Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1964 Evinrude Lighting 3hp, oil mix ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1964 Evinrude Lighting 3hp, oil mix ?

Hello, I got a 1956 3hp Evinrude Lightwin 2 cycle outboard motor. On the motor it says " Mix 1/2 pint of S.A.E. 30 Outboard oil to one gallon of gasoline"
    Here's the questions: all I can find is Marine 2-cycle outboard oil with no mention of S.A.E 30 on the bottles. So is this the right stuff ? Next, by my chart I get a 16:1 mix (8 ounces to one gallon), is this correct with this modern 2 cycle oil ? Alots changed since 1956 , so just want to make sure I don't blow this motor. -Thanks

* note I was told it was a 1964, the serial number is 3018-04243 , this makes it a 1956 *
    Last edited by kyron4; 05-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Use an NMMA TCW3 outboard motor oil, available at most auto parts stores, sporting goods stores, etc. When that motor was built, there were no outboard specific oils. The oils we have today are much better for that outboard than a non-detergent 30 weight will be.

I think for a pre-1964 less than 18hp should run a fuel to oil ratio of 24:1.

Take a look at this link, and change the drop down menu to "Oil/Fuel".
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Yes on the good quality 2-Cycle oil. I have a 1960 3Hp Evinrude. I mix it at 25:1 and keep that in a seperate plastic tank.
    Some guys say the newer oils are so good you can go to 50:1 but I dont think I'll treat my motor that way.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D