Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie fishing the last few days

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie fishing the last few days

I'm new to this "crappie" thing, but really enjoying it. Got out to Big Creek about 6 a.m. yesterday, till about 11. All I had was 4 minnows, but if I ran out of them, figured I could go to jigs. Well, had to go to jigs. Left with 9 decent crappies. This morning, I left home about 5 (a.m.). since I'm only about 4-5 miles from Big Creek, I was on the water before 5:30 (guessing). I left about 11 again, this time with 14 crappies. Yum!!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Gunner, welcome to the wonderful sport of crappie fishing. It can be tough at time, but very rewarding.
    Are you catching fish that early in the morning? I use to get out there early, but it never seemed to pay off. Getting on the water around 7:00 a.m. is early enough for me.
    Thanks,
    Slab_Seeker

Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting out early. I wake up around 3a.m. anyway, so it's easy for me to be out on the water at sunrise. I like to beat all the other boats out there. Don't like crowds, so will probably not be out there this weekend. I've had the most bites really early before other boats start showing up. I haven't been fishing much in the evening. Again, it's probably the "crowd" thing. I am considering getting up early tomorrow morning, and getting a couple hours of fishing in before church :-)
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Had just enough time this morning to hit the lake, catch 10 decent male crappies, get home to clean them, and make church at 9:30. It was a great morning! Hmm, wonder if anyone smelled fish during the service? (actually, i did shower)
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Gunner you are having too much fun B4 church. If the reverend is any kind of a man at all he will pray for you.

Post Thanks / Like

:-) Our church sponsers a "Sportsman's Extravaganza" every year, dealing with hunting. Last year we even had a demo on field dressing a deer. Did it in the school gym. I think our pastor would go along with the fishing.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim

I haven't made it up to big creek yet this year, and haven't had much look at badger creek either. I'm kind of up in the air about where to fish down here in central Iowa. I have a lot of luck back home in Northern Iowa - pulled in about 30-33 Crappie, couple sunnies, and about 30 walleye (or more) this weekend alone - all out of the same lake!

Hoping I can get this action down here!
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that sounds like some great fishing. Maybe I should come up there and let give me some fishing hints!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roberts Creek Slabs

10 yr old caught this one, First fish of the year, for him. Buddy holding it up for him. Nice little 14-1\2in crappie.

Neighbor and I went out the day after. 15-25mph winds, fished had moved out to deep water and bite was slow, very slow. Managed to pick up a few though.

Post Thanks / Like

I got skunked on the East side of Badger Creek yesterday fishing with jigs. People around me were hitting on minnows but all fish seemed rather small.
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast