Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawn, Technical Question for the crappie bios.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spawn, Technical Question for the crappie bios.

I have read several articles on the health of crappie populations and spawning in a body of water. The lake I fish regularly is overpopulated with black crappie and mostly males. This spring I have caught quite a few large white females but very few white males. My question is there a cross species that I would call a hybrid that comes from a cross between the two or do white females only lay eggs in white male beds and thus the white male fertilizes and protects its kind?
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to hear a good answer to that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find any articles that address a cross, I believe different species of bluegill cross.
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

I do know there are hybrid crappie here in Ms, but not knowlegeable as to how they are produced.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

We have hybrid crappies in some of our lakes here in ILLinois, they are officially classified as a hybrid and are a cross between black & white crappie. In fact state record hybrid was caught thru ice last year---15.+ inches.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sparky, as a novice I have basic questions about the crappie spawn and stuff. Where do I click to read articles like you are referring to?

I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Are you positive the Black males you're seeing are not actually White Crappie? The White males turn a very dark color during spawn and most mistake them for Black Crappie.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Good point, Reaper ....

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    Are you positive the Black males you're seeing are not actually White Crappie? The White males turn a very dark color during spawn and most mistake them for Black Crappie.
    It's not uncommon for spawning male White Crappie to be confused with Black Crappie. However, there is a pretty easy way to tell them apart ... count the spines on the front of the top fin .... 6 or less = White Crappie -- 7-8 = Black Crappie. White Crappie have their side coloration pattern in saddle strips (bars), whereas the Black Crappie have evenly spaced black blotches (spots). Black Crappie don't change color, or get more black coverage on their bodies, during the spawn. White Crappie males get more black on their fins, body and face. White Crappie females don't change color.

.. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you sure about that Pappy?

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    It's not uncommon for spawning male White Crappie to be confused with Black Crappie. However, there is a pretty easy way to tell them apart ... count the spines on the front of the top fin .... 6 or less = White Crappie -- 7-8 = Black Crappie. White Crappie have their side coloration pattern in saddle strips (bars), whereas the Black Crappie have evenly spaced black blotches (spots). Black Crappie don't change color, or get more black coverage on their bodies, during the spawn. White Crappie males get more black on their fins, body and face. White Crappie females don't change color.

.. cp
    I think the black males DO get darker prior/during the spawn, at least up here. See my post on black males. They are definitely blacker than males caught in same lake earlier/later in the season.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast