Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Rig Security Blanket

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Rig Security Blanket

This is a great security blanket especially after cold fronts or when those crappies run deep in the heat of summer. Crappie will be holding tight to bottom cover and tight-lipped, but they still need to eat and are catchable with the right presentation. Look for humps or other bottom-hugging cover in or near main-lake river channels. Fish straight down with a vertical presentation using small live minnows on a Kentucky rig, or very slowly "bounce" small spoons jigged just above the fish. A Kentucky Rig consists of two hooks about a foot or two apart with a bell sinker attached to bottom. I will oftentimes put a minnow on one hook and a tube on the other.

Add the live minnow to the top hook. The minnow kicks, flutters and activates the tube below. The tube in turn adds mass and a dash of color to your presentation, helping crappie to locate it quickly in turbid water.

Some of you may have seen this already. I guess that comes from being a teacher and school principal. I was a visual as well as hands on learner myself. :D:D:D:D Anyway, thought I'd post it again.

Here is a different version I sometimes will use too.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-24-2009 at 07:00 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, if only I could remember it when I get out on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

yes thats good, I have used that setup for years, and it has prduced well. but lately my best offering is a jig with a minnow.I keep it simple on my setup now, the work is keeping the boat moving right, man I love drifting into a school and having 5 or more rods bent over at once,
    you can waste alot of time sitting in one spot, but if ya got a producing honey hole, throw that marker an set that achore,
    fun stuff, when there biting lol

Post Thanks / Like

can't beat a ky rig when fishing bottom in deep water

Post Thanks / Like

thanks pic will always help newcomers

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink You're right Speckfinder ....

Quote Originally Posted by speckfinder View Post
    can't beat a ky rig when fishing bottom in deep water
    ... especially in a stump field :p (which is what the KY Lake Rig was originally designed for). But, I really don't think a 2/0 Aberdeen is necessary (as indicated in the picture). Even with a 20lb test main line and 10lb test leader lines ... I'm not sure you'd bend one of them open before breaking the leader line.

I'd say a #1 or #2 Gold or Bronze Aberdeen hook would be plenty big enough. I've caught enough 2+ pound, to almost 3lb Crappie from Barkley/Ky Lakes ... on #4 to #2 hooks ... to know that you don't need a Bass sized hook. Even when Bass fishing with plastics, I never use over a 1/0 :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

pap is right about hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Default The key is to make up a dozen of these rigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    Good info, if only I could remember it when I get out on the water!
    ...having a small snap swivel on the top end. Get yourself a piece of styrofoam noodle about 15" long and cut some small slices (not too deep) about 1.5" apart. Then, take the bell sinker and lodge it in the slot and wrap the rig around the noodle. When you come to a hook, just stretch it a little and embed it in the noodle. Open the snap swivel and embed it into the noodle and that will secure your rig for your next trip.

I make up about a dozen or so of them and they serve me well. Because I have the double hook set-up, it is easy to dip too low into the top and lose the whole rig. If I do, I just pop it off and usually, the swivel will come back to me. I just take another off the noodle (it's important to begin taking it off by undoing the swivel FIRST and slowly unwrap it opposite the wy you put it on) and hook the snap swivel into a regular swivel I have at the end of my line and wa-la. I lose virtually NO fishin' time.

It's REALLY fun when you get a double on the same rod. I LOVE it. When deploying into the water, take it slow so the hooks don't get tangled going down.

BTW, I use a loop knot for my small crappie hooks. The sinker allows you to feel the top of the brush top or the bottom--however you are fishing and it gives you the added advantage of knowing exactly where you are fishing. On my Lowrance 520, I can see both minnows and the bell sinker WELL and can manipulate it just where I want it.

So. If you have a noodle full of rigs, you won't forget to fish it...especially when you're having a little trouble finding the depth.

Have fun.

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 05-25-2009 at 11:51 PM.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... especially in a stump field :p (which is what the KY Lake Rig was originally designed for). But, I really don't think a 2/0 Aberdeen is necessary (as indicated in the picture). Even with a 20lb test main line and 10lb test leader lines ... I'm not sure you'd bend one of them open before breaking the leader line.

I'd say a #1 or #2 Gold or Bronze Aberdeen hook would be plenty big enough. I've caught enough 2+ pound, to almost 3lb Crappie from Barkley/Ky Lakes ... on #4 to #2 hooks ... to know that you don't need a Bass sized hook. Even when Bass fishing with plastics, I never use over a 1/0 :D

... cp

On my setup I am always using 6lb line with #4 hooks. Works for me.:D:D:D:D
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your pictures. I read all of these type of hints and forget most of them when I'm fishing. But when I see pictures of these rigs it helps me to remember them. I guess I just need visual aids to remember things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast