Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jighead thread below

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jighead thread below

I was reading the jighead thread just below here and wanted to post a question that hopefully I can get an answer to. Has anyone ever shot docks with weedless heads? I have been learning to shoot docks and the cross pieces under the water are working me over pretty good when I retrieve the jig back to the boat. I can tie a jig on pretty fast now though.:D After reading about the weedless heads I was wondering if they would work by allowing you to bump over the top of the boards.

Post Thanks / Like

By being weedless (we know they still will snag some weeds) that it will also help from snagging those cross-members as bad too. What weight are you using if you don't mind me asking.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I normally shoot a 1/24 size . What is the normal size that most folks use for shooting docks?
    Last edited by ccga; 05-17-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think mostly 1/16th and 1/32nd so that should be fine.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

if you're breaking off a lot of jigs, you can make your own by crimping on a splitshot on a jig hook....when you crimp it on, slip the end of a piece of yarn into the open mouth of the splitshot for color. When crimped, use a pointed object to fray the yarn a little making a yarn skirt. Cheap and quick to make....need not be painted. The penny type mashed splitshot will skip well...can also use soft plastics on the jig by supergluing them once treaded and leaving off the yarn. I think the weedless would work as stated, but i tend to think of weedless and fishless together.....just my opinion. Good Fishing, Mac if you like tinkering, you can also make weedless jigs by adding a loop of line by wrapping with superglue and thread to the hook shaft so it sticks out the back, then when putting on the splitshot, loop it around and over the hook point and into the shot....it's the type of weedguard the fly tiers use.
    Last edited by macon123; 05-18-2009 at 08:18 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Yep !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccga View Post
    I was reading the jighead thread just below here and wanted to post a question that hopefully I can get an answer to. Has anyone ever shot docks with weedless heads? I have been learning to shoot docks and the cross pieces under the water are working me over pretty good when I retrieve the jig back to the boat. I can tie a jig on pretty fast now though.:D After reading about the weedless heads I was wondering if they would work by allowing you to bump over the top of the boards.
    They work just fine !! I've been using them for about 15yrs (weedless jigheads, that is), and shooting docks with them for almost 10yrs. I rarely even consider casting a jig to wood cover, or shooting a dock, unless I have a weedless jighead tied on.

I've heard several people mention that they think weedless jigs might cost them fish, by causing the hook point to not penetrate. That has not been a problem, in my experience. I've used four different styles of weedless jigheads (different guards), and not had a problem with sticking fish with any of them.

Learn my "how to" on "Bowing to the jig", and you'll lose fewer weedless jigs

1/24oz is a "tween" size, to the most used sizes ... which are 1/32oz & 1/16oz. Generally speaking, I use a 1/16oz for most of my casting/shooting needs. If conditions dictate, I will drop down to a 1/32oz.

... cp