catching some nice size fish off those in about 20' of water. They just covered that road last week going to Talala Creek. It was blacktop before they laid the chat on it. Give it a month, and it will not be dusty at all. Wigganon ramp is on the east side of the lake just north of Wigganon bridge. You can put in there as well, and come back under the bridge to Talala Creek. Once again, not a good ramp if wind is out of the W, or North. Your best bet might be Spencer, as it is more popular, and blacktop all the way. Sunnyside and Wigganon have gravel parkiing, and gravel roads leading to them. Don't ever put in at Double Creek cove outside of Nowata. It is very shallow, submerged stumps everywhere, and a long way to deeper water. I tried it once with the water up and still had to be very careful. I had gone at least 1.5 miles very slow, then decided to turn around, and go to another ramp. Would be a good area during early spawn, but, caution is well advised.
    http://www.lasr.net/pages/lake.php?L...k005&ShowMap=Y
    Sunnside is blacktop all the way to the park itself. The park has gravel roads and is not very big. Matter of fact, all sunnyside has is a ramp. Look at the link to the map, and you will see how close it is to Talala Creek.
    http://fishingoklahoma.com/corpmaps.htm
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few things to take care of Tuesday Morning, but, will probably fish as well. I have been wanting to check out the area north of wigganon bridge for sometime, but just don't want to waste the fuel to go "exploring".

Post Thanks / Like

BG, the water clarity is not clear, but not murky either. There is a slight flow as they are releasing water from the dam. The lake is currently around 5' high. I have been catching fish in 3 spots only consistently in the trees. I have been in the shallows, and the deep trees. I have only caught fish in trees fairly close to the creek channel. I have also found some schooling crappie off the points closer to the main lake. Found a nice hump too in 21' of water that comes up within 10' of surface. I think it's a huge boulder that fell off the bluff in the past. But, crappie are there. The biggest fish I have caught this summer has only been about 1.5lbs. I am still searching for the bigger fish, and have found many places that will stock the freezer. I am wondering if the amount of huge fish I kept during the spawn has depleted the area. Alot of people fish Talala during the spawn and it's hard to find a spot to park. You will see 30+ boats anchored along the main creek channel in the spring. I doodlesock the timber and rip them smooth up.
    By the way BG, when you gonna make it up this way?
    Doesn't look like I am joining Cast this year, as finanaces are not going to allow it. Priorities bite.
    Reaper

Post Thanks / Like

Is it easy to launch at Redbud Bay. Do you think it would be a good option. How long would it take to get to Talala Creek running 65mph from Redbud Bay. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring alot of gas, RedBud, Hawthorne is around 9-10 miles south of Talala Creek. You would have to go past Goose Island, watch out for the trees/Stumps that can be in 20' of water out in the middle of the lake. You will come across many really shallow dangerous areas making a run like that. With the lake being up right now, that is going to add to certain dangers. Some trees that are normally visible, are lurking just below the surface now. There are a couple like that at the Mouth of Talala creek at the main lake. In 25' of water!
    Personally, I would rather drive the new chat road and drive a bit slower. Car wash for dust purposes offset the cost of fuel quite a bit. Rogers county may be in the process of reworking other lake roads in the area. I do not know.
    Regardless, it's a long trip from the dam area to Talala Creek.
    Think about launching at Spencer Creek. It is right across the lake, and has alot of standing timber. Not as much as Talala does, but, might make it easier to come across a few more fish. Spencer Creek is a good park.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good info, it has really been helpful. Coming from Tulsa what is the best way to get to Spencer Creek. Have a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Print this map, rotate it first to get N to the top. Looks like you would take Hwy 66 out of Claremore to Foyil. Then head N on NS422, then left (w) on EW35. I keep a copy of this map in my tackle box. But, am about to learn the lake good enough. Spencer Creek is another excellent spawn area, along with Blue Creek.
    Good luck, maybe if I go out, I might see you and share reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast