Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Road Runner Jig Heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Runner Jig Heads?

Hey, I've got a question for you guys. I was fishing this past weekend and thought the way the fish were acting something with a little flash might work. So, I got into my box for some road runners. But when I pulled them out, the paint was all gooie. It had turned to a kind of paste about the consistancy of the paste that comes out when you use a bait pump. I've had these jigheads for about a year and they have been kept in a plano box. Have any of the rest of you had this problem with Road Runners?
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepastor View Post
    Hey, I've got a question for you guys. I was fishing this past weekend and thought the way the fish were acting something with a little flash might work. So, I got into my box for some road runners. But when I pulled them out, the paint was all gooie. It had turned to a kind of paste about the consistancy of the paste that comes out when you use a bait pump. I've had these jigheads for about a year and they have been kept in a plano box. Have any of the rest of you had this problem with Road Runners?
    I have had trouble with the paint chipping off and had trouble with other jig heads that either have soft plastic on them or in the same compartment.

I don't have that trouble with my hand tied Roadrunners because I don't use soft plastic.

Anytime you have painted heads and soft plastic combined they will do that.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like no epoxy coating was put on them to counteract plastics. I've seen melted paint before it ain't pretty. I'd say try and scrape all the gook off them and then clean well and repaint then coat with epoxy - or powder paint them.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still like to find rrs in a weedless variety. That way, it would be barrrlllyyy perfect.

aj

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Arkie ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    I'd still like to find rrs in a weedless variety. That way, it would be barrrlllyyy perfect.

aj
    Give Grousefly a shout ... he may be able to fix you up.

If not, you can check out this place : http://www.hooksolutions.com/sitebui...2009retail.pdf
    (page 21-22)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I have had trouble with the paint chipping off and had trouble with other jig heads that either have soft plastic on them or in the same compartment.

I don't have that trouble with my hand tied Roadrunners because I don't use soft plastic.

Anytime you have painted heads and soft plastic combined they will do that.

Skip
    Skip,
    I didn't know that the plastics and the paint would react, but it sounds like that is exactly what has happened. It sure is a mess and you would think Blakemore would do something about it That darn gooie paint is hard to get off. Thanks for the info.
    Ted
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Post Thanks / Like

The additive put in soft plastics to keep them soft eats up paint as well as many other types of rubber.

Ask a bass fisherman what happens to his spinnerbait box if he ever leaves a soft plastic trailer on anything but baits with silicone skirts for a few months. Even at that, they dissolve the rubber band that holds the skirt together and on the bait.

The stuff will eat just about any kind of plastic or paint that is not specifically formulated to resist it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that has happened to me when I stored some RR heads with plastic bodies still on them,never had a problem when stored alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, CP. I'll be following up on these.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Give Grousefly a shout ... he may be able to fix you up.

If not, you can check out this place : http://www.hooksolutions.com/sitebui...2009retail.pdf
    (page 21-22)

... cp
    I may be in LUCK after all.

Thanks so much!

aj