Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reality Check

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reality Check

Lot's of talk about gas prices and curtailing fishing trips, just wondering about folks spending habits. In the past month I've spent $105 on downrigger swivel bases, $76 on rodholders, and a spare prop at $140. Am I going to sit home because it will cost me another $20 for a fishing trip? Heck no, I ain't gonna like it, but I'm gonna do it. Now I don't normally spend that much on boating equipment, but there were deals to be had and I took advantage of it. Personally the wife and I don't spend alot over and above essentials. If we go out to eat, it's usually for lunch, lunch menu's are much cheaper. I always carry my lunch to work, and never stop and buy coffee or donuts on the way in. I buy maybe 3 cases of beer a year, and normally drink water verses soda other store bought drinks. I think if everyone evaluates their spending habits, they can easily come up with the extra money for fishing trip gas purchases. I saw a news clip with a woman complaining about the price of gas, she had a cigarette in one hand, and bottled water in the other. I sure don't like the way the gas prices have gone, but I'm not going to dwell on it anymore, I'm going fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to make a trip yesterday for Central Illinois to North Michigan (somebody elese's expense). In Michigan (arround Mildand, MI) prices were dropping form $3.50 to $2.99. Maybe the oil companies are deciding that not a good idea to gouge the American folks.

Personally I'm being a little more selective about trips I make. Both the wife & I have started riding bikes for some little trips here in town. Healthier besides saving on gas.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Lot's of talk about gas prices and curtailing fishing trips, just wondering about folks spending habits. In the past month I've spent $105 on downrigger swivel bases, $76 on rodholders, and a spare prop at $140. Am I going to sit home because it will cost me another $20 for a fishing trip? Heck no, I ain't gonna like it, but I'm gonna do it. Now I don't normally spend that much on boating equipment, but there were deals to be had and I took advantage of it. Personally the wife and I don't spend alot over and above essentials. If we go out to eat, it's usually for lunch, lunch menu's are much cheaper. I always carry my lunch to work, and never stop and buy coffee or donuts on the way in. I buy maybe 3 cases of beer a year, and normally drink water verses soda other store bought drinks. I think if everyone evaluates their spending habits, they can easily come up with the extra money for fishing trip gas purchases. I saw a news clip with a woman complaining about the price of gas, she had a cigarette in one hand, and bottled water in the other. I sure don't like the way the gas prices have gone, but I'm not going to dwell on it anymore, I'm going fishing.
    It is not just a few dollars more for the fishing trip. It is about double what it cost one year ago. When gas goes up the price we pay for everything goes up. Yes I am worried about these gas prices hurting sales of my employer. I work for Briggs & Stratton. We make small gas engines. If the prices people are paying for everyday items is higher the public may not be so fast to replace that mower or tiller with new ones.

My heart goes out to all in the wake of Katrina in and around the New Orleans area. We have been running pump & generator style engines all week at rate of 3600 engines aday. That is about 14,500 engines plus what we had warehoused was all shipped ASAP, from what I have heard.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you stopped smoking, hang tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    It's good that you are not going to let the higher prices stop you from enjoying fishing.

I need to cut grass today and after that I may get the boat out and go fishing too. I'll not have to travel very far.

I am sort of hoping that if I hole up for a week that the price of gas may come down a bit.

Everyone copes with this gas situation in a different way. Some will cut back on other things maybe and continue to fish.

I suspect that most will cut back on the travel time to the lake. ie they may start to fish closer to home. That is what I am going to do until the price of gas drops back down. Hope that does happen. If not then I will have to reevaluate this situation.

I stopped smoking to save money and to save my health. I don't drink bottled water. I don't drive very far and I purchased a small pickup truck that gets good gas mileage back before it was necessary. I saw the OPEC oil embargo and decided back in 1973 that my vehicles would be small and get good gas mileage.

It only takes me about 10 minutes to get to my fishing local fishing hole.

I do wonder if these higher prices will effect the number of people traveling this weekend? And I also hope that it does not effect those planning on driving to the Patoka Lake CrappieUSA Classic this next week or those traveling to the Teezur Crappie Fishing Tournament.