Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera

Post Thanks / Like

Question Digital Camera

I have a good 35mm camera, but it seems that everything is going digital.
    We have decided to get on board, but I am pretty much digital illiterate.
    I know a lot of you have these cameras and would appreciate any information
    about what to buy.
    I want to keep the price below 250. if possible. Will use for fishing pictures
    and normal family use and some use on vacations. I think I want it to have charging capability.
    Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Thanks...Joe

Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of different brands, but many of the internal components are manufacturered by just a few different companies. Any of the name brands (ie Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, HP, Samsung, etc) will do you just fine. I'd look for something in the 3.5 megapixal resolution (or better). 3.5 to 4 megapixals seems to be about the average resolution these days and you should be able to get a good camera in your price range. Obviously, your camera will have zoom. A digital 2X or greater zoom feature is nice.

I've got a 3.5 megapixal HP Photosmart that cost me well over $450 when I got it a couple of years ago. Now, a comparable camera sells for about $150. It's got 6X zoom and digital 2X zoom. It can even tape short movies. 3.5 megapixals makes for huge, high resolution pictures. I don't plan on replacing this camera until it simply breaks or wears out.

Getting the camera you want will require shopping. The good part is is that if you buy one of the major name brands, you'll get a good camera. And $250 will buy a good name-brand camera. You just have to look around until you finds one you just like.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,,, I'm in the same boat with ya. :D I just bought a Canon PowerShot A510 for $199.99 from Cabela's. It's fairly easy to use and some simple instructions to do what we want it to do. It will do amazing things if you want it to. I'll prolly never use all it will do! Heh! Heh! Heh! Uses AA batteries and can have rechargeable added. As I asked several knowlegeable camera buffs, they said for the $$ this was a GOOD purchase!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy the highest megapixeled camera which you can afford. Another important feature to focus on is a high powered "Optical" zoom level. This will allow you to take the "right in your face" pictures you might want at sports events, or out in the nature. Digital zoom will give you digital representations from a very long ways away from your target, but with much less quality and definition(pixilated). IE see the Lice on the Eagle's face verses see that blurred eagle in the tree on the left. I also would suggest getting a camera that accepts standard MMC cards instead of only accepting Camera brand specific cards. This will give you a bigger bang for your buck - usally enables larger memory storages capability choices as well. My 2 rolls of film on it anyway!

<,"}/>{Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how or what controls the amount of time that it takes any digital camera to actually "take" the pic....but I got tired of the slowness of my Nikon coolpix. It takes great pics...just slow. I went up to a D70 for instant results, and the ability to use my 35mm SLR lenses. I love it...but it ain't cheap.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lumix by Panasonic. Two things I like are: 1) it is not the smallest one on the market so it fits my hand better and: 2) the image screen is the largest I've seen and that helps if ya got old man eyes
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Olympus D630 Zoom it is 5 mega pixels. The Cannon A520 4 mega pixels. I like the D630 more pixels easy to use even for me the 520 is a good one too almost bought it. Need extra battery, charger, usb, power adapter. Get as big a card as you can handle I have a 128 and 256.
    Last edited by ribit; 08-30-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wife & I both have digital cameras by kodak (EasyShare). Her's is the DX4530 that has better lens than my DX4330. Either camera along with several others has proved great for fishing photos, family pictures and some close-ups of flowers.

I experience where on a business trip I took my camera and the other fellow with me took the company $700. Cannon. When we compared pictures corporate folks wanted mine. That tells me it is not all in the price.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe- Camera

Joe, it sounds as if you are getting good info. 1st, I'd make sure it has image stablelization. Makes up for the movements. 2nd, get the biggest OPTICAL zoom you can for the money. Digital zoom isn't that important. Mine is a Sony, bigger body, for a guy with big hands and fingers. Good luck Clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast