Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why do some trees hold fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do some trees hold fish?

OSS mentioned this and I have thought about it a lot over the years and have tried to put together enough trees to fish to catch a limit. On Stockton there are trees that I always catch fish on and I often wonder why this tree is so much better than another. Yes I have graphed the area around the tree and looked at it on a map to try and duplicated the area around another tree. I just can not pin point why this one holds fish and that one does not well enough to duplicate it. With all that said I have fished a lot of trees in an effort to discover the answer, even though I do not think I will ever get this figured out well enough to duplicate it with any consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that I generally catch more fish around trees with denser cover (cedars for instance, or hardwoods with lots of branches).

I also have a theory that most of the trees I consistently catch fish off of are either on underwater points or ledges... in either case, they're in/on transition areas from deep to shallow water.

Just my humble opinion though... there are a lot more experienced guys on this board that'll offer insight.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just My 2 Cents

First I Like A Cedar Tree The Best..... My Reason After Time Cedars Hold The Green Gunk Much Better Which In Turn Brings In Small Bait Fish To Feed On....... Like I Say We Have One Old Cedar That 1,00o's Have Came Off Of..... Second For Me Would Be Hedge They Can Hold A Little Green Gunk..... Last Is The Hardwoods For Me, And My Few 2# Have Come Off Of A Big Old Stump And They Were Never More Than 4' Down...... What Do Most Of Us Make Crappie Beds Out Of? I Hope The Porcupine's Work I Have Built Will Know By October..... Stake Beds Are Great To, I Just Found A Free Supply Of Stakes 3 Miles Out Of Town,,,, Gotta Try Them Also..... Just My Exp.
    Last edited by olesilverside; 08-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

All trees are good some are just better that others!