Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig bodies sliding off barb. Superglue?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig bodies sliding off barb. Superglue?

After a couple fish I find my jig bodies need to be slid back up the hook after almost every cast. Gets to be annoying. Desn't matter whether I'm using a solid jig body and a barbed jig or a tube on a tube-style jig. After awhile I'll swap out a new jig body.

I know some use superglue, but i also like to swap out body colors/styles and the supoerglue would seem to commit me to one body until I lose that jig.

Wondering how others deal with this.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Glue

I Really Like To Use If I Am Fishing Say 14' Or Deeper In Cedars Because I Always Wonder Did That Little Hit Pull My Jig Body Back..... I Take About 4 Or Each Of My 4 Favorite Colors Already Glued Up And Just Change, Usually I Lose A Few And Get To Experiment With All Colors. Just My Way... Tying On The Jig With Palomar Is Very Fast.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I just went throught this, I file the barb sharper with a 6" jewels file. I cast my jigs and the barb is to big and not quite sharp enough.

This also helps if you are ripping the jigs, not much problem with tubes but jigs like sliders will rip if the barb is to big.

If you use gulps they are just soft and you will need a sharp barb.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Wooley Booger Jigs use these jigs, less expensive and it will eliminate your issue.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Wasabi ....

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    After a couple fish I find my jig bodies need to be slid back up the hook after almost every cast. Gets to be annoying. Desn't matter whether I'm using a solid jig body and a barbed jig or a tube on a tube-style jig. After awhile I'll swap out a new jig body.
    I know some use superglue, but i also like to swap out body colors/styles and the supoerglue would seem to commit me to one body until I lose that jig.
    Wondering how others deal with this.
    I don't know what brand of plastics you're using ... but, I use Crappie Pro solid body tubes and don't have that problem. I used to, when using hollow body tubes ... and resorted to Super Glue. But, like you say ... changing out colors means ripping the body off, and basically destroying it, or cutting the whole thing off and totally retying. I'm using the P&S Custom Tackle jigheads, weedless versions, and have no problems with solid body tubes, Panfish Assassins, or Charlie Brewer Paddle Tail Grubs coming off.

You "could" try heating the head of the solid tubes (while on the hook) and pushing it against the lead head ... that might help hold it awhile. Can't really think of anything, short of glue, to keep your hollow body tubes on.

Hope you get it worked out, and find a solution. I know where you're coming from, 'cause I've been there :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

This happens with both hollow tubes and regular curley tail solid bodies. I have not tried solid tubes yet but figure they would act the same as solid curley tail bodies. I don't like the idea of preparing some ahead of time as I usually don't know what I'll be using until I'm on the water. Then I am trying different colors/styles.

The problem (for me) usually is once the fish start hitting, and/or blugill are snatching the pants down on my jig, then I'm constantly having the reset the jig body. At this point the jig is wet and I figure no glue is gonna set up quickly. I probably should then glue up a new jig/body with the color they are hitting and let that dry while I fish a few more minutes. Then switch over.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Someone posted this last year using craft wire from craft store.

Post Thanks / Like

Jus' superglue...and hollow bodies on non-barbed jig heads. I like the hollow bodies so I can inject nibbles into them. Nibbles last hours that way. If I can, I use barbed jig heads to eliminate the issue completely...and the superglue.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Superglue works for me. I do a bunch of different colors before I go fishing. Also keep some in my tackle box. Fish don't seem to smell it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with Superglue, be sure to get the gel formula............trust me and don't ask why.

They make something called Fisherman's Pro glue that would probably be much better though.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast