Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Reels Question Have You Noticed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning Reels Question Have You Noticed?

Ok Call Me Lazy I Happen To Love A Good Open Face Spinning Reel For Crappie. I Have A Few Good Reels But Most Of Them Are Either Cheap Wally Marshalls, Zebco Or Bass Pro Brands.

My Problem Is The Reel Companies Seem To Have Stopped Making Spinning Reels With The One Finger Trigger To Open The Bale With. Has Anyone Else Noticed This? I Would Like To Find A Couple To Replace Older Reels! I Am Not Seeing Any Of The Cheaper Reels In Current Cabela's Or Bass Pro Catalogs. And I Have Been In The Bass Pro Store Here In Springfield And All They Have Is One For $59.oo. They Do Have A Couple Of Reels For $12.00 But They Are All Plastic.

When Your Around Your Local Tackle Shop Could You Please Take A Look Or Give Me Some Ideas Where To Look.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had much luck with those types of reels with the trigger. The trigger usually stops working. I never had a $59 dollar one though. May be the design was poor in the lower cost and they stopped making them.
    IDK just a thought.
    Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quantum still makes a nice one that fairly affordable to. I believe you can still get them at your local Wal-Mart. Have not used them for years since so do not cast much anymore. But they are a nice little reel.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Shimano a couple years ago that has the quick trigger but it's a bigger reel and I probably paid $59 for it. You're right, they're hard to come by. But the one I had before that (was a LOT smaller Shimano but they disco'ed that model) lasted FOREVER! I loved it.

So I was in Rogers last year and saw some set up...I forget what it was...Shakespeare maybe? Dunno...but it was a smaller, lighter reel with the trigger attached to a light-action pole for $20 so I bought it.

Junk.

Well....maybe not *that* bad, but DEFINITELY a difference. I know what you mean about the "all plastic" though!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rugsrme View Post
    I've never had much luck with those types of reels with the trigger. The trigger usually stops working. I never had a $59 dollar one though. May be the design was poor in the lower cost and they stopped making them.
    IDK just a thought.
    Q
    YOU KIND OF HAVE TO GET USED TO THEM. BUT ONCE YOU GET USED TO THEM THEY ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. IF YOU GREASE UP THE TRIGGER THEY WILL STAY WORKING.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Quantum still makes a nice one that fairly affordable to. I believe you can still get them at your local Wal-Mart. Have not used them for years since so do not cast much anymore. But they are a nice little reel.
    QUANTUM WAS THE BRAND THAT I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF. JIGGING HAVE YOU SEEN ANY IN WALMART LATELY? I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM DOWN HERE AT ALL. WALMART DID A BIG CHANGE OVER THIS SPRING IN THERE FISHING DEPARTMENTS AND STARTED HANDLING ALOT OF DIFFERENT STUFF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    I bought a Shimano a couple years ago that has the quick trigger but it's a bigger reel and I probably paid $59 for it. You're right, they're hard to come by. But the one I had before that (was a LOT smaller Shimano but they disco'ed that model) lasted FOREVER! I loved it.

So I was in Rogers last year and saw some set up...I forget what it was...Shakespeare maybe? Dunno...but it was a smaller, lighter reel with the trigger attached to a light-action pole for $20 so I bought it.

Junk.

Well....maybe not *that* bad, but DEFINITELY a difference. I know what you mean about the "all plastic" though!!!
    JOEDOG,

I HAVE SOME OF THE OLDER SHIMANO WITH THE TRIGGER AND A FIGHTING DRAG ON THE BACK AND I LOVE THEM. THEY ARE GREAT IN RUFF WATER WITH LARGE FISH. AND THEY ARE METAL. BUT YOU CAN'T FIND THEM ANYMORE. I WAS AT BASS PRO THIS SPRING AND WAS ABLE TO GET A COUPLE OF NEW HANDLES FOR THEM BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT ON THE PARTS. THE GUY TOLD ME IT WAS VERY HARD TO GET PARTS ANYMORE FOR THOSE MODELS. NOW SHIMANO HAS COME OUT WITH A ALL PLASTIC MODEL WITH A TRIGGER AND FIGHTING DRAG ON THE REAR. GRANTED IT CHEAP BUT I GOT ONE THE OTHER DAY AND I DON'T THINK IT IS GOING TO HOLD UP. RIGHT NOW SHIMANO IS ONLY MAKING 1 MODEL WITH THE TRIGGER IN METAL I THINK IT IS A 2500 SERIES BUT IT DON'T HAVE THE FIGHTING DRAG AND IT IS $59.00. WHAT I REALLY LOOKING FOR IS WHAT JIGGING WAS TALKING ABOUT ABOVE. BUT I JUST CAN'T FIND THEM.

DAN

Post Thanks / Like

DMW is absolutely correct! Once you've triggered, you stay triggered. I have found the same problem. I had an old shimano that I used for a good 15 years that finally shot craps a couple of years ago. Had trouble finding a good replacement for a less than 30 dollar price. Did find a WM at BSP, but it isn't quite the reel the shimano was.
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
    DMW is absolutely correct! Once you've triggered, you stay triggered. I have found the same problem. I had an old shimano that I used for a good 15 years that finally shot craps a couple of years ago. Had trouble finding a good replacement for a less than 30 dollar price. Did find a WM at BSP, but it isn't quite the reel the shimano was.
    YES I HAVE A COUPLE OF THEM AND LOVE THEM! AND THE NUT HEADS AT BP CLOSED THEM ALL OUT ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AGO! I WAS TOLD THAT THEY QUIT MAKING THEM! NOW BP IS PUSHING A WM UNDER HAND CLOSED FACE TRIGGER. AND I DON'T LIKE A CLOSED FACE REEL! I LIKE TO SEE THE MESS UP BEING MADE!

Post Thanks / Like

I was a triggerer,not so much anymore,since bugman got me started on them pflugers, anyway I have a couple or so of the trigger reels,I shall head to the barn this pm and see if I can locate same if I can, well then we may make a deal, and if we do make a deal, you best hang on to your well just hang on it will be rough, no seriously it will be rough, having said that i will go look later to tired now been up 45mi. still on second cup of coffee, later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast