Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Lake Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Lake Help?

I am fairly new to salt-water fishing and I am looking for a little help for fishing Big Lake. I have been a couple times this year with some friends and caught a few reds and specks. Now these friends I went fishing with had bigger boats and were able to run good distances in a short amount of time.

I am just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a few good areas to fish around Heberts landing that aren't to far away from the landing. I will probably be in a smaller aluminum boat and I don't really want to have to run to far from the launch. I am mostly looking to catch reds.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    - McNeese State Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

McNeese89,
    Welcome to the site !
    I can't help you on spots on Big Lake as I am mostly an Atchafalaya Basin fisherman.
    Some of the guys from over that way will chime in and help you out, I am sure.
    1perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1perchjerker.

Maybe instead of giving me a "spot" maybe a few good tips on some ways to fish around that area, that would help me catch some more fish.
    - McNeese State Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese89 View Post
    Thanks 1perchjerker.

Maybe instead of giving me a "spot" maybe a few good tips on some ways to fish around that area, that would help me catch some more fish.
    Shadow (Dwyane) may be one of your best bets for information on that. He's down near you and fishes there. Welcome to the LA Board!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Hey McNees89, welcome to the board! Glad to have you with us. We are having a salt water get together the 4th of July weekend and that would be you best "hands on" experience with this area. As for areas that aren't rough, well that is a tough one b/c as you know it can get rough in a hurry! The closest area by Hebert's would be commisary (sp) point. Some of the better areas are along the east bank where the wiers are. Just follow the east bank and you will hit the wiers. The 1st one is a good one to fish, the 2nd one is shallow, the 3rd one is Grand Bayou, and the 4th one is Lambert's bayou and is closer to the south end. I would recommend the 1,3rd and 4th. You can run through Grand Bayou and fish the marsh on the back side also. Comm. point is definetely the closest to Heberts. I have fished all of these areas out of a 14 ft. allum. boat before, but that was when I was younger!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the advice shadow! You know how it is when you are in college, unless I am going with my dad or friends, I just have to go out in a small boat, but it is definitely worth it!

I have actually fished around commisary point and caught a few, but I will definitely try going down to some of the other weirs.

Thanks again! :D
    - McNeese State Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

We have caught some reds around the docks just south of herberts before,,using shrimp and popping cork. They where jus legal,,but hey it worked. I mean 16- 19 inch red taste great!!
    DuBroc "Lily pads, grass, mud,stumps,5 ft beaver dams, you better hold on! "