Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hooks

Somebody (I think maybe Beagleman) had "sickle" hooks at crappie camp. If I recall correctly (remember, this was sitting around the campfire, so driving was out of the question at that point), he said that if you use them:
    (1) You'll lose less fish (and I had a whopper get off the hook earlier that day - caught a 15" that made it in the livewell but this one that got off at the surface was at least the same length but sporting broad shoulders.
    (2)They tend to get more "corner-of-the-mouth" hook-sets (like the circle hooks I use for cats). I understand how the circle-hooks work, but I'm not sure I understand the science behind how sickle-hooks get corner-mouth sets, because they don't look THAT much different than an aberdeen hook.

Can one of y'all explain these couple of things to a sickle novice?

AND for bonus points - can somebody tell me where I can get pick some up here in St.Louis (or anyway get some before we head to Truman next weekend)? I'm interested in jigs and also in #2/#4 hooks.

Thanks guys,
    Ralph
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The shape of sickle hooks makes them cam around and hook the fish through the top of the mouth in the hard part of the mouth. Plus they are sharp as h3LL. Ask rugs! I don't know of anyplace that sells them locally but buzzmanmo on this board makes them. Maybe you all can work something out. I thought they were a gimmick at first but my hook up rate increased significantly since I started using them.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've also ordered alot from this guy on ebay over the last couple of years. He pours all of his own jigs and makes any size and style you want. The prices are great and the hooks are extremely sharp. eBay Store - TCI Fishing Lures: Jig, Jighead, Tube Jigs

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ouuuuuch !!

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter View Post
    The shape of sickle hooks makes them cam around and hook the fish through the top of the mouth in the hard part of the mouth. Plus they are sharp as h3LL. Ask rugs! I don't know of anyplace that sells them locally but buzzmanmo on this board makes them. Maybe you all can work something out. I thought they were a gimmick at first but my hook up rate increased significantly since I started using them.
    Man Speck ain't kidding, I was tying these things with the wind and all they had to do was graze my fingers and I was bleeding all over. They are so sharp they felt like getting a shot at the doctor. I am seriously thinking about getting some.
    Quinn
    PS thanks for letting me use some of yours Chris #1
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I use em a lot of the time. They are extremely sharp. I do find that they break easier than the others. I have hundreds of both kinds in my jig box. Color and size determines which I use. I will be buying more when I need them.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it was me I sent you a pm wanting your address, to send you the 100 you wanted, but you never responded, I still got them, and you are welcome to them, I can still send them if you want or I can keep them and you can call BUZZMANMO and talk to him about what exactly you are looking for, he makes a good jig. 11 dollars per 100 later and good luck on the fishing trip, and when you say next weekend do you mean 30th and 31st, is so I could come up and give them to you, let me know, later man

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Beagle - I didn't see a pm back from you. Just figured it must have been my deoderant (or lack thereof) at Camp. :rolleyes:

We're coming up on Fri eve for the last weekend of the month. Do you live far from Bucksaw? (I don't want it to be a hassle for you). We'd be happy to stop by on our way there or while we're there!

Thank You Sir!
    Did you say $11? ("do I hear 12, 12.50, 13.....") :D
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

if you do your own try www.capitanhookswarehouse.com thats where i get mine,,good luck
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

no problem i live about 112 mi. from bucksaw, but I have a trailer up there so no problem, just let me know and I will probably be there, doesnt look like I will be fishing till thursday or friday, might as well do it at the trailer, so give me a heads up if ya'll come over towards the lake and we will hook up later man

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tombstone tackle Columbia MO

I bought some yesterday and they said they will ship them. Don't have a number handy sorry
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast