Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 200 HP Merc vs 225 HP Merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default 200 HP Merc vs 225 HP Merc

I can not believe the gas consumption difference in my Skeeter with the 200 compared to the Procraft with the 225. I know all the differences between the two boats but in 2 trips with long runs I have used less than a 1/4 tank of gas in the Skeeter. I would have used 3/4 to full tank in the Procraft. That Procraft 225 combination was a gas hog!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great

That's a good thing because I'm looking forward to fishing out of that boat someday with you...........................and I won't feel so guilty about not pitching in on gas money. :D:D:D
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you get the prop figured out? That should help the gas savings also. You are going to find lots of things you will like better between the two boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stupid Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Did you get the prop figured out? That should help the gas savings also. You are going to find lots of things you will like better between the two boats.
    OK SO HOW MUCH WILL A PROP AFFECT GAS SAVINGS? SHOULD I LOOK AT UPGRADING MY PROP ON MY 50 HP MERC?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what RPM you are running at full throttle. Should not make much differance on your 50. He was having trouble getting his on plane at camp. Which will eat extra gas puching the boat against the water instead of on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WantinCrappie View Post
    That's a good thing because I'm looking forward to fishing out of that boat someday with you...........................and I won't feel so guilty about not pitching in on gas money. :D:D:D
    Anytime and I will gladly provide the gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what RPM you are running at full throttle. Should not make much differance on your 50. He was having trouble getting his on plane at camp. Which will eat extra gas puching the boat against the water instead of on top of it.
    I RUN ABOUT 5,000 AT FULL THROTTLE. I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF BURNING MORE GAS NOT BEING ABLE TO GET UP ON PLANE. ITS KIND OF LIKE PUSHING A 4X8 SHEET OF PLYWOOD SIDEWAYS IN THE WATER! AND ITS HARD TO SEE OVER THE FRONT OF THE BOAT TOO! THANKS FOR EXPLAINING TO A GRASSHOPPER!

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly but it is getting better, I have a 23 4 blade trophy on it right now and it will plane but I have to watch the top end not to over rev it. I also have lowered the jack plate twice and it is better but the motor was way high. The Skeeter rep told me it should be 2.5 to 3 inches below pad and mine was 2.5 above pad. Should have it dialed in before long and I am going to get a 24 pitch prop and try it.

Hope to pick up my double front seat set up next Saturday and the spider rigging poles and rod holders. I am loving the size of the front deck!