PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect????

ERNEST PATY
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
What do you expect when you go fishing?

In my opinion an average fisherman should expect a good days fishing to be one that ends with 10-25 fish in the well and something new learned by the anglers. Same for a good day with a guide except maybe a bit more learning.

To many average anglers read about the results when two really good anglers have an exceptional day, catching hundreds of fish, and expect that to happen to them before they feel that they had a "good day".

Don't compare yourself to someone who's a guide or very experienced angler. Remember that these guys fish almost every day and are just more experienced and tunedin with the bite. Form your own idea of a good average day and try for that and eventually you will get better.

Just being in the right place at the right time is not the whole game, being able to make them hit and being able to adjust to their weird moods is critical.

Be realistic and have a "good day".

Ferdi
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
ATTITUED makes the day fishing great. I always go with the attitude I am going to catch my limit and it works great. However, some days my limit has been zero, but on the days my limit is in the 10-15 area I seem to enjoy myself more. I have purchased a lot of the "How To" videos and books but it seems that the water sets my forgetter into high gear and I forget everything except having a good day on the water.
I really enjoy reading all the fishing articles posted on here, the stories, the pictures of kids of all ages going fishing with family members, you know all the good things in life. Then along comes someone that will let the air out of your sails for no reason other than self gratification. I feel for those folks cause they don't enjoy life.
Ernest, I am wearing out your video, and Russ's too but could you tell me how to keep from forgetting everything when the boat hits the water? Keep up the teaching, we all like it well most of us do. Ferdi aka Fred:D

blairarnold
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I have fun whenever I go, but I figure a decent trip is 2 guys catching 20 crappie in 4 hours.

Fatman
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I go expecting to catch something and if I don't it's MY FAULT I didn't do somthing right but I'm still out fishing and that beats cleaning house or doing laundry or dish's.

Ferdi - take it in the boat with you!!!!!!!!!! They have little portable dvd players that run on batteries so you can have it with you.

Fatman

deputyking
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
If your were to ask me if I have been catching any lately, then I would tell you about my trip last Thursday when I caught 30 slabs in 4 hours. I probably would not start off telling you about Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday when I couldn't get a descent bite. I have no trouble remembering the good trips I have had over the years but I seem to try and forget about the bad ones. When everyone does the same and tells you of only their good trips, then we seem to think that this is the norm and when we don't do as well then something is wrong. When we ask our kids how they did in their baseball game do we hear how many home runs or hits they had or how many times they struck out? We seem to only tell the good parts. I don't always see a big buck when I go hunting but it never stops me from going and have a good time.

DaveCourington
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Ernest, when is the second DVD coming out? We have been waiting for a long time. As was stated above, I have worn out my copy of the first one...

spiderkayaker
05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
if i learn something its a good day. and if i dont see any jet-skis its better.

skeetbum
05-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Hello Ernest. I have a slightly different take on this discussion. I am a somewhat experienced angler that is used to producing when I ply my knowledge. Then I moved from FL to TN. Throw that idea out the window. Whole new set of tactics. Had to go back to "crawlin" so I could learn to walk. My idea of a good day is going, and then forwarding your knowledge to improve the next trip. Like most, I learn something new each time I go. The friendships formed make even fishless days priceless. We are surrounded by many gifts each day, more so( I think ) when we step in the boat. Counting fish to judge a day is a big deal as you learn the skills. As you learn and get to pass along your knowledge you will find a different satisfaction, to me it's as good as a bucket of slabs. Good post, Ernest. And thanx for all you pass along.

DRPEPPER
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I never go alone expecting anything. Most of my fishing is alone, so I might do some experimenting or exploring.
But, when I take someone, I do expect to catch something. That is when I get frustrated if we don't.
DP

speckfinder
05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
just enjoy being out

Eager Beaver
05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I base my success on being able to figure out what the fish's mood is and what it takes to catch them. I don't base my success on numbers but figuring out where they are. Once finding them and catching them and then fine tuning your presentation for what they really want.
If I have someone with me than most of the time I won't catch as many as I could by myself. I try to make it so everyone can catch some Crappie. I don't try as hard to catch fish unless a kid is with us and then I make sure I get him or her on fish. If they get tired or have a hard time catching fish than I bring them up front and let them help run the boat and I will hook the fish and then let them pull it in. That way they can catch as least a few good sized fish.
We are going to have a down year this year, by this I mean that we will have to catch 10 fish to get a legal keeper. The last time I was out I was using a Chartruese Maribou jig and was catching quite a few small ones. They was taking the jig deep in their throats so I switched to a plain lead head jig with a Berkeley twister tail in pumpkin seed and chartruese. They stopped taking the jig in so deep and was easier to release them. Always be alert to what the fish are telling you they want and you will do fine.
The reason Guides do so well is the time on the water and knowing when the mood of the fish changes and what is going on in there world. EB

Ferdi
05-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I go expecting to catch something and if I don't it's MY FAULT I didn't do somthing right but I'm still out fishing and that beats cleaning house or doing laundry or dish's.

Ferdi - take it in the boat with you!!!!!!!!!! They have little portable dvd players that run on batteries so you can have it with you.

Fatman

Just ordered a 997c and should get it nest week, I'll play with that a few days then start fishing again. I don't want so many gadgets in the boat that I'll forget to fish. Learning something new each time is great, REMEMBERING it is even better. Thaking kids and friends fishing and even strangers is great fun. I'm blessed to have what I have and I like helping others get out and enjoy the sport.
Everyone remember to thank the Lord and a VETERAN this weekend for all you have and the freedom to enjoy it. Ferdi aka Fred:D

pstone
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
It just depends...If conditions are rough 5 keepers is successfull, and if all things are right a limit of barely keepers is unsucsessful....BUT I don't measure success by what other people are doing or have done...Either way I like trying to figure em out...

foul hook
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
A good day is being out on the water with friends catching a fish every now an then, and returning home safe. I just enjoy being out there. Right now I just wish that i could be out there.

Flat Foot
05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I guess to much

Turtlebait
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I expect to give it my best whether they biting or not,if fishing is slow I enjoy just looking at the over all view.By that I mean from tree tops,looking though the woods,watching airplanes,just looking around.

My only problem is throwing the first fish in the cooler,if the bite is off I'm in for a long hard day to catch a mess.

I took all the play petties out of the boat,no more seeing boat loads of fish under the boat.No more finding logs and brush piles under the boat,no more getting a glare in my eyes.
Nowever I do look at my qt.fruit jar with a soda bottle turned upside down in it.It tells me whether they biting or not,I know whether or not to pick up some crickets if I going to catch a mess.

skeetbum
05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
OK Turtlebait, 'splain the soda bottle thing.

CrappiePappy
05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
OK Turtlebait, 'splain the soda bottle thing.

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that :p

Turtlebait is using a homemade barometer ;) :D

... cp :cool:

Cane Pole
05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I know some folks whose heads would make good barometers. You know, constantly swelling up and collapsing.:p:p

old fuzzy
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
What Is A Successfull Day???when You Wake Up And See Daylight,,the Rest Doesent Matter To Much

hotdawg
05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
what i expect when i go is to relax and enjoy everything that happens. the way i look at it is i am enjoying who ever i am with my dad, son,wife,daughter,mom,friends,or by myself. if we catch something thats ok, if not thats fine to just enjoy your time with who ever your with

tchilds
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Depends on the day.

Cane Pole
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I expect to catch fish every time I go out. However, every time JeffW shows up, the fish go into hibernation.:(

I am no expert, but I am persistent. I have High Hopes like Frank's ant.:)

You youngsters go take a listen and learn a lesson.:cool::cool:

Music and Lyrics to the song High Hopes by Frank Sinatra - Rhapsody Online (http://www.rhapsody.com/frank-sinatra/the-best-of-the-capitol-years/high-hopes/lyrics.html)

gone_fishing
05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
what i expect when i go is to relax and enjoy everything that happens. the way i look at it is i am enjoying who ever i am with my dad, son,wife,daughter,mom,friends,or by myself. if we catch something thats ok, if not thats fine to just enjoy your time with who ever your with

Unless your a guide or paid a guide to fish that day I am not sure why anyones expectations would be higher. I want to catch fish when I go but I sure don't measure a day by what I catch. Actually those that do are missing out on something IMHO.

Cane Pole
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Unless your a guide or paid a guide to fish that day I am not sure why anyones expectations would be higher. I want to catch fish when I go but I sure don't measure a day by what I catch. Actually those that do are missing out on something IMHO.

Refer to link above.:)

Jiggin_Joe
05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
"some people fish all thier lives not knowing it was'nt fish they were after"
(author unkown)
JJ

Outlaw1&2
05-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Depnds on where you are on the ladder, I'm like CP, I fully expect to catch a mess, but if I don't so what, not a big deal, there's a whole lot more to it than just the fish catchin. I love the challenge and that's what keeps me going back again and again.

Turtlebait
05-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Thought everybody with a little age to them knew about the soda bottle trick lol.I try not to look at it before I go fishing but do when I return from a trip,its usually right about whether its going to be slow or good.
To make one you need a glass Qt. fruit jar and a glass soda bottle,fill the Qt. fruit jar about 1/4(or more) full of water,fill the soda bottle about 3/4 full of water.Turn the soda bottle upside down in the Qt. jar and slowly pick up the soda bottle until the water line is the same in both bottles.The water will go up and down in the soda bottle neck telling fishing is good or bad.The higher it goes up in the neck the better the fishing,the lower it goes fishing no good.
Several days last week the water line in the soda bottle was below the water line in the Qt. jar,slow slow fishing.Think it was last tuesday when I was a small bubble pushing out the bottom of the soda bottle,thats worse then lockjaw.
Like I have said before I really do not care if they bit or not and try not to look at it before I go b/c its usually right.

FrogHill
05-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I fish for Muskie, so I have days when nothing happens except burning Gas.
I just have fun being out on the lake and catching anything that bites.

drfishjd
05-25-2009, 03:34 PM
What Is A Successfull Day???when You Wake Up And See Daylight,,the Rest Doesent Matter To Much

Amen, Fuzz. Sometimes even when the fishing is good, best part of the day is what happens when you're out fishing. A good buddy and I were out on Truman about two weeks ago during the Missouri Board's crappie camp. I heard a loud squawking and screeching and saw a blue heron being attacked by two bald eagles. (He must have wandered somewhere he shouldn't of) He got nailed by one of them and flopped down in the water squawking like crazy and they flew away. I didn't know a heron can take off from the water, but he did. We'd caught alot of fish that day, but that's not what I'll remember.

Good fishing.

Arkie John
05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I consider it a great day when I don't have lake lice and skiers all over me at every turn.

The solitude of Lake Ouachita is enough for me to go back again and again and again.

Oh, btw, I even catch a speck or three along the way.

aj

CrappiePro
05-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Any Day I'm on the water is a good day, But as far as fish catching here is my scale and how I rate my day based on a 20 fish limit which is the limit of most the water I fish in ARK. 0-5 Keepers/Poor, 6-10 Keepers/Fair, 11-15/Good, 16-20/Outstanding. I love to catch that 6th keeper so I can always tell myself I am having a fair day. CP