PDA

View Full Version : Spawn, Technical Question for the crappie bios.

sparky197
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I have read several articles on the health of crappie populations and spawning in a body of water. The lake I fish regularly is overpopulated with black crappie and mostly males. This spring I have caught quite a few large white females but very few white males. My question is there a cross species that I would call a hybrid that comes from a cross between the two or do white females only lay eggs in white male beds and thus the white male fertilizes and protects its kind?:confused:

foul hook
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I would like to hear a good answer to that one.

sparky197
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I can't find any articles that address a cross, I believe different species of bluegill cross.

feelay
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I do know there are hybrid crappie here in Ms, but not knowlegeable as to how they are produced.

jaxsprat
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
We have hybrid crappies in some of our lakes here in ILLinois, they are officially classified as a hybrid and are a cross between black & white crappie. In fact state record hybrid was caught thru ice last year---15.+ inches.

Chill
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Sparky, as a novice I have basic questions about the crappie spawn and stuff. Where do I click to read articles like you are referring to?

:cool:

booger1
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
read
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/12727-hybrid-crappie.html

Crappie Reaper
05-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Are you positive the Black males you're seeing are not actually White Crappie? The White males turn a very dark color during spawn and most mistake them for Black Crappie.

CrappiePappy
05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Are you positive the Black males you're seeing are not actually White Crappie? The White males turn a very dark color during spawn and most mistake them for Black Crappie.

It's not uncommon for spawning male White Crappie to be confused with Black Crappie. However, there is a pretty easy way to tell them apart ... count the spines on the front of the top fin .... 6 or less = White Crappie -- 7-8 = Black Crappie. White Crappie have their side coloration pattern in saddle strips (bars), whereas the Black Crappie have evenly spaced black blotches (spots). Black Crappie don't change color, or get more black coverage on their bodies, during the spawn. White Crappie males get more black on their fins, body and face. White Crappie females don't change color.

.. cp :cool:

yankee doodler
05-19-2009, 08:02 AM
It's not uncommon for spawning male White Crappie to be confused with Black Crappie. However, there is a pretty easy way to tell them apart ... count the spines on the front of the top fin .... 6 or less = White Crappie -- 7-8 = Black Crappie. White Crappie have their side coloration pattern in saddle strips (bars), whereas the Black Crappie have evenly spaced black blotches (spots). Black Crappie don't change color, or get more black coverage on their bodies, during the spawn. White Crappie males get more black on their fins, body and face. White Crappie females don't change color.

.. cp :cool:

I think the black males DO get darker prior/during the spawn, at least up here. See my post on black males. They are definitely blacker than males caught in same lake earlier/later in the season.

sparky197
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I am not mistaking white crappie males for blacks the whites have an obvious vertical pattern and are a darker what I would call blue color and the black males are coal black right now. When the color comes back to normal I have noticed that some of the specks are real light during the summer on some black crappie and I wondered if it were a hybrid. I just wanted to know the habit if they do cross or if they can distinguish between species and don't cross.

Mean Green 2
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't think he was saying they don't get darker I am pretty sure he was saying they don't get more dark coverage just what is already dark gets darker on the blacks.

CrappiePappy
05-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't think he was saying they don't get darker I am pretty sure he was saying they don't get more dark coverage just what is already dark gets darker on the blacks.

.... what I was saying !! Sorry if I didn't make myself more clear. And that wasn't from me ... it was Googled from some state DNR website. :p

As for Black Crappie & White Crappie crossbreeding ... YES, they certainly can & do !! KY's current State Record Crappie is a testament to that : 4lb 14oz Hybrid Crappie, caught by Ms Penny Hopper in 2005, from a Ky watershed lake.

They do tend to crossbreed when there are high numbers contained in small waters, more so than when in larger bodies of water. But, it still does happen, even in the larger water bodies. Hybrids will show characteristics of both species ... either in fin spine count or mixed coloration/pattern, or both.

... cp :cool:

Darryl Morris
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, they will naturally hybridize. There is no doubt this is one because it is a blacknose (definite black crappie genetic trait) but only has 6 doral spines (definite white crappie genetic trait). Notice the black spot pattern too. Some verticalness to it on the tail and the random spots on the front are larger and splotchy than on a normal black crappie

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/090223x.jpg

Here's another on the left:

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/090109x.jpg

kincade
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
There is a hybrid.....

sparky197
05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I understood what you were saying pappy about the color, the blacks' specks become darker. The white crappie males have unmistakable bars. So if there are an abundance of black crappie males in the lake than there is a good chance that there are quite a few hybrids because when I catch the big whites I am not catching white males. Good info!