Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tbl With Gas Gage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tbl With Gas Gage

I have a 1999 Bass TRACKER Targa WT 18. When I fill it up with it only shows 3/4 of a tank. After I run for maybe 20 miles it starts reading from 1/4 to 3/4 of a tank. I got this boat last Fall and really love it. I can get to the sending unit pretty easy. My question is how can i determine if its the sending unit or the gage. I know how to read voltage and resitance but dont know what to look for. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

U can ground out gauge and it should read full if so gauge good. so look at sending unit U can bend rod coming out of sending unit to correct if unit good. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boatman 44

Thanks for the imfo, will try that next time at lake!

Post Thanks / Like

Remove the sending unit.

Hook an Ohm meter up to the center post and the grounding plate.

Move the sending unit arm through the entire range.

If the needle is not steady start to finish.
    Replace the sending unit.
    If the need is steady.
    Replace the gauge.

TMD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marine Dr.

This Is What I Need To Tbl Shoot, Thanks!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When checking like TMD says it should read from 35 tp 240 ohms.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel gage not working

I've just recently purchased a 2005 Tracker Targa with a fuel gauge not working. The advice posted above has been very helpful.

I've pulled the sending unit and hooked up an ohm meter and it moves between ~240 and 35 ohms as I move the float arm up and down.

I have power at the gauge (even with the sending unit disconnected) and if I short the terminals on the back, the gauge reads Full, so I think both the sending unit and fuel gauge are working.

I'm not positive that connections to the battery are correct. I have the pair of wires that go direct to the engine, another pair for the boat electrical system, and then a single thin black wire that the prior owner said should be connected to the positive terminal. It is only when this wire is connected to the battery that I get a voltage reading (12V) at the sending unit, but I have to connect the red lead from my multimeter to the ground on the sending unit and the black lead to the positive wire to get a reading. Does it make sense that this "extra" black battery cable should be connected to the positive terminal?

Revised post

The problem was battery hooked up incorrectly. The black wire I referred to above came direct from the sending unit and should have been connected to the negative battery post.
    Last edited by tracker_mlr; 07-03-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Fixed my problem