Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: help please........

Post Thanks / Like

Default help please........

I need some help here. I am really wanting to get into the bass fishing thing when the crappie fishing is slow, but I am having a little difficulty. I subscribe and read cover to cover, the bassmaster and this website fully.
    I am wanting to start using plastics (worms & lizards) but have yet to "learn" how, when, where, etc.
    For instance:
    We have had a lot of rain lately and the lake I usually fish has risen abou2 feet, which has pushed to water into the shoreline brush, and made the buckbrush in about 2 feet of water which is normally less than 5 inches. The water was stained, but not muddy, just deeper.
    As I pull up to unload the boat, I can see small shad/minnows jumping like the fish are being chased. So I unload, tie on a white spinnerbait and begin to cast in and around cover and I see one fish following the bait to the boat but no takers, so I tie on a char. SB and try again....no takers., tie on a blk/blu jig w/ blk/blu crawfish trailer and "try" that (of course no idea exactly "how" to jig fish, and of course nothing.
    get to a point, throw a crankbait, and actually catch a crappie. by this time the knats are carrying me off and decide to leave.

MY QUESTION-
    In these conditions what would you have started with.If you use worms/lizards when and how do you use them.
    Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post, just a little frustrated.
    Tom
    Last edited by tommyboyrn; 05-26-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: more info

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. I am in the same situation as you are. I normally fish for crappie also but like to look at bass during the off season. I thing that I have had luck on is hitting some of the same structure that I hit during crappie season. I took an old lake map the originally had fish attractors marked but are no longer mapped on todays maps. You would be surprised at how many people just go right over or around this deeper structure. I took and entire day this year and did no fishing. All I did was drove my boat to each of these areas and looked for this structure that was marked 15 years earlier and they all had structure still there. I marked each spot as a waypoint and go directly to these spots each time I fish for crappie or bass. The main lake I do this on has tons of standing timber where most fisherman focus on but the structure I am talking about appears to be tires or old brushpiles of some sort. Not really sure what it is after all these years but some do appear to be brushpiles. I had one in paticular that I fished this year that had three seperate attractors in about a 100 yard area. I tore it up all year on the crappie. This was actualy on the main lake and not in a creek or bay. It makes life so much easier knowing that I am going to hit these 18 spots every time I go to the lake. I troll, cast or anchor on these spots and if they are there I stay. If I get no takers in a short time, I go to the next spot. A lot of these spots are in 20 of water and they hold the bass. I especially like the ones that are right up next to a deep channel. I use my crappie knowledge to nail these bass. I run deep diving crankbaits and love to cast a 3 inch tube jig. The fish will be there and you just have to get them to hit. If they don't, go to the next spot. I am from KY so I am used to the hot weather you get in AR so you might look at getting a black light and hitting the water at night. There is nothing like it and you can use your typical bank techniques for this because they are moving up in the shallows at night to feed on minnows. Hit the banks and points near deep channels. There is nothing more peaceful then fishing at night. After you do this for a few hours hang your lanterns and drop a couple green lights over this same structure and catch some crappie. I know I didn't answer your question but I hope it helps.
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jigboy for the info. I plan on sinking more attractors soon for crappie, maybe bass as well.
    Thanks again
    tom

William James

Post Thanks / Like

wow bump on that note! You have your time into it thats for sure!
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

What I have found is that if you have fish following a spinerbait or short striking it or a buzzbait Pick up a texas rig worm and throw it back in the same area a lot of the time they will hit it. I do this a lot with buzzbaits . I like to throw a texas rig around docks and around riprap if I am fishing points or humps I like to use a carolina rig lizard

Post Thanks / Like

thanks jroz
    I just picked up my second baitcaster so I dont have to tie & retie my lures. Will try your advice.
    Thanks
    Tom

William James

Post Thanks / Like

You might try a soft plastic jerk bait with no weight. Retrieve with soft short jerks and let it sink into any hole in the grass. this works great in the mornings and evenings in the shallow grass. Location and presentation is everything. Color next.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,
    went today to try the bass fishing out and even left my crappie rods at home where I could "concentrate" on the bass thing.
    Lined up a watermelon w/red flake lizard and away I went. Within 30 minutes fish on......a 1lb 15oz LMB YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
    By far the biggest bass Ive ever caught and even more impressed that I caught it on a soft plastic. I went on to catch 6 more fish total with only 3 more keepers all with the watermelon lizard, no bites on other colors.
    Sorry no pics, the wife was angry I stayed gone too long and I didnt want to provoke anything. Thanks all for the information and help

Overall good day, it was hot and fun on the water.
    Tom

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Tom,bass fishing can be YIPPPEEEEEEeee and GOOOOSSSSHHHH DANNNG

You'd even be more impressed with bass fishing if you learn how to use a buzzbait and topwater popper.The action is more impressive to see a bass blowup on a buzz or top water bait.To see the blow up and the sound it makes plus the splash looks as tho someone throwed a spare tire in.The blood rush that comes with surface lures is dang never heart stopping lol.
    Hardly ever bass fish anymore(catch enough while crappie fishing) but did for years,Bottom fishing for bass(plactic) to me is more relaxed.Topwater is more like setting on the edge of the seat b/c its so scarey.