Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Bass.

Any one catching any or fishing for them?

Post Thanks / Like

not any white bass but catcin some largemouth but all small
    If you can't fish with the big boys, keep it on the trailor

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to pick up on Truman Lake in Mo. on humps and points, plenty of water and corps dropping about 50,000 cfs a day this should get really good in the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught white bass this year up to about 2-1/2 lbs, mostly on twistertail grubs, a few on nightcrawlers and minnows, and Rattletraps. There's so many yellow bass in my area, it's hard to get to the whites. One day I was catfishing using bluegill fillets for bait on bottom, and got three big whites by this method. It surprised me. Another day at the same location, I was casting a Roadrunner with a twistertail to a railroad trestle piling, letting it sink to the bottom in the slack water, and catching big whites, along with many other species of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't they usually take of in later June and July. Never fished for them a lot but here you can get into a mess of them like crappie. How do you guys normally fish for them and where on a lake is a good starting point?
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink LOL !!!! .... Hey Jigboy

Quote Originally Posted by Jigboy View Post
    Don't they usually take of in later June and July. Never fished for them a lot but here you can get into a mess of them like crappie. How do you guys normally fish for them and where on a lake is a good starting point?
    ... you go dragging a bunch of jigs or crankbaits around, in Taylorsville Lake, and you'll eventually get into White Bass &/or Hybrids :D

When I fished T-ville with any amount of consistancy, thru the months of late May into Sept, I'd be on the lake at first light ... cast jigs for shallow Crappie, until I ran out of shaded banks or places to try ... then head for the mid-lake (horseshoe bend) area and start trolling. I trolled a Hot-n-Tot with a 1.5-2ft leader line tied to the front hook eye ring, and a 1/16oz marabou jig tied on the end. Also used to troll a Silver Buddy (white paint version), Cicada, other brands of blade baits, and caught'em on those, too. Casting a Kastmaster spoon, allowing it to reach bottom, and retrieving it with a pump/drop/reel cadence, also produced.
    Schools of Shad on the surface, and sporadic single/group surface jumps, usually indicated that Whites/Hybrids were likely in the area. When casting to the "jumps" didn't pan out ... trolling usually did produce a fish, every now & then.
    Boat traffic didn't seem to bother them much, either. I've seen jumps occur in the wakes/waves of ski boats, and most other types of boat. I troll right in there, amongst'em !! :p Now, you won't usually see group jumps in the wake/waves ... but, you will occasionally see some singles (and they're usually the larger fish).
    You needn't expect any Whites/Hybrids at Taylorsville to be all that big .... but, there are plenty of them in there. Anything that looks like a minnow or Shad, including the real thing, will get you bit

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I caught plenty of hybrids from T-Vill but never caught a white bass, not that there is that much difference. During the crappie run at T-Ville, everytime we would cross the lake I would speed up the trolling motor and catch two or three small ones everytime. Is Barren about the best hybrid lake in the state now? Haven't been there in years but the wife has made a list of places she wants to go to and Barren was on the list. I still like the thaught of hitting Cumberland under the lights. I can imagine that would be unbelievable.
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post You know, Jigboy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jigboy View Post
    I caught plenty of hybrids from T-Vill but never caught a white bass, not that there is that much difference. During the crappie run at T-Ville, everytime we would cross the lake I would speed up the trolling motor and catch two or three small ones everytime. Is Barren about the best hybrid lake in the state now? Haven't been there in years but the wife has made a list of places she wants to go to and Barren was on the list. I still like the thaught of hitting Cumberland under the lights. I can imagine that would be unbelievable.
    I can't rightly say, one way or the other, about Barren Hybrids ... never fished that lake. I can tell you, however, that Herrington has some bruiser Hybrids in it :p ... last one I remember hearing about was around 18lbs. Biggest Hybrid I ever caught was a 8lb'er out of Watts Bar ... but that was eons ago.
    I do, however, believe I've heard that Barren is "the" lake for Hybrids in size & number. You might PM "BadBrad" and check with him. I believe he fishes Barren for Hybrids (& other species).

You're right about it being tough to tell the diff between a small White Bass & a small Hybrid Striper ... but, not much difference in taste :p
    I've eaten 15" Hybrids from T-ville, back before I learned to cut out the red meat :o ... and I can't even begin to tell you how many White Bass I've eaten (mostly from Herrington, and back when I was a kid), red meat and all .... :D They were a little on the strong side of "fishy tasting", but I wasn't comparing them to Crappie, either .... just eating what I caught ... LOL !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I had a state game checker show me how they determine the difference. Open their mouth and look at the top of the tongue towards the back, a white bass will have one tooth patch a hybrid will have two tooth patches parallel to each other. They sure are fun to catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Jigboy ....

just happened upon this little tidbit, looking around on fishin.com :

A good night on Herrington - Fishing Discussion Board Forum Fishin.com

There's some "night fishing adventure" ideas for you ..... :D

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast