Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow Tank Update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Tank Update

Well as summer heat moves in upon us the tank is still up and running and keeping fish. I only have about 100 minners in there at present and not sure if I should buy some more by the pound or not. I hear if they die and you arn't there to get rid of them you gonna have a stink on your hands not often smelled by anyone outside of the minnow business. Anyway, the little guys are great, temps are still cool. I'm getting a nice slime built up on the inside, not green yet but I hope it gets to that. I can post some pics if anyone wants to see it...Everything looks the same. The carbon added to the filter is 100% great advice and the venturi (sp) air system is next.

Post Thanks / Like

i added a vent in my tank that sucks air into the water using the water pump itself like an aquarium pump does and it fills the tank with bubbles. its doing a great job keepin the 30 dozen i put in it lively. i only had enough stuff on hand to do one tank last week. yesterday i got the stuff at lowes to vent my second tank. i bought two pounds of minnows i been keeping in my boats bait tank and i need to transfer em from the boat to the second holding tank. venting the tank will definately keep em alive a lot better.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I think keeping the water cool or cold seems to be the best insurance for keeping minnows. Has anyone ever tried making a water cooling system? If I ever get the chance to pick up one of those little fridges for a bargain, I think I'm going to try something. How about drilling a couple holes thru the fridges side to run some plastic ice maker tubing thru. Make a large coil inside the fridge, then run a small circulator pump to cycle the water thru the coils. The little fridge could serve dual purpose for other bait, or your beer.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have the old working fridge if you and Ronnie come pick it up.
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

If you do have any problems keeping minnows alive, I am sure that Cricket George from the Okie forum will have a solution for it. His business is working with biological water supplies and does raise and maintain his own minnows. He has recently been taking me to school on how to build a holding tank that I can keep in my garage that I can keep up to a 1/2 gallon of minnows in without having them die off. I don't need that many, and am only interested in saving leftovers from fishing trips. He said the biggest problem with keeping minnows is the waste they create which in turn produces ammonia, which kills the minnows. His method is very simple, and very effective.

The holding tank you have built seems to be a winner. With a few tweaks, you should be able to perfect it.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

The waste they produce is dealt with by the nitrogen cycle. It takes about 6 weeks to establish the bacteria required to deal with fish waste in a new holding cell. The more media for this bacteria to grow on the better, preferably in some kind of filter. For media, something with tons of surface area is best. It is also best to increase the population after this 6 week period, to avoid massive fish kills from ammonia poisoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I think keeping the water cool or cold seems to be the best insurance for keeping minnows. Has anyone ever tried making a water cooling system? If I ever get the chance to pick up one of those little fridges for a bargain, I think I'm going to try something. How about drilling a couple holes thru the fridges side to run some plastic ice maker tubing thru. Make a large coil inside the fridge, then run a small circulator pump to cycle the water thru the coils. The little fridge could serve dual purpose for other bait, or your beer.:D
    Some where in this forum I read where some one did that, only used copper tubing, worked well. use silicone to seal around the holes where the tubes go in and out.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catch fillet View Post
    I have the old working fridge if you and Ronnie come pick it up.
    You don't want to deliver it? :D Hear anything about when the next Slabfest is happening? We bought ourselves a nice slide in truck camper, should make our trips less labor intensive than tent camping, or a whole lot cheaper than renting a place. Looking forward to getting down that way again.

Post Thanks / Like

i built a tank and had all the minnows to die of, which wasnt around 3 dozen. my question, the water around here has massive amounts of lime in it, could that have been the problem or something else i did. i put the stay alive granules in it and had an aquarium pump , any help will be greatly appreciated

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango View Post
    i added a vent in my tank that sucks air into the water using the water pump itself like an aquarium pump does and it fills the tank with bubbles. its doing a great job keepin the 30 dozen i put in it lively. i only had enough stuff on hand to do one tank last week. yesterday i got the stuff at lowes to vent my second tank. i bought two pounds of minnows i been keeping in my boats bait tank and i need to transfer em from the boat to the second holding tank. venting the tank will definately keep em alive a lot better.
    How about a diagram Rango to show what you did?!?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast